Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6086 05/30/03 12:57 AM
Fiona Offline OP
OP Offline

I just started using self-hypnosis and paraliminal tapes and am really enjoying them. My situation is this: I am 36 and have been a stay home mom for 6 1/2 years to a special needs child. Over the past year I have been looking around for a new vocation (I used to be a social worker) and have become interested in the medical field...particularly nursing. This involves quite intensive medical courses that require a good deal of brain power. My track record with school is dismal. I do have my BS in sociology...but I really struggled to get it. I know that I am bright enough for studies, I just lack discipline and I never "learned to learn". Details fly by me and I usually only get the big picture, not the important details. On a whim I signed up for an intensive (6 week, condensed) Human Anatomy course to see if I could do it. I just finished my second week and had my first test today. It was brutal but I did it and I think I did well.
I am specifically looking for suggestions on self discipline, goal setting, study skills, time management, self esteem...basically everything that would help a stay home mom get back into the real world. Any suggestions? I have just received a number of paraliminal tapes from this site, most of them to do with memory and anxiety. Do these tapes really work? I enjoy the relaxation I get with them and wonder if anyone has really improved their ability to learn using them. I will spend some time soon going through the archives for other's experiences but am short on time so was hoping for some posts here. Thanks.

#6087 05/30/03 07:05 AM

Hi Fiona!

I've used the "personal genius"-tape with great success. It makes me feel confident about my brainpowers. New thoughts are popping into my head, like "I wonder what this brain full of neurons can do". I didn't use to think like that. And it never really occured to me that I wasn't supporting myself. I thought I was just a normal young person with an average intelligence. But after listening to the tape I know that I've been holding myself back by not using my potential.

"Get around to it" is also a great tape. If I listen to that one and personal genius I know that I will do the things I need and succeed.

Although when I don't use them daily and I've got to much going on in my life, the effect wears of. But it does seem true that the effect gets increasingly stronger.

Have a nice day!

Tore

#6088 05/30/03 12:44 PM

Do a search on the web for time management and study skills. Then check out the university links you get. Many universities have good help pages. All the essentials are on those pages.... well all except one. The most important thing with ANY PLAN is to use it and keep using it.

Hey, PAUL where is the stick with it paraliminal.

I haven't use any paraliminal for studying; just for personal positive growth. The trick is to stay with it. Although, I find that after dosing with positive for a while, you don't need it. Then be alert and when you need a push in the right direction, you just take a little booster shot. I seem to gotten a little nursey.

Much Success,

Iam2

#6089 05/30/03 01:22 PM
Administrator
Administrator

While the course may seem brutal go easy on yourself. Aim for a passing grade. It really isn't important if you come top of the class, complete the class with a passing grade.

Time management wise I suggest you list your current responsibilities and priorities. Bulk them up if you can. E.g. Lunches... If you pack your own and you prefer sandwiches for lunch prepare a weeks worth in one go and pop them in the freezer. Place them frozen sandwich into your lunchbox the night before you go to bed. That will free you up a lot.

At the end of the class take 5 minutes to review your notes in the class. That way any homework assignments are easier to complete. Make sure you have a note book that you record your assignments in. If it is one that carries over for a couple of days keep moving it to the current days page. (just spending 20 minutes on it putting down information in point form daily, will get the assignment closer to the final product before the due date?

Block in 30 to 90 minutes daily where you can work on revision and homework. You might have to make it 3 x 30 minutes which is actually ideal because it gives you time to reflect and incubate the information.

Take it one day at a time. Just do what you need to do today. Let yesterday and tomorrow take care of themselves for the time being.

Find a way to step back from things that bother you. Enjoy a paraliminal if you need to reverse some frustrations.
Less than 20 days to go to complete the course afterall.

Alex

#6090 06/12/03 05:05 AM

As a single parent who struggled against the odds through higher degrees in law I would recommend a combination of approaches: accelerated learning techniques, photoreading, paraliminal tapes, mind-lab orion or similar for changing brain wave rhythms to induce alpha/theta states as appropriate to your task, and a large dose of emotional self-managment in terms of NLP and mindfulness practice for building confidence and transforming self-perception as a learner. In many ways, having a kid around can force you to have to develop strategies for time management that give you an advantage over students who feel no similar pressure. I found that I simply had to use time well, and that meant a greater degree of focus and energy than some less pressurised (and thus less directed often) students had to produce. You can absolutely make your situation work for you!!!

#6091 06/11/03 06:56 PM

There are many resources but here's an interesting booklet.

How to Get Straight A's http://www.pranayama.org/read.html

"After studying aerospace engineering at the University of Michigan, classical guitar at the Manhattan School of Music, and religion at Columbia University, Magna Cum Laude graduate Sankara Saranam has devised not a method of study but a means to utilize our current educational system to one's greatest advantage. This short booklet is both fun to read and inspiring. Most importantly, however, any student can easily apply the simple techniques to insure better grades."

#6092 06/12/03 12:35 PM

All great advice! As Tore suggested, listen to Personal Genius before you sit down to study. You sound unsure about your abilities which is of course a natural and common feeling, especially going back to school after several years.

Paul Scheele refers to the Personal Genius Paraliminal as the self-esteem supercharger for students. Listening will give you confidence along with a relaxed yet alert state that is ideal for learning. And remember, if you simply listen to a Paraliminal without first stating your goal or without having a purpose in mind, you most likely will only receive relaxation from listening.

Good luck!

p.s. Get Around To It is a great "stick with it" tape.

#6093 08/06/03 03:26 PM

Hi Shr33m,

I have a question for you:have you actually tried Pranayama techniques before?How are the results?

Mage

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved