Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63431 12/12/07 06:44 PM
Waler Offline OP
OP Offline

An idea just flashed my head a few hours ago, when reading about direct learning and running into an E-Book on how to draw. If people can golf better, drive better and work-out better with direct learning, why not drawing? It's a skill like all other skills, right?
So, I'm now downloading a bunch of E-Books on drawing, and will give it a shot.

Wish me luck!

Tom.

P.S.
Encouragement we be highly appreciated.

"All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Hello Tom,

Of course you're totally right Tom, you can use direct learning for drawing, as well as many other skills.For years I was frustrated with drawing, because I knew I could do it but it was like I had thought myself into a stance that I couldn't do it.As with the quote above, we're all artists, but many forget they are.When I was very young I won an school art competition out of the whole school.When I was about 13 my art teacher took a self portrait I had done and showed it to my whole class as an example of how a creative mind draws.I found it somewhat embarrassing, as I thought he was joking.The art teacher asked me later "I didn't know you could draw so well.How come you've never done this before" and my bemused reply was "well because I'm rubbish at drawing aren't I?".That is the kind of doubting thought I had you see, that held me back.It was only when I let go and just did it, that I found I could do it, and do it extremely well.Those two examples were glimpses that I could do it, even though the rest of the time I only drew if I was made to in a class or something.I dropped art in school and my last grade was an E or something.

Anyway like I said these many doubts, belief systems I had picked up, meant that I never really did any drawing.But the nagging feeling in me that wanted to express myself was always there in the back of my mind and eventually it became too much, so I decided I would go for it and make direct learning the approach to remember again that I, like everyone else, is an artist.After direct learning some art books, photoreading images I liked, and really having the attitude that "I will do this, I can do this, this is me!" well things took off.I sat with a pencil and paper one day and just stared at it for a while.Then I decided to draw some items in the room.Everything felt completely natural and ease and flowing as I put pencil to paper and began to draw.I just knew what to do, I felt so confident in my own abilities.Now and again I would catch myself thinking "I can't be doing this, this isn't possible, I can't draw" but that was silenced as I kept going and kept focus.
Now I feel I can draw anything.Nothing intimidates me at all.In fact I revel in drawing the "impossible", it makes it more of a thrill.People comment on my drawings and say "wow, that is amazing.I wish I could draw like that".Though it's nice to be complemented, I am very humble because I know that everyone can draw, so I'm no different than anyone else, only in that I am one of those who has remembered I am an artist.Now I can express myself so much more and that nagging feeling (which I guess you have, which is why you want to be better at drawing) goes and in place of it is a very good feeling knowing that you have let loose even more of the potential within you.

How's that for encouragement.All the best Tom.

Waler Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much!
That IS encouraging!

We do have a slight difference. I never was an artist. I was never able to draw more then a stick-man.

And now I hope I'm going to change it.

By the way, I'd love to see some of your drawings. Maybe I could PhotoRead them too, if that's ok with you.

Tom.

"If people can golf better, drive better and work-out better with direct learning, why not drawing? It's a skill like all other skills, right?
So, I'm now downloading a bunch of E-Books on drawing, and will give it a shot."

That's not new.Paul scheel in a audo tape explains us that what have done exactly his wife: photoreading a dozen of books and became an artist.

Waler said: "We do have a slight difference. I never was an artist."

I mentioned two occasions in my entire life (until I was in my mid twenties) that I saw "glimpses" that I could do much better than I currently did.I wasn't drawing replicas of the Mona Lisa in those instances or anything.
I meant I was drawing better than stick men, which was about my limit in all other attempts (just like you).

Just had to make that absolutely clear in case you somehow formed the impression that my artwork used to hang in the louvre until I banged my head, lost my memory, and then only remembered how to draw again when I direct learned a few books.That is not the case! CLEAR!

But yeah if you're determined to prove to yourself that you can't do this, then feel free to hijack and misconstrue my words and use me as an excuse by saying that direct learning obviously only works for people who already have the skill.I do mind you doing this, but then I can't really stop you writing what you like.And after all, it's your life, so please yourself!

Waler Offline OP
OP Offline

[In total shock]

WHAT??

Saying that Direct Learning only works for people who already knows that skill? I havn't said that! And I don't think that either.

If I thought D.L. won't work, I would probably not take the time to post on it. Maybe try it on my own, but not share my thoughts and ideas.

I'm sorry if my message was not understood properly.

frenchie, Really? I didn't know that. Nice to know, now I'm even more convinced it will work!

Hi Tom,

Include a book by Betty Edwards in your DL. She has studied the skills a person needs to be able to draw what they see. It's all based on drawing on the paper what you see. Her exercises are interesting and useful.

I started drawing at an adulta age 2 yrs ago, and read loads of books of drawing. Edwards' books are the best as far as I know.

And I enjoy drawing! It's like I'm 5 again and can use all the lovely colors and admire my work afterwards! It all started after I did the LS course Boundless renewal.

Happy drawings! ;-)))

[He].2s2.2p4

Waler Offline OP
OP Offline

Oxygen, thank you very much!

As to my progress, well... We just got back from school last week after the teachers were on on strike for 2 months (yeah...), so there's a lot of chaos right now. Plus I have a university course tomorrow. Not much time on my hands. ;-)

HOWEVER! I used the free time I DID managed to get, in getting many books and guides (a bit over 20, but most are short guides), most of them on manga and comics, what I am mainly interested in drawing.
I've also got "Fun With Pencil", and from my short preview it seems like a great book!
Now I'll try and find something by Betty Edwards that will fit my needs, and hopefully on Friday I'll have the time to finally do some DL!

Anyone has some more recommendations?

Thanks, all of you!
Tom.

Waler Offline OP
OP Offline

I did it!

Finally, yesterday, I popped in the CD and did the DL process.
As of this moment, not sign for benefit - however I'll take my time with it and see.

Wishing for the best,
Tom.

Yes! Great! Keep us posted!

How much have you drawn so far? what are the results? I would imagine it would take some time and practice before mastering the skill of drawing, It does not come right away "out of the blue".. ;-) But of course, after DL it will take less time and practice than without it.

Actually I'm interested what is your goal in drawing. Humans, landscapes, abstracts,...? And what for? Just for the fun of drawing? Or are you practicing for a future job?

[He].2s2.2p4

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved