Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
__Simon Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I have been learning how to photoread for about two weeks now, but haven't had any success yet. My main guess is that I haven't been able to enter the photofocus state properly.

I have been practicing seeing the blip page and now if I concentrate on doing it I can get a blip page that's about an inch and a half wide. But when I start turning pages it shrinks to about half an inch because my concentration goes down. I can read the words on the blip page, especially the left page part that consists of the blip page because my left eye is dominant. The interesting thing is I can see the blip page extremely easily when I take my glasses off (almost two inches, and no problem when turning pages). The only problem is then I have to kind of close up on the book towards my face to read the letters since my eyes are bad without glasses, which is why I'm practicing trying to see the blip page with my glasses on. I'm curious if I should keep on practicing trying to see the blip page with my glasses, since it kinda looks like I'm improving on it, or if it doesn't really matter whether I see it or not and should just focus on the x-technique or something.

I'd really appreciate your help, Thanks!

Simon, Vancouver

__Simon Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh, and actually, I have another question about the photofocus state.

I can see the blip page in three ways.

1. Cross-eyed
2. Looking in the far distant and then putting the book in front of my gaze, which produces the blip page but with blurry text as if I'm far sighted.
3. Looking in the far distant and then putting the book in front of my gaze but I somehow focus so that I see the blip page with text that's still readable. (This is the one that I mentioned above that I said I'm currently practicing)

When I'm doing number 2, I can flip pages and I have absolutely no problem maintaining the photofocus state; it's easier to do. Method 3 is the one i'm practicing right now. Could someone please tell me which method is correct? Thanks!

Hi Simon,

1. No, that wouldn't be good for you...
2. Sounds spot on to me... remember you don't HAVE to see the blip page to be in photofocus
3. Remember your eyes don't read... your brain does that, relax and let go of the need to read the text, try turning the book upside down first, you might find yourself getting in to state and relaxing quicker.

Matt

__Simon Offline OP
OP Offline

So when I'm in photofocus state, I should be unable to read the text?

(in other words, if I can read the text on the blip page, it's wrong?)

Simon,

It doesn't matter, relax and ignore the text, your conscious mind wants to read the text, ignore the urge and relax your focus. If you don't see the blip page then imagine your "X" across the page. Photoreading the book upside down may help you in this.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:

So when I'm in photofocus state, I should be unable to read the text?

(in other words, if I can read the text on the blip page, it's wrong?)

It sounds to me like you're forcing cross-eyed reading maintaining focus with the fovea. For PhotoReading you use the peripheral vision not normal focus so a different part of they eye sensing system comes into play.

The text will be blurred especially in the beginning as you become used to using the non-conscious focus consciously the text may come into focus with a sharpness that seems to lift off the page.

It doesn't matter a soft gaze is and imaginary X-technique is all it takes to PhotoRead. Too many people think if it doesn't work this is where they are doing it wrong. Not so. They are usually short changing them self with activation and purpose.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved