Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

As title. How can u train yourself reading without sounding????
I read through a chapter in the PRWMS book, and Paul said an fast reader read book without sounding the word out. For a PR reader, is it relevant to give up sounding out word when reading and how do u give up this habit?????? I find it so difficult to do..... PLX help me

Hey Vincent,

I think I know what you're talking about. It's called "subvocalization," right?

I learned Evelyn Wood's Speed Reading 7 Day Course a few years ago, and I learned a few techniques as to how to not do this.

First off, a method which didn't help me, but helped a lot of other people is to use that little voice in the back of your head for something else. Try thinking "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" or "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" while reading, so that you use your subconscious instead of your conscious. I mean, it is your conscious that makes those sounds of subvocalization.

Also, try reading in groups of words, instead of one word at a time. Use peripheral vision to do this. Try taking in four through eight words at a time. Sooner or later you'll be taking in whole lines at a time. I don't think it's possible for your conscious mind to "subvocalize" about six words at the same exact time as you read. So doing this will help stop that, and you'll get through the text faster.

Also, try to stop regressing. This is when you go back to read something you already read, because you think you didn't "comprehend" it. Reading in groups of words will help stop that. This is mainly caused by saying the words in your head, because if you pronounce it wrong, you think "Oh, that word isn't four, it's pour."

Anyway, try doing this, and soon you'll stop subvocalizing.

Good luck, I hope I could help.

-JackTuff

OP Offline

Thanks for answering my Q. I will start trying it

Haha reading in group of words is really a way to solve the mental sounding. Thanks for your sharing!

Thanks for sharing this! I remember I read this technique from "Speed Reading Book" by Tony Buzan. An excellent technique, though requires some effort in begining... Taking up 4-6 to 8 words in a groups or per fixation... :-)

Now I am interested in PhotoReading! May be start this sometime in a month or two.. just doing some background study about it and mentally preparing myself for it in advance... :-) LoA Rocks!

Love n Light,
-Vks

I also read the Speed Reading book by Tony Buzan, and now I can successfully read in word groups and have speedened up my reading speed to about 500 words per minute or 30 seconds per normal sized book-page.
What I do is only reading in groups of words up to maybe 6. However, I can't take up entire lines or paragraphs at once. Does somebody know how to do this, and does it work the same as the PWMS, where you take up the lines in the ''other than conscious mind''?

hi Jacktuff13,
thanks a lot for sharing this..reading a group of words is absolutely the way to do it.

thanks again,
karthik

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved