Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67489 04/29/04 05:04 AM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

I need to learn a lot from books.

I'm a photoreader, yet I still feel like I'm not understanding things as well as I should.Getting what I need from the book.Well certain technical books anyway.

My question is this.Is doing an ABC list on the chapter going to be helpful.

Also this question throws up an issue that I have with both ABC lists,a nd mind maps.

Should I ABC list the chapter, or the whole book?

I'm thinking maybe it's best to do the whole book, or even the whole area of study which might include several books, as it'll be easier to build lists when relying on more material than one chapter.

I really need help on this guys.

Thanks!

#67490 04/28/04 07:30 PM

Yes, it would help. You can either do an ABC for the chapters you need and even for the whole book.

#67491 04/28/04 07:59 PM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks!

Just not really sure how to get the best out of it for my studies.

I mean, do I just write out many ABC lists, then look for associations between them?

That's ok I suppose, I'll bring things together more, and see how things interrelate better.

Just not sure though, that I'm missing somehthing.

To be honest I think I'm not going easy on myself, because I just really need to egt the most out of this ASAP.

So I'm a little inpatient and eager to get cracking, I need to start usign this to full effect now.

I know I need to go easy on myself.I have listened to the tapes twice now, and it's true, you do pick new things up every time.

Just ned some feedback, guidance, I don't know.

I'm all over t'place at the mo

#67492 04/29/04 10:59 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Title the ABC list with a subject.

It can be an aspect of your studies or it can match the title of your book.

Then associate a word for each letter to that title, usually a word will bring other associations.

If you want to remember details about one aspect of the chapter bring it down to the chapter level.

I suggest going from broad to detailed much like activating a book. So terminology and jargons pertaining to the industry - broad. Words that fit one aspect of the subject, great for triggering recall if you made the images vivid - detailed.

eg... writing implements - broad
A - airbrush
B - brush
C - charcoal crayon
D - diamond tipped etching pen
E - erasor
F - feather / felt tip
G - graphite
H - highligher

Detailed
Brush -writing implement

S - shaft, W- wood handle P- Plastic handle F - Furell H - Hairs c- Camel S-sable, O - Ox, P Pig or Hog (*goh for my memory web and ABC) list A- Artist, D- Decorator, B- Broad, F- fan

As you can see this is still fairly broad in terms of Brush I can categorise it in types of brushes, parts of a brush, materials used in making a brush. If I can not get at least 20 (knowing I can usually create 3 or 4 wild additions) I look at analograffiti. This sets me up with a specific set of letters and I associate the subject to that. I know when it comes to recalling I need to call up the word and the letter associations I made to that word.

I've created ABC list for books and inserted them into the books as bookmarks. Funny thing is after creating the ABC list I was able to make some summaries about the book. Wrote them on the back.

Alex

#67493 04/29/04 04:22 PM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks very much Alex.

I haven't read about analograffiti yet, so will dive into the book, oops I mean 'dip'
into the book this evening.

That's just what I needed to hear, reassures me as I'm starting out with optimizing.

I'll surely let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved