Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I have a problem that I am not even sure I can articulate clearly. Here goes an attempt:

I have learned some other qigong methods. I was recently certified as a teacher in one of them.

Before I had even begun that school and those qigong methods, I had been doing SFQ for about 9 months very regularly (at least an hour a day, but quite often 2-3 hours a day, usually active/sitting 50/50).

The only reason I began with this other school, was the teacher is the mother of my wife's acupuncturist and is a quite well known, famous and accomplished qigong teacher. And it turns out she lives about a mile from my house in this little cow town I live in!

She advised me that it would be better to stop practicing SFQ until I had learned the first form she taught for at least a year or about 300 hours of practice, whichever came first.

To make a long story shorter, if not short, I learned two other forms/methods of qigong (she is certified as a teacher in 10 and has trained teachers in about 7. Her credentials and history are quite beyond question) from her and was eventually certified as a teacher in one of them, the simplest of the three I learned.

However, I did begin practicing SFQ again after about 6 months of learning with her (it was about 300 hours of practice at that point, including practicing every day with her, which I have done for about a year).

But though I have learned all this wonderful theory, knowledge and even some valuable qigong experience, I have never liked this school or any of the three forms I learned as much as I liked SFQ.

Before learning SFQ, I had almost 30 years practice and learning with Tai Chi Chuan (including pushing hands, slow and fast forms, weapons, fighting and applications) and a lot of healing qigong. I had also taken private lessons from a qigong/Tai Chi teacher in SF, CA for two years.

But other than my first Tai Chi teacher back in the 80's in Los Angeles, I have never enjoyed or received so much benefit (and in such a flowing manner) as I have from SFQ and my limited long distance experience with Chunyi Lin.

I guess my main conflict is not so much the time I have put into this other school, nor the lineage, but rather, there are now students around here who I can practice with, as well as the teacher (with whom, despite my admiration, respect and gratitude for what I have learned from her, some personal reservations and/or uncomfortable karma).

With SFQ, although I am signed up to do the Triple Fortune seminar in Nov here in SF and I would love to attend one of the SFQ workshops either next time Chunyin Lin comes to California, I have no one to practice with. I have been very motivated in the past, but I find it gets harder for me without a group of people to sometimes practice with and/or a teacher. And that was the reason I began with this other teacher in the first place: it felt like a gift from the universe--and it was! No matter what else I do, I really did get a MUCH deeper understanding of qigong in general. And though I might not ever teach that first form I learned (I don't really like it that much, although it is relatively easy to learn and teach. And it does have some good qualities. But it is no where near as easy to learn or to teach as SFQ, at least for me), going through over 30 hours of training in it, including the advanced class and the teachers' certification training, really did deepen and broaden my understanding of qigong and gave me a lot of insight as to how it works and the similarities and differences between schools, exercises, teachers and approaches.

But I am still left with this very strong yin/yang imbalance: one school or method I like a lot, has so many ideal qualities that I admire and have practiced and received benefit, and another school of MANY methods, that is overwhelming to me, has some negative feelings attached to it now, I do not like as much as SFQ, but I have fellow students here and a teacher all local!

Maybe the answer is clearer, even as I write all this, yet I still feel a little lost (just completed a 16 hour Level One training yesterday in Soaring Crane Qigong the most subtle and complicated of the three forms I have learned).

I should add here a very important point (or collection of points) : I have ADD, am very busy with other career issues and family, and I have trouble staying motivated and focused anyway. The one great thing about this local teacher is it gave me a routine every day at 8AM to practice with my teacher (and I was usually the only one who showed up). I need to focus. But I am not sure what to focus on.

I guess another factor, is some of the Tai Chi forms I have lost by not practicing through the years. I miss them sometimes. I still can do and do dust off from time to time, the slow Yang School, Kai Ying Tung family long form, Fast form #1 and as short broad sword form. But I lost the double short stick form, Tai Chi (straight) sword, family fast form #2, the two person form, most of the push hand forms, and most of my advanced skills from lack of practice for almost 20 years.

I guess I feel that now that I have learned all these other qigong forms, most especially the beautiful, subtle and famously effective Soaring Crane, that I will regret not practicing these some day also.

Oh well.. I don't know if this post even made any sense or if there is anyone who can offer any suggestions or helpful comment, but I must admit it helped me to write it!

Last edited by shakurav; 09/10/07 08:05 PM.

blessings,

Steve

YIKES!! If I had done as many things as you have done, and still had to have a job, family, etc, I'd HAVE to have ADD to keep up!! :-)

I hope you heard in your writing what I got in the reading, which is this: I think you're missing the point. If you were fully into a practice that combined your energy with universal energy, and balanced your yin and yang, you wouldn't have to ask these questions. They wouldn't matter. Calmness and peacefulness and giving and receiving loving energy would be the measure of your practice and how it is affecting your life.

Do you NEED to be a teacher? Do you need so many hours of things to do? Maybe. But I think the practice that is the right one for you is the one that lets the answers to your questions show themselves to you in the practice of it.

I live in Berkeley and I'm going to Minnesota for the retreat in October. I'm not big on traveling, but I felt I wanted a quiet getaway and this mail came and I was really drawn to go, so I am! I'm following an instinct that I didn't know I had. I suggest you do the same. Let the practice answer your question. If it's not after 300 hours or a year or whatever, move on. If you still have a question, you need to go elsewhere for the answer.

my two cents,

rachel

Hi,
Auspicious time of year to reflect on your practice and choices. Happy New Year.
Writing feelings down is a great way to then hold them in your hand and look at them. Some of your self observations are worth rereading. Your heart speaks clearly here and there.

There is so much qigong out there these days. So many qualified teachers/masters taking advantage of people, or just exhibiting very human traits less than perfect. If someone told me to stop doing SFQ for the above reason of needing to practice their way first, I would know that they aren't being honest with me, regardless of their credentials. They may know a lot about qigong, have power,but that doesn't mean their intentions are completely above questioning. Master Lin is what I would call a higher profile master, nationally, and that can make one a target within the 'business' of qigong ,seeking recognition, or a piece of the pie. There is absolutely no sense in someone saying it would be better for you to stop SFQ and do their qigong. As westerners, in general, many more of us know quite a bit more about internal energy systems. The nuts and bolts to them. There is less mystery to infer, and with that, the ability to better influence or control people.

You mention having ADD. So, you are working with a blockage, and have all this martial, martial qigong based experience, along with SFQ, and some other qigongs. All the stuff keeps you busy, but at the same time, I would assume that you want to effect/transform the ADD. Self heal from that blockage, as well as enjoy these other things. Medical/spiritual qigong is what is going to be most transformative regarding the ADD. It involves you more with the middle dan tien, or heart center, as well as the lower dan tien/physical body. Given your extensive martial experience, you have the lower dan tien well seasoned and covered! I feel you would benefit most from SFQ practice as a base, then do as you can find time to do regarding your Tai Chi interests. Tai Chi can satisfy the interest in more complex movement, and it is essentially a type of qigong too. I see no reason in other more complex qigongs along with all that. I also don't think one can advance very easily with too many practices , all wanting mastery.

Have you ever done healing work on friends or other people? It is a whole experience in itself. It gets you working with other people, and can segway into teaching a bit. You would have more control of scheduling, location, and you can stay as busy with it as you want. Helping others also helps you in regards to your own unfolding. I don't think everyone involved in a qigong self practice, realize how different an experience working on others is. It is animated with spiritual presence, blessings, as well as providing a wonderful means of learning and growth. Compassion, both towards self, and others, is a huge piece regarding a higher level practice and transformational growth.

Meditation is also an important piece. It is more focused on in higher levels of SFQ. It is easy to get preoccuppied with all the active movement, qigong exericises, martial forms out there. There are higher energies, like wisdom, truth, compassion, love, that all become 'more tangible as experience', as one progresses with meditation. Your active movement will improve too. It would be beneficial to you to keep going in SFQ. Level I and II is enough to stay very busy with, especially if you start doing healing work. That in itself will bring much progress in understanding and experience. If you do healing work, the universe supports that big time. I went from total martial, to total spiritual/healing once in my life. I experienced a tremendous contrast in what energies came forward to support what I was doing, and how much bigger the stage was that I was working on. I enjoy both, try to find a good balance, but know my more significant growth is through meditation, and helping others.

Focus is something you can accomplish mechanically by simplifying your pracitice. Your thoughts will settle down with that too, and you can do better for yourself and family as well as your self practice.
love,
gallen

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

OP Offline

Thank you all for your responses: especially Shawn! Right back at you, buddy!

These were helpful and yes, I do hear in what I wrote my answer...

I should take up golf!

Just joking...

Seriously, Rachel and Gallen, thanks for your thoughtful and very helpful replies.

I do feel back home with SFQ.

Part of the problem, was it was great to have a local teacher, she is a very incredible woman, 74 years old and healed herself with Soaring Crane Qigong over 25 years ago and has really learned a LOT about qigong. I really did learn a lot from her and am grateful to the universe for that entire experience. One of the things I learned was how much (more?) I love SFQ! How much better it suits me.

But even though I was already enjoying SFQ before I met my local teacher and began this year of intensive study, what I learned from her, was very enhancing of my appreciation in many ways.

Plus she had honored me by allowing me to lead the local qigong circle. We would have a monthly get together and meditate a bit, share some food and beverage, watch a spiritual film short (that I would pick) and then have a discussion (which she allowed me to lead).

So part of the process was a kind of mourning. The last weekend was a Soaring Crane Qigong two day introduction to Level I. I kind of knew it was goodbye, but was in denial.

After writing the stuff I wrote here (in two drafts!), working it out with my ADD therapist and reading your responses, in addition to talking it over with my wife, my Dad and a friend, it became clearer what was already clear, I think to you all.

Still, good process!

Although I cannot afford the SFQ retreat in Oct this year (and hope to do it either next year or in the next few years), I will attend Triple Fortune and that will be a good affirmation and support for now.

The SFQ center said that they are working to put together (with permission of course) of members of the SFQ guild nation and worldwide, so that those of us who practice SFQ can do so together sometimes.

Maybe we can also use this forum to ask if there are others like us in our areas who can meet at least periodically and practice SFQ together. I find this very motivating.

Thanks again, all.

Last edited by shakurav; 09/15/07 01:45 PM.

blessings,

Steve
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha shakurav,

Yes, the Spring Forest Qigong International Guild is having members check on their registration if they are willing to be contacted by other members in the area. Along with the other benefits of being a member, I believe they can send an email to the director with their email and location. Robert will forward it onto anyone in the database in that area and it's up to them if they would like to respond to the member or not.

Much Love, Shawn

OP Offline

Thank you, Shawn. I am going to renew my membership and pay my dues. In this way (and by attending the Triple Fortune Seminar in SF in November), I hope to connect to other SFQ practitioners in my area in the near future.

Love and blessings...

blessings,

Steve

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved