Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#65683 05/19/08 12:44 AM
OP Offline

Hey Alex,

I was searching through some old posts on the forum, and I noticed something.

You said you went through Howard Berg's Mega Speed Reading, right? I went through the audio portion of it, didn't have access to the video tape or work book. I found that it was ok, but most of it was wasted on Kevin Trudeau spilling false information on everything he could. He's good at that.

If you didn't like it, I recommend something I took recently and enjoyed (and had success with) by Howard Berg, called "Maximum Speed Reading." It's based on the same principles, but it's organized much better and I found it much more helpful. The drills really help too.

Understanding that you're a photoreading instructor, you probably wouldn't really approve of it, and don't get the wrong idea. I still love photoreading.

The only thing is, I find Howard's method more practical for reading inside of libraries and book shops. I wanted conscious information right away, so that I don't have to buy the book, but the only reason I pick it up is because I want the information, so I find that just photoreading the book in the store isn't enough. Even if it merits activation, I would want to do it there, but I don't want to wait for incubation, or come back the next day.

Stuff that I have at home, though, I wouldn't mind photoreading. I have all the time in the world at home at my age, and fortunately for my family, who's very learned, I have a wide selection of every kind of book to choose from.

I also found that Howard's method is practical for when you're waiting, be it standing on a line at a store, being driven somewhere, or just sitting around at a park or something.

Although my speed was much slower (averages being about 23,000 while photoreading, and between 2000-4000 with Howard's method), I just find it practical for using in certain situations and I wanted to know what you're thoughts were on it, and you might even want to try it someday, unless you have a better method.

But don't worry, I'm very open to suggestion right now, and remember, I still support photoreading 100%.

Thanks for the opinions.

-JackTuff13

Learning Strategies Admin

I use the PhotoReading system with a postview in bookshops. I have also got a number of books not just Howard Bergs stuff. I've learned useful information.

The method that Howard teaches on the video is nothing like his book.

I find that just using and superreading and dipping I get what I want in the bookshop or library.

I fully activated 5 books in an hour in the library. Just use the system and you'll eliminate the need to buy books with a simple PhotoRead.

Also from experience. People who know speed reading take the longest to click with full benefits of PhotoReading. They seem to miss out on the direct learning benefit. Expect themselves to be be moved into overdrive in a matter of days. They cannot step down from speed reading because they won't superread faster than their speed reading speed. So I don't recommend learning speed reading which is pushing your eyeballs faster across the page, if you want to learn PhotoReading.

If you learn the system and USE it, you'll move toward faster reading naturally.

AlexK

OP Offline

Hey Alex,
Just a few questions:

1)How do you get what you want with a simple photoread? You still can't discuss the book after only photoreading.
Activating, though, I understand.

But then again,
2)How long are you really letting it incubate before activating in the library?

And also
3)By "fully activated", do you mean got what you wanted out of it? Or that you could discuss the full contents of the book?

I learned Photoreading before learning speed reading, simply for being able to use a quick system at a library or bookstore. Photoreading I mainly use at home.

And,
4)What video and what book are you talking about, when you say Howard teaches something which is nothing like his book?

If you mean the infomercial and course as the video and book, then it actually is the same thing. He's just worked at it more and has adjusted to going faster. He still uses schema and everything he teaches in the course on the infomercial.

Unless you mean something else, then by all means please correct me.

Take care!

-JackTuff13

OP Offline

Hey Alex,

Sorry, just one more thing I forgot to add.

I'm starting to get that sort of feeling where I want the information right after I'm done reading it, which is why I'm starting to get closer with speed reading. After photoreading, I hate waiting to activate.

Anything you can say that might help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-JackTuff13

Jack

2. I don't need to discuss every book I have read. I'd be forever yakking and not doing anything with the books that I've read. If I PhotoRead a book on a subject that I have encountered before I know I haven't learned anything new from the PhotoRead. Whether the book is for me or not is what I'm interested in obtaining from the PhotoReading step. There is just too many books out there and I have to make a decision whether it's worth my time. And PhotoReading and trusting my gut serves me well. Many times I've been encouraged by others to have a look at a book that I had PhotoRead and thought okay maybe I was wrong and checked it out. My intimal decision had always been confirmed. That book is of no use to me.

Conscious comprehension is a funny thing. We have to forget something in order to remember something else.

2. PhotoRead, put the book on the shelve, next one. While PhotoReading the next incubating is taking place. So when I then sit down with the books I PhotoRead the first one again, then the next and next. So by the time I postview (which is a start to activation.) I've had plenty of incubation time for my purpose. If the book isn't making sense I can always drop it and let it incubate longer.

3. Both. I got what I wanted and could tell you about the book.

The Mega Speed reading course came with a video.

Howard Berg has written some books for students. The book I have doesn't promise to help you learn to read 25,000 wpm. It does explain how to read more effectively and faster using his method. Takes a different approach to Tony Buzan's speed reading books. Although both use a WPM approach which I think is perfect for creating frustration. Not all roads can be travelled at the same speed even though you get into the same car. You have to adjust your speed according to a number of external factors. This applies to reading. How familiar you are with the subject will influence your speed through the material.

If you get the feeling you want to access certain information straight away Postview for 12 minutes that helps you locate where the information you are itching to know is located. If you're ready to activate, activate. If not the book needs to incubate. That's why I always plan at least 20 minutes in a book shop. It allows me to do a quick postview on a few books to find what has me itching to know more.

AlexK

OP Offline

Hey Alex,

You talk about frustration and how the speed reading courses cause it. But what about certain people on the forum who have been discussing their frustration with photoreading non-stop?
I haven't felt frustrated with any course except Ed Strachar's so far.

Anyway, the more important stuff I wanted to talk about:

Howard's method teaches you to skim a book so that you know whether or not to read the book. You don't have to really go with your gut, since you consciously know that what you want isn't in the book.

He also emphasizes purpose, which is mainly why you skim first. You also skim to see the layout and the "50,000 foot view" as he calls it.

Since they both worked so well, I can't decide which to use, and knowing that you're a photoreading instructor, can you help me either get back with photoreading or just to stay with speed reading?

Thanks!
-JackTuff13

Alas the frustration people experience with PhotoReading is impatience. They want to know it all in one activation and when I suggest as a beginner they apply 4 to 6 activation to get the conscious comprehension they desire (about 2 hours with a book) That's not good enough so they go back to their old reading habit and spend 9 to 12 hours with a book and hope to know everything. \:\)

Quote:
You don't have to really go with your gut, since you consciously know that what you want isn't in the book.

What a shame. There is information available to us almost instantaneously and it's not good enough. How much more effective as human beings we could be if we had that trust and listened more to the information that is available to us from our own body and mind?

You can satisfy the conscious comprehension to know whether the book suits your purpose with a 3 to 12 minute postview.

For me PhotoReading wins hands down because there is no way I could speed read 40 books in an hour and enjoy spontaneous activation it 4 or more of them. There is no way with speed reading I could PhotoRead 100 or more books in a bookshop and then select 10 books that are informative and useful to me and for others. It also gave me the opportunity to spend 30 minutes with a book that I would never have skimmed based on it's title. Since I was PhotoReading every book on a shelf I included that book even though the cover and information on the cover left me with a no. When I came to selecting the books that one demanded a postview which I gave 20 minutes to.

I'd have never developed certain skills if I had activated material by speed reading. Instead I had the benefit of Direct Learning through PhotoReading. That for me was the second biggest evidence that something happens when I PhotoRead. It proved to me we don't always need conscious comprehension.

For personal reasons I don't say much about how PhotoReading changed my life but change it did. In ways that leave me awestruck. I am teaching PhotoReading because I know how much it can change the lives of people who use the system. I am not a PhotoReading instructor for the money. That isn't where the money is. So when people get frustrated I dig up some more patience because I know once they get it they have found a tool that can change their life.

AlexK

OP Offline

Hey Alex,

Well, if I'm reading at 2000-4000 words a minute, then to stop photoreading and go back to other reading habits would take nowhere near as long as 9-12 hours. More like 1 to 3, 4 at most.

And also, when I said I wanted conscious comprehension right away, I didn't mean as to whether or not I should read the book or not, which is what you stated the postview will help with. That's why Howard teaches you to skim the book. To see whether or not it fits your purpose.

And the patience thing I can start understanding now, since they want to get reading done faster. Whenyou say you'll be photoreading at 25,000 words a minute, that's great. That hooks them in. Then when you say you'll "process" a book in 1/3 the time, it starts getting to the point where they WANT to have conscious comprehension after 25,000 wpm part.

And also, the direct learning part. That's not to say that if I "speed read" a self help book in some subject, I can't integrate the skills I learned into my life. That's not true at all. And I'll consciously do it, so I'll KNOW that I changed because of the book.

Any other thoughts?

Take care!

-JackTuff13

P.S.
Thanks for responding to all my posts!

Interesting ideas!

It seems that much hinges on 'conscious comprehension'. Maybe this need be expanded or re-invented.

The fore-conscious mind must forget to remember. So passing all the material through it might not be all that advantageous.

A keen intuition, well prepared by having PhotoRead the whole Library so to speak would seem to me more efficient and effective.

In my affairs (run my own businesses etc.) I rise or fall by what I know, need pay attention to and do.

I think PhotoReading need be balanced with proving skill well accessing ones supra-mind where the Holographic imaging is stored. Not in translating or downstepping to words that crawl at 200-300 wpm via sub-vocalization. Unless those words be power and magick such as found in affirmations, mantras, and mantric poetry that convey ideas clearly.

Just some thoughts.

Jack you're not reading at 2000 to 4000 wpm you're skimming. That's not even reading. The maximum possible reading speed given the capability of the conscious mind is 560 wpm. No one teaching reading is allowed to claim they can teach you to read more than 800 wpm The danger there is missing the cues that the author has changed direction.

Preview / postview helps you determine if the book meets your purpose.

The biggest advantage of PhotoReading is you start at a sonic speed and slow down. It carries with it natural repeated exposure to the text.

It also goes into the long term memory first. Something processing with the conscious mind prevents. In fact last week I encountered a research paper that points to information being put into middle term memory. This appears to be where all conscious reading winds up.

While you get what you get from skimming I get a through insight into the text because I go over it more often than once through that speed readers do.

I have used the PhotoReading system on books and can still talk about the content 5 years later. And I had read many books the old fashioned way and a week later was couldn't tell you much about the book.

And direct learning ;\) spontaneous activation. A brilliant way to learn without conscious comprehension of the book. Because activation hinders it. It's an interesting experience One that impressed me. To learn a new skill without conscious effort and just be doing it as a result of PhotoReading a stack of books that even today I haven't activated.

AlexK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved