Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63927 01/11/08 01:48 AM
OP Offline

I received an email from Master Lin today endorsing the purchase of a new book from Marci Shimoff called Happy For No Reason. It really struck me that there's a conflict of principles when I see an endorsement for an author of a Qigong series that instructs you to not seek material things for yourself who endorses the writings of someone who is a featured teacher of "The Secret" which encourages people to seek things for themselves, including material wealth.

I'll admit, I am new to the study of Qigong, but that sure struck me as something that doesn't seem in harmony with the message of the master. Someone please feel free to correct me, I'm listening and willing to learn.

Peace,
Jay

After the poverty and suffering that Master Lin lived through while living in China I hope he makes a lot of money. If he EARNS enough to spend more time devoted to teaching and spreading the power of Qigong then that is fine by me.

I haven't heard anywhere where SFQ teaches not to make a good living.

Without desire there is tranquility. And in this way all things would be at peace. -Lao Tzu

Hi Jay,

Ask yourself this: If it were not for SFQ being promoted the way it is, how many of us would have ever heard of it? In a recent New York Times article Master Lin recounted how only 5 people showed up for his first class. At that rate it would have taken decades to have accomplished what Master Lin and Learning Strategies have done in only a few years. The kind of spirituality you are looking for is a goal that we haven't achieved yet. We all still have to get on with our day to day lives, including Master Lin. Money, for the time being at least, is an essential part of living.

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha,

Check out Marci's book. "Happy for No Reason" is the same concept Chunyi talks about when discussing the difference between Happy and Joy.

Everyone is on their journey. It part of what makes Chunyi, Chunyi when he sees and acknowledges the best in the people he meets and sees. It's also a key part in healing other's heal.

Much Love, Shawn

OP Offline

I feel like my question is taken out of context by some. Perhaps my initial title should have been "question of message" rather then "question of ethics". I definitely do not begrudge Chunyi the right to make a living. I guess I felt that there was a conflict of message in the endorsement of the other author's works, which I have a problem with. Since I've never heard Chunyi endorse "The Secret" directly, perhaps it is I who is out of line.

peace,
Jay

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha trailofthebear,

You were clear..it was just taken to other places.

Chunyi talks about the Law of Attraction in his work and presentations. He may mention the secret because people are familiar with it, and then goes on to give his Spring Forest perspective on the LOA in regards to personal growth and healing.

I can appreciate getting a little ruffled over what the movie seems to be putting out there in places - I'd think even Jack Canfield would have liked them to talk about how he worked his bottom off when the opportunities showed up, rather than "I looked at a S100,000 dollar bill every night and I got it!" Many of the references in the movie revolved around physical things they desired. Those are vivid examples, but other than the kid & the bike story, what jumped out at me was the pilot's determination to breath and walk on him own, the Mother Theresa reference to agreeing to come to a peace demonstration rather than an anti war protest,and the "Follow your bliss" Campbell quote. Of course, the goofy image of Bob Proctor (I think) kissing himself still has me smiling and shaking my head

There is some good stuff there, I take on what makes sense and aligns with my goals and purpose, then leave the rest.

Much Love, Shawn

OP Offline

Quote:

Aloha trailofthebear,

.........There is some good stuff there, I take on what makes sense and aligns with my goals and purpose, then leave the rest.

Much Love, Shawn

Thank you Shawn, I think your words put the feelings I had about the original message in a positive context. I'm certainly a newbie to this practice and a long time cynic at that. It's good to be reminded I don't have to accept all of something for it to enhance my life and the world.

peace,
Jay

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved