Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oxygen Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all,

A question about black sesame seeds.

I found sesame seeds that are black in a local asian food store. Without thinking I just bought it. Well, the question is, are alla sesame seeds that are black the same kind of black sesame seeds that are referred in the SFQ course? I mean are there any "fakes" around? These seeds were quite cheap, and I kind of started wondering. If there are "fakes" how can I recognize which are the real ones?

It says in the bag "Dried sesame seeds" and the mark is "Golden Lily". Tha country of origin is China. When I soak them the brotht is blueish green.

[He].2s2.2p4

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Oxygen,

I don't know the answer to that one. When Chunyi started to first teach about them, he had people pull out the floating ones, as the quality of seeds coming into the states were low.

Now he doesn't have people remove the floaters because the quality is generally really good.

Caveat: you get what you pay for. I'd purchase them at a place I'd trust the quality of the produce/product, but that's me.

Much Love, Shawn

Oxygen Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Shawn,

Well, to be more precise, I was thinking of two possibilities: 1) The seeds might be white seeds dyed with iron gluconate or similar. The colour of the broth might reveal it. Does blueish green match with your experience? 2) The seeds might be radiated. In that case tehy would be dead. I guess I could test that by leaving them on moist paper for a couple of days. If they are alive they start sprouting leaves;-)

I gather from your answer that there were other possibilieties also, maybe due to poor conditions during storage etc.

In my country there aren't that many shops that I could find black sesame seeds from. In fact I know only this one. ;-) I hope one is enough.

[He].2s2.2p4

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Blueish green is sort of the color the broth takes when I do this. I know Pete Bissonette orders his via the internet in bulk.

Much Love,

Shawn

Oxygen Offline OP
OP Offline

OK. That settles it.

Thanks Shawn!

[He].2s2.2p4

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved