Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#66434 07/02/08 09:12 PM
OP Offline

Hi,
New to the forum but was curious if anyone on here had found any tricks for photoreading technical manuals. The thing that's always gotten me is how many trigger words to pull out. In any technical book or manual there's hundreds!

Any any ideas about how many trigger words, little tricks for reading technical books?

Hi,

You new to the photoreading forum so it is understandable if you never saw any previous posts on not trying to learn photoreading with school textbooks or technical books.

Take the analogy of first we learn to crawl,then we learn to walk,then we learn to run.

Just as we learned to crawl first we did not just immediately start running we learned to crawl first.

Start with a simple basic book that has absolutely nothing to do with school or a career. Something that does not have a grade attached to it. It can be a self help book or a book about a hobby you are interested in.

Not a good idea to try to learn photoreading and some technical manual at the same time. So get 10 basic books and spend 2 weeks activating them.

When you are confident of your activation abilities and you are using the system successfully again 10 basic books for 2 weeks,
prepare,preview, photoread, activate superread & dip, skittering, mindmapping when you really honestly feel that the system is working for you with basic books then transfer that acquired skill to school/technical books.

One more thing about technical books. They take a lot longer than regular books. Be prepared to spend at least 30 hours on a technical book. A technical book will typically take about 90 hours to complete using conventional reading so with photoreading it will take at least 30 hours.

Photoread4me

OP Offline

Hi photoread4me! I appreciate the ideas! I've actually been doing it for a couple of years now and was just trying to see if anyone had any little I guess, tips, they'd found for getting more out of information filled books such as technical manuals or textbooks.

The tips could include ideas like -- a few more trigger words, a tip on mindmapping something like that, or just a better way to rapid read. In other words the steps stay the same, it's just maybe there's a little tip someone might have during one of the steps that could help.

Well, as I study yet another tech book, this one on AMP Web Development I find that pre-view, PhotoRead, gestate a trifle and then slowly digest important 'first ideas' that I think may the lay the foundation of use and understanding to be my preferred methodology.

Generally, this salient info is mostly to be found in first chapter or two, summaries and any glossary or legend key where terms are listed.

Next is use, I just do not see mastering information unless that definition of mastery includes adroit use.

Why else know it? Technical data begs for a application of its detail and it is that very detail that makes it seem so cumbersome.

I like dipping, but I where I find a key point I slow to a crawl for a few minutes and meditate on the significance of the idea involved, shut the book for a bit and go do another task on other subjects before picking the book up again and repeating.

This goes on for a few days until I get the feeling I know it and I leave it be until I have direct use for it. And I do not think it matters at all, how much time goes by, you could pick something back up years down road I reckon.

OP Offline

Hi Yukala! Thanks for that really valuable information.

Sounds like you know what I'm talking about. One of the questions I've realized I was trying to ask is this -- almost any non-technical it's not that hard to pick out a purpose, at least not for me.

However, whenever I'm studying a technical book it's at times difficult. It's hard because say you're studying for an exam --"My purpose is to pass CISSP/MCSE/CCIE(whatever) exam so that I can make more money." To me this doesn't seem like a very concise or strong purpose.

You know what it's like if you're pretty good in IT. Half the time you're reading something because you are looking for a specific solution to a specific problem; this is ideal for stating a purpose.

The other half you're simply reading something because you're either curious about it, taking an exam, or something else that could be very broad. This is where I think I could improve.

I'm probably just thinking too much into this but was wondering if someone else had come across or experienced the same problem.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Originally Posted By: Mathurin

However, whenever I'm studying a technical book it's at times difficult. It's hard because say you're studying for an exam --"My purpose is to pass CISSP/MCSE/CCIE(whatever) exam so that I can make more money." To me this doesn't seem like a very concise or strong purpose.

I have to agree because passing the exam doesn't automatically guarantee more money. It's a question of *how* you use the information. So a better purpose describes how you will be applying the information in the book in your life. You may or may not have decided where you will be working. That is the true purpose that hopefully leads to more money.

With trigger words and technical manuals.

Treat a technical manual like a textbook. Consider each chapter a book in itself. If the chapter is 10 to 60 pages then about 5 trigger words should do the trick. Since you should have PhotoRead the whole manual before activating and are treating each chapter as a book in itself you are effectively postviewing the chapter so as well as trigger words write down one or two questions you have for that chapter. Also don't wastes your time with too much previewing. Just 3 minutes is ample for anything up to 60 pages.

AlexK

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved