Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jacob Offline OP
OP Offline

How should I form my purpose for syntopic reading when I have to write a research report on a broad subject (i.e. Civil War, Revolutionary War, etc.)? It says in the Photoreading book that a clear, specific purpose is crucial, but how am I supposed to form a specific purpose if my topic is very general?

You could set several purposes. What is it about the topic that you need to put into the paper? For example, if it is the Civil War, you might want as your first purpose to learn and write about the major players in the war, such as Lincoln, Grant, Robert E. Lee, etc...

Then, as another purpose, you could learn and write about what each person's part was in how the war unfolded.

Remember, as you begin to fulfill your purpose by answering the questions you come up with, other questions will come up for you, and the knowledge will gel for you in it's own perfect way.

Hope I make sense, if not, let me know, and I'll alter my communication. lol. sorry, I've been listening to mp3's on the presuppositions of NLP.

Jacob Offline OP
OP Offline

It kinda makes sense, but what do you mean by the information gels? I hope this isn't too basic of a question, but I'm still using the personal learning course (disc 6)

From my perspective, Gelling is when the information you've managed to activate fully matches the purpose you've set forth for PR'ing the book(s) at hand.

It's when you are "done" with the book.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved