Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67155 08/15/08 02:21 PM
OP Offline

Hi,

I just started doing fengshui..and i got confused. So any help here would be appreciated. I live in an apartment with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. My personal number is 8 and my partner is 9 (we are total opposite). There are couple of issues i'd like to address.

1. is it bad to have window opposite the front door? if is, what is the cure? i have blinds put in place.
2. the entrance to my front door is narrow and next to it is kitchen. what can i do to cure this?
3. It says i should stand in the center of the room when measuring with compass, but because it's an apartment, as i said earlier, as soon as you arrive at the front door, on the left is the kitchen, and also, the dining room and living room is in one room. should i stand in the centre of the whole room or think of them as separate rooms and do 2 measurements? - one for living room and one for dining room?
4. Again, narrow hallway leading to all rooms with master bedroom at the very end - trying to hang mirrors in the hallway. Is there any restrictions on where i should hang the mirrors?
5. Lastly, Is it okay to have a bathroom inside the master bedroom? if not, what should i do to cure it?

Sorry for the long questions. Thanks for helping.

If you have a small apartment, you just have to work with what you got. I don't know what level of the course you have or what knowledge you pick up so far with your study in feng shui but i'll give my input.

first thing is to find out your own kua number to find your best 4 direction. find out direction of your apartment building with compass to find good 4 areas of your apartment. you can use compass for the whole apartment or for just the room as well as the whole building depending on what your analysing. make the good area of your bedroom your bedroom. so you have 3 bedroom to choose from. if master bedroom bad energy I suggest using other room. use compass to find direction by using the center of the room. have bed in good area of room set up with the breadwinner's success direction. it's better to be in good energy area than depend on curing bad energy area. More important would be the land forms around your apartment building but that is something we can't do anything about as the building isn't our property.

1. i don't think blinds would be as useful as a shoji screen. shoji screen can redirect flow of energy to circulate around room. if you don't do anything about it, it's ok too. just not enough energy circulation for you to reap it's affect.

2. nothing wrong with kitchen next to the front door. what matters is the energy at the front door which depend on flying star direction. 4 areas that should be good energy is kitchen, front door,living room and bedroom because we use those rooms alot and the energy will rub on to us good or bad energy.

3. as explained above, it depends on your purpose. it usually is measured by room if your feng shui-ing of the room. by the apartment if you want to figure out what rooms are good energy. by the whole building if you want to figure out if your apartment is good energy location of the building.

4. i would say it depend on the energy of the hallway. you can make it bright to enhance up the energy or make it dark to supress energy. since it connected to front door, consider the energy of the front entrance as it will travel to other areas of home or not. mirrors in hallways just make the hallway seem bigger or reflect light which enhance the energy.

5. bathroom ok. nothing wrong with it if kept clean. it's not like we live in old days where it's not modern bathroom. feng shui is all about the energy and it's flow in the area, not about interior design. of course the interior design can help make energy flow better.

so that's my input to help you. take what's useful and disregard the rest.

Last edited by sillypup; 08/15/08 06:04 PM.

Hello, Eager Student

You say "I just started doing fengshui..and i got confused. So any help here would be appreciated." We all get confused by the complexity of Feng-Shui systems as beginners, & the Diamond Feng-Shui course is particularly complex. But some of the basics of feng-shui are simple and practical: ventilation, observation, and common sense!

"I live in an apartment with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. My personal number is 8 and my partner is 9 (we are total opposite). There are couple of issues i'd like to address.

1. is it bad to have window opposite the front door? if is, what is the cure? i have blinds put in place."

I suspect that the reason for your question is that it's usually regarded as "bad" to be able to see right through a dwelling from the front door -- a way for Qi to escape too fast. But it sounds as though in your case, it's not a view through your whole apartment, but only through a very small part of its entrance passage. So if the window gives the only light and view out of your entrance passage that you have, it might be quite oppressive without it. You don't say what kind of blinds you have put in place, but a Venetian blind would best serve the purpose of letting light in and allowing you to see the view out without letting Qi escape.

Otherwise it is neither "good" nor "bad" to have a window opposite your front door, but there are things you need to test before deciding what else to do about it. Qi / Ki is normally thought of as entering through your front door (with movement of people) and as Qi is attracted to light, in theory a window would tend to pull it through your front door and straight out again through the window (especially if the window is open). But if you live in an apartment, and your front door is off a common stair, it might help you to test whether air movement is going up the stair and, if so, whether it is strong enough to actually suck Qi out of your apartment when your front door is open.

The easiest way to test this is to light a joss-stick (something light, like jasmine -- not a heavy scent like sandalwood as your neighbours might dislike it) to test air flows inside and outside your apartment, by observing where the smoke goes. If there is a strong updraught outside your front door, you might find that Qi is actually sucked out of your flat when the front door is open. And if the front door is closed, does the window act to admit air, or pull it out? Or does it all depend on weather, and wind direction outside? Find out what happens naturally, before deciding on "cures".

As you want Qi to enter your apartment through the front door, then if the opposite (in terms of ventilation) is actually happening, it might even help to install a fan in the window, to pull some air / Qi into your flat from the entrance area. (In this case, also use an ioniser (emits negative ions to counteract positive ionisation of airflow over moving metal blades.)

However if you are luckier, and air / Qi does enter naturally through your front door, it's more a question of whether it's also getting into your rooms: try holding the joss stick in the doorway to each room. If there's a good airflow into your apartment, experiment with opening and closing the window to see what difference it makes to air entering each room. If the window sucks air out, rather than admitting it, you need to keep it mainly closed! Also, as you've already installed a blind, experiment to see what difference it makes to open and close this, with the window open / closed.

"2. the entrance to my front door is narrow and next to it is kitchen. what can i do to cure this?"

The result of having a kitchen next to your front door is often to draw visitors (and your own family) from the front door straight into the kitchen, instead of into your living / dining room further inside your apartment, where you might prefer them. One answer is simple: keep the kitchen door closed! (Which you might want to do anyway, to keep cooking smells out of the rest of your apartment.) As a greater deterrent to conducting your social life in the kitchen -- unless you like it that way -- hang a full-length mirror on the outside of the kitchen door, as well as keeping it closed.

If the entrance is narrow, the easiest way to make it seem (and feel) larger is to hang a full-height mirror on the wall next to the opening side of the front door. (Don't use mirror tiles or half-height mirrors -- they give people the feeling of being carved up or cut off at the waist, and your family is likely to see these reflections more often than anyone else.)

"3. It says i should stand in the center of the room when measuring with compass, but because it's an apartment, as i said earlier, as soon as you arrive at the front door, on the left is the kitchen, and also, the dining room and living room is in one room. should i stand in the centre of the whole room or think of them as separate rooms and do 2 measurements? - one for living room and one for dining room?"

To establish the directions of your apartment as a whole, it's best to open your front door and use a compass on its threshold. But beware of having anything metal too close to it, or it will affect the magnetised compass needle and give you a wrong reading.

If your apartment & the rooms within it are all at right angles, the compass directions at the front door will hold good for the rest of the apartment & all the rooms in it: you don't really need to take more readings if you measure up the apartment accurately & draw it out on a plan. (Squared paper helps with this.)

However if your apartment is not rectilinear, but has rooms and walls at different angles, then if your living / dining room is one simple shape with four walls, use the centre of the room to take compass readings. (You can also take readings from the centre of each activity space, but unless you physically divide these two spaces in some way, it still functions as one room).

And if, too, the living / dining room as a whole is a more complex shape (eg an L-shape), take compass readings from the centre of each activity / virtual space. (In this case you will need either to do something to physically separate the spaces -- eg by a screen -- or suggest any "missing" part of the room- as- a- whole with mirrors.)

"4. Again, narrow hallway leading to all rooms with master bedroom at the very end - trying to hang mirrors in the hallway. Is there any restrictions on where i should hang the mirrors?"

Unless a whole wall is mirrored, try to avoid placing any individual mirror on a wall directly opposite a door the other side (you don't want to keep meeting yourself!) -- or, even worse, hanging a mirror not quite exactly opposite a door (to keep meeting one side of yourself!).

"5. Lastly, Is it okay to have a bathroom inside the master bedroom? if not, what should i do to cure it?"

A bathroom is OK inside a master bedroom, so long as air movement is from the bedroom into the bathroom (use the joss-stick test). If it is not, then an extractor fan in the bathroom, wired up to turn on when the bathroom door opens, will help to pull air through from the bedroom, and prevent the escape of moist air and nasty smells into the bedroom.

And, as you say that the master bedroom is at the very end of the narrow hallway from your front door, an extractor fan in its bathroom might also help to pull air / Qi through your apartment from the front door.

"Sorry for the long questions. Thanks for helping."

Hope it did!

OP Offline

thanks sillypup for the shoji screen idea.
and thanks Gabriela for the answers. I'll try doing the joss stick to test out the air flow (i didn't know that we could use this to test air flow).

For the time being, I will put up mirrors first and do the joss stick test.

So far, the whole house has been doing much better now since i've done some fengshui (it has more balanced elements now, before it was too much metal). I've also done some de-cluttering throwing some old stuffs that no longer do me any good (it was sad to part with them but it makes the whole house feels "lighter"). My and my partner "luck" also seems to improve since we create more spaces on the front hallway by moving our shoes wardrobe somewhere else.

I'll do the fengshui change bit by bit everyday.

Thanks for your help.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved