Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64959 04/03/08 02:53 PM
OP Offline

Okay give me a few lines to set this up.

This is a compilation thought of PhotoReading, Genius Code, and Einstein Factor.

I use to teach electronics in the Navy. I now develop technical training and I am working on some training of my own thinking using snippets from multiple sources. While reading the Einstein Factor (authored by Win Winger who collaborated with Paul Shelee on the Genius Code course)I had a thought. He discussed in one chapter about why photoreading works so well with image streaming. He was talking about how your mind reads things all the time that we don't focus on.

My question is, Has anyone ever flashed a text book at photoreading speeds on a overhead projector screen while an instructor carried on her/his lecture without regard to the book being flashed? If so, did it improve test scores and understanding?

My theory is that the students would focus on the instructor while she/he talked and moved about but would see the flashing and unsuspectingly photoread the textbook. The activation would naturally come from the instructor explaining the topics.

I emailed Dr. Winger on this and he replied that the theory sounded valid but he was not aware of this ever being done before. He knew of the students being flashed pages on a computer but never with an instructor. He said I should ask here.

So I'm asking.

Mark 'The Sharp Guy' vK

Learning Strategies Admin

Never done it with a text book however I have done a similar experiment. By accident actually. I was dubbing a video lecture and had the monitor going while watching the news on TV. I later watched that video and was amazed at how ahead of what he was talking about and I did understand the information at a deeper level. The interesting thing was the sound was off. I am strong lip reader so that particular experience may not work for most people.

It's definitely worth thinking about.

Alex

OP Offline

Thank you Alex,

Do you know if the company is still planning to sell more workshops? I know they put out the Happy workshop to coinside with Marci Schimoff's book release but I haven't heard anything since.

I know you have to have official training to teach photoreading. One of the purposed categories was improved reading workshop. I assume it is the same strategies featured in the Genius Mind DVD. I was thinking if you flashed the photoreading book while teaching the Superreading, Dipping and other techniques that some people might improve even more without actually teaching PhotoReading.

Mark

To my knowledge Learning Strategies is looking at more workshops. This first one is an opportunity to test things out.

As for the next possibilities well that depends on the interest in general based on the survey.

We PhotoRead the PhotoReading book on the Friday night. It's aimed to set up the ease of learning, the classroom being the activation for PhotoReading itself.

In teaching PhotoReading I notice the biggest problem I face as an instructor is the hang ups. The disbelief that this can work. When they drop those they start making progress.

The next problem is some get hung up on the mechanics. The don't have a problem believing PhotoReading is possible but they don't think they can do it unless they get the mechanics absolutely right. The book only covers the mechanics. There is a lot of attitude involved with reading. (I can, I cannot, being only a rudimentary signal that there is an attitude that and it's a complex beast.)

Unfortunately and fortunately beliefs cannot be changed with a single PhotoReading nor repeated exposure over a short period of time. Spaced repetition is required and you would run into legal problems because some might be wondering whether this is subliminal messaging.

Testing the idea on learning PhotoReading itself is a problem because like I said we do the first PhotoReading on the book itself so it would be impossible to say whether projections make it the projections or the first actual exposure to PhotoReading on the PhotoReading book.

Your suggestion does raise an interesting idea

There are classes that don't do the PhotoReading book the first night because the book hasn't been translated into that language. I do notice that participant of those classes seem (and I must emphasise SEEM) to have more difficulty grasping it. It's something that would need further investigation and it isn't worth my time to investigate it.

I'm not suggesting your idea is bad. I'm musing in writing the factors that must be considered if such an experiment could be carried out.

As I mentioned there is the problem of it being subliminal seen as messaging. In fact it has been used in advertising campaigns. There is still a dispute whether this works or not. Like I said to change one's belief with a single exposure is impossible and it takes spaced repetition to change a buyers habits. Advertisers do continue to use it and some countries have made it illegal. It has the same problem, The question becomes was it the advertising itself or was it the message in the advertising. Even split runs cannot prove anything because there are so many factors outside the control.

Based on my personal experience I believe it would work for me as an experienced PhotoReader.

Just the PhotoReading book in PhotoReading class wouldn't provide any measurable proof. Like I said the biggest job the PhotoReading instructor has is helping the student to let go of their blocks. They steps of the system are straight forward. In fact some do argue that they are basic reading principles (which very few people are taught because very few people learn them.

It's an interesting idea that I think would work. The how to put it out there needs more musing.

Alex

OP Offline

Great response once again,

So do I need to contact someone else at Learning Strategies with the idea?

I see your point on people worrying about this being subliminal. I think a disclosure up front would probably take care of that concern.

Mark

I can't see anyone taking it up. Paul already has a full agenda and he's the one who pointed out the problem when I discussed a similar idea with him.

'We can't use our classes for testing. People pay to learn PhotoReading and it's not fair to use them as guinea pigs and taking up their valuable time. And you cannot ask for volunteers because of bias. People who volunteer 'want to' and attitude is something that affects the success,with a positive bias. That would throw the research out straight away.'

Without comprehension type test shortly after the screening to find out what people already know about PhotoReading we would have no way of knowing whether there is anything in it.

Like I said the PhotoReading classes would be a poor test class. To date everyone who has taken my class has proven PhotoReading works for them. I know a few don't use it and come to me later with hey Alex I haven't used it help me get back into it. They wouldn't ask me that if it didn't work. So it would be impossible for me to see if it makes any difference and as to it being easier to learn... that's a subjective experience that's difficult to measure.

The problem is testing it. If we can work out a way to measure the result then we've got something. I think if you put the idea to any PhotoReading instructor they would agree that it should work. Proving it is another matter.

If you check this forum you'll see that there are numerous post debating that PhotoReading doesn't work. I saw a brilliant argument on a social networking site. It went, 'I'm a teacher and I can tell you PhotoReading doesn't work.'

Someone asked if they tried it.

The teacher, 'Of course not, it's a waste of time.'

We could do it and because we PhotoRead the PhotoReading book first up anyway it probably doesn't make much difference.

The countries without a translated PhotoReading book would still have the same problem They don't have the book to throw up as a projection.

Unless we can measure the results we've got nothing. Saying it makes it easier to learn or takes less time is subjective. We need objective measures. So for a start I think it needs to be tested on something other than a PhotoReading class.

Still I like the idea and think it would be brilliant if classes in the future had this sort of pre-exposure to the material. Those who do PhotoRead already have that advantage. They can and do apply it to their textbooks and based on anecdotal feedback it makes a difference, yet we cannot test to measure it. Whether it's previewed in projected format using our peripheral awareness or PhotoReading by it's the same thing really. So we're already doing it in our classes just not projected.

AlexK

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved