Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SarahC Offline OP
OP Offline

Good Morning. I am 1/2 way through level 1 and I am curious to how I can apply Qigong to acquire fat loss.

I completely believe in "it" healing tumors, cancer, etc. How do I apply it to fat loss?

Thank you.

Though not an expert, I think I can at least help a little bit:

Qi is energy. Gong is work (or practice or discipline).

Calories are ways of measuring energy (qi). Fat is stored (excess) energy. Qigong works on energy blockages and helps move the energy around.

It is also a form of exercise.

But essentially it is Gong on your qi. Work on and with your energy.

One of the things Chunyi Lin says at the beginning of the Level I video is "Stand with your knees slightly bent. If you want to lost weight, bend your knees a little more."

I think that many people will find, that if they stand with bent knees (weight should feel like it is on your feet and in your thighs, NOT on your knees. If it is in your knees, you are either standing in the wrong posture, or your are bending too much), they will burn more calories.

By unblocking energy and working on one's energy, all kinds of things can be helped and healed.

Just as cancer is excess and blocked energy, so too is fat. I am not sure, but I think that fat may be an easier one to unblock in many cases, but not all.

One's mileage may vary.

It also depends on how much work ("gong") one is willing to do.

If one can do two-three hours of qigong a day, probably the results will be greater and faster.

But the most important thing is being in harmony and continuing to work with and the energy.

Last edited by shakurav; 09/19/07 05:03 PM.

blessings,

Steve
SarahC Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you.

Since I only have Level one. Are you suggesting that I repeat the same hour twice or three times a day?

Quote:

Thank you.

Since I only have Level one. Are you suggesting that I repeat the same hour twice or three times a day?

In a word: yes!

But having said that, there are some variations that allow more than an hour, but divided up through the day.

Although I have Level I & Level II, I have only gone all the way through Level I and thus far, that is all I practice, also.

Level I is a very modular system. You can do 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, a half hour, an hour or two or more.

My rule of thumb is to try to do a 50/50 division between the active exercise and sitting meditation. So if I can only do a half hour of practice total, I do 15 minutes of active and 15 minutes of sitting. If I can do two hours, I do an hour of each.

However, there are times I can only do a few minutes of one or the other. Then I might do only 10 minutes of active (or sitting). I might do 10 minutes of "Breathing of the Universe" or 15 minutes of "Harmony of the Universe". Even if I have more time, I often like to do a longer "Harmony of the Universe". It is my favorite part of the active exercise.

Then, I might do an hour (or a half-hour or 15 minutes or whatever) of sitting later.

I think it is important to do both some active and some sitting (or whatever position you do the Small Universe and/or Self-Concentration in: standing, sitting or lying down) as much as possible (always keeping in mind Chunyi Lin's spectrum of "good/better/best").

Chunyin Lin emphasizes and my experience bears it out, that some of the best "kung" on your "qi" is done in the sitting meditation. Nevertheless, it is important to do the active work to help open up the channels and get the qi flowing.

It does not have to be the entire one hour recording twice or three times a day for the active exercise.

But if you have two or three hours, that would be great. Just also do some of the sitting meditation as part of that two or three hours.

It is a kind of "playful" system, where you could do pieces of the whole thing or even pieces of pieces.

Once you learn the sequence (which can take a different amount of time for different people. It took me about a week), you can do any part of the whole active exercise or even the entire thing, but with less time for each section either without any audio playing, or using the included meditation music or any meditation music you choose. So, for example, when I only want to do a half hour total, I would use either track on the CD INNER BEAUTY for my active exercise. Then I will play either the half hour or the hour version of SMALL UNIVERSE (I think the hour version may only come with the Deluxe course, but you can just play the half hour version twice CD 6 track 1). I use the music (or even the coaching on CD 5) as much or more for a timer, than because I need the sound.

If you are still learning the sequence or the exercises, you can either use the DVD or the CD and if you have time to do the entire sequence, great. If not, just click >> or fast forward to go to the next track.

If you can do an entire hour once in the morning, try and do at least another few minutes at least once or twice more in the day. If you can do a whole another hour two more times, that is best. If you can only do a half hour total, broken up into two 15 minute SFQ sessions, that is still good. If you can do two half hour sessions that is even better.

The point is, the more you do it, the better. But the most important thing is consistent practice. So, IMHO, it is better to do a half hour every day at the same time (or even 15 minutes), than it would be to do two hours one day, then nothing for three days, than another three hours three days later.

The results may take longer, but you will probably get more consistent results.

But if you can do one hour a day, every day, I feel that you will get very palpable results probably within 3 months or less.

I am simply saying (hence my simple "Yes!" in first sentence), that if you can do TWO hours or more every day, you will get even better results.

Or even one and half hour a day, with three half hours broken up throughout the day: one in the morning, one in the early afternoon, and one in the evening.

I also recommend visualization either during or right before practice. Visualize or feel yourself physically how you want to be. See it or feel it as if it is true right now. I think that too can enhance the practice and the results.

I hope what I said makes sense, is helpful and responds to your question.

Feel free to ask more or again. You can PM me if you just have specific clarifications about my response. But you can also ask again and I am sure Shawn or others can help more.

Good energy and healing to you!

blessings,

Steve
SarahC Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks once again. :-)

Quote:

Thanks once again. :-)

You are most welcome.

blessings,

Steve
SarahC Offline OP
OP Offline

I do have a question - In the DVD on lesson 1 - it shows the basic steps on how to heal someone else. Can I follow those steps on myself? For example. the chopping motion, drawing motion, patting motion?

From my limited understanding, the answer is yes. However, I would advise to a) search the forum for other answers (and I think it has been tackled here before and I think even recently) and/or b) start a different topic with that question, since it is really a different subject (although it could be related by using the sword fingers and other healing techniques to help with weight loss! )

blessings,

Steve

Hi SarahC,

You can use the sword fingers on yourself. When I first tried it, it was so easy I thought, it can't have actually worked. After several successes, I think I've finally convinced myself. You don't need a lot of practice to make sword fingers work either. At least for most aches and pains. Also, within the last month Shawn described how you can work on yourself using a mirror. That post should only be a few pages back.

As to fat loss. The Spring Forest Qigong center does have a weight loss DVD. It's not listed in the store but you can call for one. The last I knew it was around $20.00.

"I also recommend visualization either during or right before practice. Visualize or feel yourself physically how you want to be. See it or feel it as if it is true right now. I think that too can enhance the practice and the results."

Please allow me to add to shakurav's very helpful direction, the above one leading to an important point. SFQ is message healing. So, if you go to level II material, you have all this additional technique and another set of exercises, but, the core of the theory employed is this simple message healing. You take away an idea, and put a new one in, via message . The message 'should' be both in the form of visual, and in the form of spoken or unspoken verbal messages/confirmations. This is simple, and it can be accomplished in your level I exercise and meditation. As Shakurav suggests, visualize how you want to look before or during your exercises. I would ad, make the internal statements too. Put the new message in. Just with visualization and internalized verbal affirmations/statements , both as 'message', with a focus on level I active, I believe you will be doing the best you can with your goal of losing weight. Meditation along with your active exercise, helps with the whole of the process, which is both physical and in regards to your spirit. Exercise, work, reflection, understanding/wisdom, growth...

Another important aspect to look at is lifestyle choices. Qigong should be done in combination with a healthy diet. We are subject to the laws of the physical universe. Qigong does not override the fact that we will experience lifestyle choices. If you diet is unhealthy, and you practice qigong, you are sort of digging and filling the hole at the same time. Progress is more difficult.
love,
gallen

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved