Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64435 02/17/08 11:57 PM
CPW1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Is there a benefit in reading out loud instead of silently . I ask this because you have to image stream outloud.

CPW1 #64436 02/23/08 09:09 PM

Hey CPW1,

I think in terms of speed mixed with comprehension, you're much worse off reading out loud. The subvocal barrier being somewhere between 600-800, though most people can't subvocalize past 200-300 wpm. As you have heard, Photoreading builds speeds up to 25,000 wpm and increases comprehension.

When you image stream, whether you do it outloud or not, you're going to be speaking (or subvocalizing) at the same speed, so you have no choice. The reason you do it outloud is to describe it to some outward force in order to not worry about remembering what you're saying, so that you can "decode" it, and as a result of that, your image stream will keep...hmmmmm.... "streaming."

-JackTuff13

As children we are taught to read, first by vocalizing letters of the alphabet then vocalizing words. This was necessary then. And now vocalizing works against you. This is because even as you vocalize the words silently you are using your vocal cords. Your vocal cords move at a snails pace. Your eyes and mind are so much faster. There are techniques that teach you to read without sub-vocalizing.
One reason that you talk out loud when image streaming is to outpace your conscious editor.

CPW1,

If you haven't already I sugget you buy Dr. Wingers Einstein Factor and join Project Renaisance. He explains in more detail why the external vocalization. It does bypass the conscious editor but scientifically what it does is force your subconscious and conscious mind to build neuroconnections so that your conscious has an easier time recieving the communications from the subconscious mind.

What I have found to be very useful is to photoread a book and a few days later ask my subconscious to show me the meaning of the book and speak the visuals out loud to my DVR. Then I go and activate the book to see how close the stream came.

Try that to really get into the Genius MInd set.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

There was a benefit in reading out loud. As you learned to read you built the vocabulary and your minds ability to process the written language. Once you do that you graduate to the faster process of silent reading and minimal subvocalisation.

When it comes to visual images your mind has always been processing and making snap decisions about them. Talking out loud slows that down so that you can actually 'see it'

It's interesting. We want our minds speed and ability to process visual information for meaning to transfer reading, for faster non-conscious processing and understanding. And would like to transfer our reading comprehension (conscious understanding) to our visual ability. Talking seems to be a largely conscious process and so slows everything down.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved