Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

i read of an experiment where a man with no prior knowledge of the spanish language (other than "hola," i'm sure) was kept awake for 68 hours straight, over which time he was taught spanish by several teachers/professors. once an hour he was able to take a bathroom and eating break, but NEVER allowed to sleep. from what i read, at the end of this nearly 3 day long brainwashing, the man walked out with full fluency in the spanish language and no negative side effects after a really long nap. his fluency was supposedly permanently retained (as much as any language is, if it is used). my question is, would i be able to use, say, an EasyLearn language course, among other tools, to brainwash myself? is it really possible? would EasyLearn be an effective program to use (since it is whole mind and sounds to be effective in and of itself)? is easylearn a program that MUST be spread out over several weeks? is it advisable to even try this experiment on myself (note--it is possible to take the time out of my life to do this)? any and all responses are appreciated (even if they arent what i want to hear, haha).

Administrator
Administrator

I am sure if you spent 68 hours learning the language in a month you would also have an excellent level of fluency. That's about 2 hours a day. Most schools teach about 2 hours per week part time meaning it would take you about 7 to 8 months to reach that level of fluency. Also since you spread it out that long it isn't as important to you to learn it so your mind tends to put it on the backburner.

If you want to you can. Remember during some parts you'll have to be an active learner, saying the words out loud, feeling the words, just listening alone won't do it.

Alex

I'd guess you could do that ... BUT:

to do this by yourself you'd have to have true willpower.

Not only would a whole sh**load of resistance appear, but also due to sleep deprivation, your ability to deal with that resistance will more or less vanish completely.

If you can keep yourself awake that long, you'll most likely go through emotional and physical hell during that time (anger [rage], depression, anxiety, hallucinations, ear-splitting headaches, sickness, etc.)

If you can deal with that, go right ahead!

That's just my €0.02

Stefan

[This message has been edited by Xehupatl (edited May 18, 2003).]

After the 68 hours without sleep, was he still able to speak his native language? ;-)

The sleep deprivation....seems like a means to an end. I suspect that it puts you in states that might happen to facilitate language learning - eg, you might hallucinate contexts a little more vividly, with more feeling, etc. When the contexts arise again, and it's time to use the language, it flows out of you.

In short, the sleep deprivation was little more than an extended trance.

Having real, live people to interact with in the language might be the more irreplaceable part of the 68 hours.

--Brian

This sounds like a rather drastic technique, but it reminds me of a learning process called the "Immersion Protocol" that I recently bought from this site:
www.worldlanguagelearning.com

This may well be worth a try! I have a lot of work going on at the moment, but I am going to try the system with a new language when my desk is clear. I'll keep you posted!

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved