Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Check me on this, please?

It seems to me that in the 7 Steps exercise, Master Lin only says to draw in energy from outside the body one time - the first step when we pull it into our body from everywhere, and then pump it into the tantien. Thereafter, we pump it like a bellows from that spot to the toes, and then raise it from the toes to each succeeding level, until we complete one round.
In other words, we're pumping the same batch of energy up and down throughout the body, yes? Or are we pulling in additional energy each time and then pumping it down to the toes?
Do we envision the energy LEAVING our body through the toes, or is the energy supposed to accumulate briefly in our toes before being pulled back up?

In Small Universe, we push the energy in a circular fashion around the body, from the tantien to bladder to bottom of torso to tip of spinal cord, etc. At one point, I thought it might be interesting to see what would happen if I pushed the energy out through my central nervous system; going sideways rather than up to the base of the skull.
That's me. I always mess around with stuff I don't know anything about.

At any rate, it was really cool. I pulled energy into my spinal cord on an inhalation, and then on an exhalation I pumped it out sideways through my nervous system. I felt a "wrap-around" sensation that wound all around my body, into my arms, down my hands and settled in my fingers, especially my thumbs.

I did not feel anything on my head or face, so on the next inhalation / exhalation I did it again but concentrated only on my head and face. Same thing, a little "wrap-around", tingling sensation.

After that I resumed the recommended procedure, going from point to point as described on the CD. I noticed that on the subsequent rounds, I had a more distinct reaction from the regions I was pushing energy into. It really seemed to "wake up" my body so that it reacted a little more noticeably

I just thought it was interesting. I don't see how it could hurt anything. Or could it?

OP Offline

Wow! 23 views and not a single reply!

That's GOTTA be a record!

Hi,

I'd be happy to comment, but I'm still having difficulty just focusing on doing the exercise as is! But my understanding is like yours (though I'm so new I'm not sure if my opinion counts). I pull in energy one time and just move it within. So I have no idea if it's ok to do it differently, but didn't want you to think you weren't being acknowledged. \:\)

OP Offline

lyonsden - I was kidding around a little bit. I'm not (or I TRY not)to be that impatient. I check in here at least once a day, but I know that people have lives away from computer keyboards.

Like you, I settled on moving one "bolus" of energy up and down because it seemed like too much to do to draw in an additional batch, add it to what I already had and then pump it up and down.

A related exercise that I learned from a different group of folks involves moving a small energy ball through each part of the body individually. You begin with the big toe; either one or both, and then go up and down through each other toe one at a time. Then each foot, then each ankle, shin, knee, thigh, etc until the whole body has been massaged from the inside.

Still others are to "wrap" each body part from the outside, as if you were wrapping the part with a long scarf or you can "brush" each body part, like you had a small paint brush and were applying a thin coat of paint to every part of your body.

What happens when I do that is that the relevant body part begins to "tingle" as the energy centers are activated.

The one thing that has been missing from all of my energy work is "The Ending", the last part of the Active Exercises where Master Lin massages the face, scalp and ears, pats the arms and chest, etc.

My friend at work who's been practicing Qigong has been telling me that it's very important to "ground" yourself after finishing an active exercise, in order to drain off surplus chi and "wake yourself back up".

Last edited by monkbiker; 05/23/08 01:44 PM.

Thanks. I check this forum a lot. I'm a bit obsessive. But SFQ appears to be something I'm really trying to keep on doing, instead of just starting and never really working it. So I'm really interested in what other experiences people have.

I know you were kidding, but I know when I ask a question, there's a little nagging "thing" inside when I don't get an answer. Like a void. But for me, it starts an hour after I post, no matter how many views. \:\)

So, it's really cool that you are so in tune as to bring these other ways to enhance your practice.

I feel a bit silly doing the harvesting/ending exercises, so I'm glad to hear this point of view, which gives me more understanding.

OP Offline

That's cool. I'm convinced that the harvesting / ending exercises are very, very important.

I'm still wondering if anybody else has ever tried pumping chi energy out sideways from their spine through their nervous system, though.

It feels like my body becomes a bell and the energy is the clapper.

It's the coolest thing!

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha moonbiker,

Quote:
Thereafter, we pump it like a bellows from that spot to the toes, and then raise it from the toes to each succeeding level, until we complete one round.
In other words, we're pumping the same batch of energy up and down throughout the body, yes? Or are we pulling in additional energy each time and then pumping it down to the toes?

Either. My visualization tends to be the later.

Quote:
Do we envision the energy LEAVING our body through the toes, or is the energy supposed to accumulate briefly in our toes before being pulled back up?

The excess energy is leaving through all the cells of the body during the exhale. The energy "ball" (for lack of a better descriptor on my part) that you are moving up and down-plunging through the channels, stays in the body.

Much Love,

Shawn

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved