Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Law of Attraction teaches that we attract what we think. In another word, if we think negatively, then negative things will happen. For example, if I keep on thinking that people will not like me at the new work place, then I might in fact end up with a job where I am disliked by my colleagues.

If I understand it correctly, the solution to that according to LoA is to think positively. If I fear dislike by my colleagues at the new job, then I should think that I will be liked by my new colleages.

This is where my own experience becomes inconsistent with the theory of law of attraction. On numerous occasions when my thoughts turn negative, I immediately reversed it and think its opposite. If my mind start sabataging my confidence in my ability to improve in class, for example, I force myself to imagine myself getting Acing the next test. Yet, I always end up with a disappointing result.

Why does that happen? My theory is this. My attempt to reverse my negative thoughts by thinking about its exact opposite is itself an act of confirmation of my negative thinking. If I didn't truely believe in this negative thought, I wouldn't have bothered to make an effort to reverse it by thinking positively. Therefore by forcing myself to think positively immediately after I think negative thoughts, I end up actually amplifying the power of these negative thoughts!!!

The point isn't that law of attraction doesn't work. I believe this law of attraction is very real, for otherwise I wouldn't have consistently obtained negative results when I think negative thoughts. The point is that perhaps we need to deal with negative thinking through a different approach other than just thinking of its polar opposite in order to maximize the positive potential that can be brought by the practice of law of attraction.

How should we do that? Well, there are two things that I have been trying lately, and seem to hold some promise. First, whenever I think of negative thoughts unwittingly, I dismiss them right away, by focusing on my concious attention on something that has nothing to do with the content of the thought. For example, if I am studying financial modeling, and feel that I will flunk the test on Monday, I dismiss this thought by taking a break from the studying, and go watch TV. Obviously, I am not gonna watch a television program on finance, economnics, or business which will serve to remind me of financial modeling. I might watch an action movie. Later on, when the emotional impact of the negative thought had faded, which creates an emotional vaccum unoccupied by negativity regarding the class I am taking, I go ahead and fill the void with positive thinking. In another word, instead of immediately countering a negative thought with its direct polar opposite, dismiss the thought, and come back to deal with it later when the negativity has receded.

A second method is to counter the negative thought immediately with a positive thought about something totally different. Lets say I lack confidence in mathematics, but I love literature, and am very confident that I am VERY good at literature. Then whenever my negativity regarding mathematics surfaces, I should counter by thinking about the joy of reading literatures. The key here is to think of something positive, yet totally irrelevant from the negative thought that I have. Also, I must truely beleive in that positive thought. If I am not confident that I am good in literature, then thinking about my being good at literature to counter my negative thoughts regarding mathematics is pointless. It might perhaps end up creating the exact same effect as immediately countering my negative thoughts regarding mathematics with its direct polar opposite, which is to amplify that negative thought.

Wheeww....a long post, but I hope this will be of some assistance to those who practice law of attraction. If any of you have other great ideas regarding the operational aspect of practicing law of attraction, please share with us here. I have found that understanding these spiritual principles are easy. But practicing them at the operational level is quite another totally different thing. This is often the result of lack of clear, concise, and concrete instructions regarding how exactly one should practice them. So any insights will be greatly appreciated.

I like you post and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I can understand your point of immediately reversing polarity which doesn't work, as there is no detachment from the negative thought. Maybe the break from the negative thought with something different is important.

I totally agree that there is a huge difference between understanding principles and then implementing them in real life to GET POSITIVE results!

Thank you :-).

I have the Sonic Access package and thought that Law of Attraction seemed to create some challenges for me. I worried if my deeper, unsupportive beliefs would be attracted to me, so I started to leave that paraliminal alone for a while, as I wasn't sure if the things that showed up I didn't like were my strengthening bad habits of thought. Tricky... But your idea of a positive, unrelated thought is something that makes a lot of sense and I've found that when I was able to do that without intending to, that I've definitely been better able to attract other positive things. Since I've been using Feng Shui, what seems to help are images of beautiful, peaceful things in my new home environment. Nice way to have it come together...

Hello "chuckiecow"

You are asking the same questions I was, when I had started on the journey of living life consciously and by the principles of LOU. I too had asked why negative prevails over positive. And it was here, at this forum, that someone gave me an answer that resonated with me STRONGLY. Get it? No? I will explain.

It is not just about thinking positive consistently. Nor is it about cancelling negative thoughts (although you can do that, and I have personally seen results by feeling STRONG relief immediately. Get it now? No? I will explain further.

Whatever FEELING you resonate STRONGLY gets your order to the universe filled faster! So you can think a million positive thoughts and one negative though that is so strong that—that ONE NEGATIVE THOUGHT gets delivered to you in record time!

I have found that this theory works for me. And I must once again thank the person who answered the very question for me only a couple of months back! Your answer totally answered it for me!

another thing I will add to the pot is what the masters say... You know the great spiritual teachers? They say........ THINKING IS STINKING~*........ Or something to that effect. I think the idea is to be in a state of BEING or in the moment and that is the thing to strive for. Of course when your feeling vibration is high that is key too...

Anyhow, just a couple of bobs worth......

Hey hey hey

I have a theory and a method i discovered and created to eliminate negative self-talk by addressing it instead of resisting it by dismissing it or countering with a positive thought. For a more indepth look at it, you can go to my blog at uzumakinaruto.wordpress.com.

Anyway, my theory is that every thought from your other-than-conscious has a positive purpose, it could be to protect you from embarassment or failing, etcetra. So, what i suggest you try is to talk to your other-than-conscious. Recognize that its sending out a thought for your own good, and then explain why it doesn't serve you anymore, and tell it to please stop. Talk to your other-than-conscious as if its a friend, it is listening and all you need to do is to talk to it.

For example, i recently had images of a knife slashing through my organs popping in my head which was pretty disturbing to say the least, but i talked to my other-than-conscious by saying "hey i'm not sure why you are sending this image through, maybe its to protect me or something else for my own good but it doesn't serve me because all it's going to do is to attract this event to me. So, i hope you can stop feeding me these images". And instantly, the images stop. A knife may appear but the image automatically stops before it goes to the slashing motion without any conscious interference.

I've only discovered this method recently but its been a great success to me (:

Quote:

another thing I will add to the pot is what the masters say... You know the great spiritual teachers? They say........ THINKING IS STINKING~*........ Or something to that effect. I think the idea is to be in a state of BEING or in the moment and that is the thing to strive for. Of course when your feeling vibration is high that is key too...

Anyhow, just a couple of bobs worth......

In addition to my post here, which is incomplete.... If you know the definition of being centered it is...

Mentally present
Emotionally calm
Physically relaxed... and
Spiritually aware...

Guess I didn't mean to sound like thinking is taboo. As we all know it requires thinking and attention to keep our life in order.... But balance is the key...

Seeing as you are really talking about negative verses positive thinking, that is why these paraliminals are so cool and is why I am using them. To program myself with the positive verses the negative... Our minds do rattle away (even though we might desire to be in that clear state of beingness), so we need all the help we can get, eh????

Cheerio~*

Great thread
I think what works to get rid of negative thoughts varies from person to person.
Like chuckiecow I find turning the thought to the opposite doesn't work from me, I know I am lying to myself, the big knot in my chest tells me so.

I know what the LOA should feel like!
18 years ago I was visiting a friend of my bosses and when I arrived at her house I got out of the car and knew with absolute certainty that I would live there, this wasn't wishful thinking or wanting but knowing with every cell of my being.
It was a beautiful moment the has led to so many wonderful things, and yes I moved in 6 months later

When I have a negative thought I use gratitude to change the way I feel.
If I was having difficulties in a class I would send lots of gratitude and love to the teacher who is there to help me learn.

If some one looks like letting me down I send them thanks for everything that they have done for me and for doing their best.

If the car is playing up I thank it for all the times it got me to my destination

Sending out love and gratitude is the way that works for me

OP Offline

Thanks to everyone who responded. I especially like those parts where you guys shared your operational theories regarding LoA.

I think OZtinks makes a very important point. The LoA works for everyone, but the operational aspect of it varies from one person to another. My theory of waiting for my negative emotions to recede, and then come back to fill that vaccum with positive emotions works for me, but it might not work for other people.

This leads to an important implication. I believe that part of the benefit of LoA paraliminal is to set us on a journey (at least at the subconcious level) of figuring out how to operate the principles of LoA in a way that works for us. However, the process of discovery itself can take times, which potentially means that the effect of such CDs might not be felt for a while. The point is that we must conciously recognize the existence of a "learning curve" that is involved in devicing a personalized and viable process in apply the principles of LoA should itself. Keep that in mind for those who thinks that the paraliminal isn't working.

Two things that can dramatically flatten the learning curve is to 1)make a concious effort to observe your own experiences in using LoA, and through trial and error, eventually create an operational theory that works for you. Of course, you should continue to listen to the paraliminal CD in the meanwhile to achieve synergy effect.

Second, we should continue to post on this forum, especially regarding our own personalized operational theory of LoA. Although everybody is different, we are also similar enough such that what works for us individually may work for others with a little bit of adjustment. Consider this forum a great place for brainstorming so that we can toss ideas around, test it, give feedbacks to each other, and keep on trying different things to grow together.

well now, I am on to something really informative if anyone is interested in reading it. It's called the Dangers of the Secret and it can be sent to your email from this url... www.acorncoachinggroup.com you can see on the first page where to click to get the article... OR pm me and I'll send it to you!

It will get your head straight around all this LOA kind of stuff...

cheers~*

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved