Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#64129 01/22/08 09:46 PM
Learning Strategies
OP Offline
Learning Strategies

Welcome to the Happy for No Reason forum based on Marci Shimoff’s fabulous book.

Shawn_Grim #64130 02/06/08 01:44 AM

Thanks...

miriamlee #64131 02/07/08 03:10 PM
cml Offline

Thanks! I'm reading Marci Shimoff's book, Happy for No Reason now. I just ordered the Hapyy for No Reason Paraliminal CD. There is so much good stuff in this book. I'm so excited to be learning how to be happier for no reason. I can't think of a better way to spend my time!

cml #64132 02/27/08 12:22 AM

Thanks. I'm in the middle of the book too. I've never read a book that makes me feel so good! The results are immediate for me, and easy to achieve. Everyone should read this book. My copy will get passed around a lot, I know it!

bexrox #64133 02/27/08 02:41 PM

Bexrox: I =know= what you mean bout the book making you feel good! I have a good example of that: Last week I had to go to Tinker AFB to renew my ID card. There was much about the trip that in the past would have left me disgruntled, and maybe just a tad outraged at times. Few things went well. It's a long drive, made longer by lots of construction work and an accident that had traffic moving at a crawl. By the time we got to the AFB, they'd just (minutes before we arrived) shut down the office we needed for a 2 hour lunch (usually half an hour, so that was a blow). So we did other things on the base for 2 hours (grocery shopping, etc.), came back, and personnel had still not returned from their long lunch. The line grew, children grew cranky, other people waiting were irritated over the wait, and so on.

And I, with my little happy book, just enjoyed my reading, and was oblivious to all of that. Dear Hubby finally nudged me and said, "Hey, are you ok? Usually, you'd be griping and demanding we leave and come back another day!" I just grinned. On the way home, he told me to hurry up and finish the book--he wants to get in on this, too!

Just reading the book makes me want to grin. Doing some of the exercises she lists makes me feel even happier.

Alas, I'm nearly done with the book. At this point, I hate to finish it because I really enjoy reading this particular writer. Sometimes I do that with writers I like: towards the end, I drag my feet about reading the last few pages. It's like saying goodbye to a good friend.

I hope we can expect more from Marci.

Jeanne #64134 03/02/08 03:40 PM

This is one of the most profoundly effective 'action plans' to happiness that I have read. I'm reluctant and my usual negative self still -- but working on it and see there is truly a WAY to work on it. As I was listening to the action plan I realized that I was one of those kids raised in an environment where it was a negative thing to be happy -- "what are you smiling about?" was a common thing to hear. Like it was a 'bad' thing to be happy.

So I have a lot of work to do. I'm willing to do it though because of the great effect it has on me and my disposition. I fall back into the old behavior but it pops into my mind that I HAVE A CHOICE. I've never been effected by anything so much. And, I've read everything that has come out and gone through therapy for decades! This feels like it might have some good return on the investment.

Thanks and I look forward to talking and interacting with lots of you.

m

Jeanne #64135 03/21/08 12:49 AM

The great thing about books is that you get to turn them over and start all over again. I just started my second reading of this amazing book. This time I will be taking notes and working on all the exercises. At 51, I had come to the conclusion that happiness had to come from within. I just hadn't yet figured out how. Thanks to Marci, I don't have to spend the next 51 years trying. The chapter on the Pillar of the Heart had an especially profound effect on my life. It is amazing what comes back to you when you wish others well! It may even have saved a 30 year marriage.

msbeth20 #64136 03/21/08 12:50 PM

GMTA--this is exactly what I'm doing, too! I'm also thinking of retyping all of the exercises to keep in a notebook, easy to access that way.

Like you, I'd been looking into this somewhat too. There were books that sort of addressed what Marci does, but they were all bits and pieces. Marci puts it all together in one place, the "flow" techniques, the endorphins, the meditation, all of it. This book is an absolute treasure!

Jeanne #64137 04/04/08 02:10 AM

I was given this book by my mother this past easter and it's really like a shining star for me. After over 4 years of deep clinical depression leading to a drug and alcohol addiction with the final bottom being my fathers death this past autumn and contemplating my own suicide I am really learning alot from this book. I'm about to read it for a second time while taking notes like some others have posted. My eyes are opening to the possibilities of being happy once again. Right now I am clean from alcohol and drugs, and having a good social worker helping me out I think that practicing the teachings of this book will really help me excel in life. Thank you Marci, you're opening up an entire new world to me that I had forgotten.

From the heart,
Brent

Brentos #64138 04/04/08 03:28 PM

Welcome Brent!
You've taken some huge steps.
And because I can hear my son's voice saying "Thanks for the lecture, Mom.", I'll keep it short and just say: I was in your shoes 30 years ago. You can do this. Fasten your seatbelt. It's going to be quite a ride. Some days I feel like Indiana Jones stepping out onto that invisible path on faith. This ideas presented in this book can transform your life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved