Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#65445 05/08/08 01:26 AM
OP Offline

Hey,
Alex, you stated once before that no one can really READ past 300 wpm. Yet Pete stated that the reason that students stick with speed reading sometimes is because they've been able to bridge the gap between the left and right hemispheres of the brain.
In the photoreading description, it states that the photoread information is "blasted into the right creative brain."

Now if speed readers bridged the gap between the left and right brain, they would be able to blast the information into the right brain and understand it by analyzing it after.
They would do this at speeds well over a thousand words per minute.

Why does this contradict what you said?

-JackTuff13

Now here not saying I could or would 'untangle' all that can be said about reading, however as I understand it, I could pontificate. <smiles>

Reading could be well defined as any activity which is tethered to 'sub-vocalization'. It would not matter what 'speeded up reading technique' one sought to employ, IF while so employing you were still 'sub-vocalizing' at the average sub-vocalization speed of 300wpm.

You can for instance, read phrases skip filler words and methodically hammer out a page at would count as 1000wpm but IF you are still sub-vocalizing this is still not true speed reading; it is just going over pages of words faster but not really reading any faster. Simply more picking and choosing.

The reading barrier no matter the method is sub-vocalization. Speed reading as such fails for most because of this. And to pursue reading by a disciplined method is harder and most drop out it and slip right back into sub-vocalization speed.

Photoreading changes all that, you can more easily assure NOT sub-vocalizing. And so you will move as fast as the pages turn.

The right-brain, left-brain stuff is of another venue. The brain is holographic and does not store information locally. I would gander to think, the right brain left brain balance and bridging would benefit the 'output' side of equation far more or be of much more telling importance thereto.

Use both hands to do all tasks and that should bridge and expand powers of whole expression.

Learning Strategies Admin

In what way does it contradict what I say? Firstly I must point out that the correct figure if you want to quote me is 800 eight hundred words a minute.

No one can [n]read[/b] faster than 800 wpm. If you use the measure of 7 plus or minus two bits of information a second the slowest reading speed should be about 300 WPM and fastest 540 WPM since the average reading speed is slower than 300 wpm the average reader is boring themselves to sleep.

Quote:
reason that students stick with speed reading sometimes is because they've been able to bridge the gap between the left and right hemispheres of the brain.

SOMETIMES not always only sometimes.

It is through attempting speed reading that the few discover PhotoReading naturally. It isn't reading. It's using both hemispheres with little conscious comprehension. The people who 'get it' through learning speed reading are able to accept the lack of conscious comprehension and recognise the whole brain comprehension. Then activate like we do picking the passages that provide the desired conscious comprehension.

While they are covering the text at speeds greater than 800 words a minute they are no longer reading. It's not reading when you go faster than 800 wpm.

Not sure how you see it contradicting. Because the speed readers that get it are doing the same thing PhotoReaders do. In both cases it's not reading.

Alex

OP Offline

Ohh ok, I see. So you DON'T consider speed reading to be just faster reading?

OP Offline

Hey again Alex,

Sorry, I just reread one of the posts you made way back, and I realize you DID say 800 after saying something about 300 wpm. Sorry about that.

But I have another question about novels and fiction using photoreading.

When you first started out, did you find it easy to use with novels? Or did you first use a lot of non fiction to hone the skills and techniques, then try it out on novels after you have enough confidence with the skills?

-JackTuff13

Quote:
Ohh ok, I see. So you DON'T consider speed reading to be just faster reading?

no never have if you've read my post you know that I agree with the findings that anything above 800 wpm is not reading.

If you want to do rapid reading well you need to hone your superreading and dipping and skittering skills. If you don't hone them then you don't really have the rapid reading skill set. You only PhotoRead or traditionally read if you haven't developed superreading and dipping or skittering.

If you want to develop your rapid reading skills use superreading and dipping on non fiction books. If you want to make slow or no change in your reading speed on fiction books just forget about superreading and dipping or skittering. It's difficult to apply what you haven't had reason to develop.

AlexK

Alex

Are you saying that "pleasure reading" is not ideal for photoreading?

I though you caould do this method on every reading material.

Are you saying that Paul Scheele is telling lies on the type of printed material you can read using his program?

Is this program just a gimick?

You better explain well because your explaination you give will determine whether I send this package back quoting what you said.

OP Offline

Fmanie,
Alex never said that pleasure reading wasn't ideal for photoreading. She said that by honing your skittering, super reading and dipping skills, you can use them while rapid reading fiction.
Why are you attacking Learning Strategies?

-JackTuff13

Originally Posted By: Fmanie
Alex

Are you saying that "pleasure reading" is not ideal for photoreading?

Nope that's not what I'm saying because I use PhotoReading on novels and enjoy reading them faster.

Quote:
I though you caould do this method on every reading material.

Yes it works on all material.

Quote:
Are you saying that Paul Scheele is telling lies on the type of printed material you can read using his program?

Is this program just a gimick?

Shame on you. No where have I said that or implied that. I am a PhotoReading instructor.

Quote:
You better explain well because your explaination you give will determine whether I send this package back quoting what you said.

What I have been saying if you want to learn the system quickly and develop the skills of active reading; non fiction books are better to learn on because they are easiest to get active with. Novels are passive reading and provide little in the way of cues for superreading and dipping like non-fiction books which mostly have chapters and subheading for the chapters. These chapters and subheadings help you to develop your superreading and skittering skills which enhance your ability to novels much more when you know how to superread and skitter.

Novels for their lack of subheadings keep you in the passive reading approach. So If you want to learn the system quickly apply it to a few non-fiction books and your enjoyment of novels will increase as will the speed at which you finish a novel.

AlexK

Jack and Alex

I am not here to "attack" people, I don't enter forums to do that as I have better things to do.

I am frustrated because I read novels, then I see that the main focus is non-fiction books.

So how does a novel reader use this package to get the same benefits as a non-fiction reader?

Can someone please let me know?

PS: I can't attack learning strategies because I have no reason to do so and I never will do so because they helped millions.

So relax please, and advise me how to get past the challenge of novel reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved