Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67666 10/02/03 11:18 PM
AnneN Offline OP
OP Offline

Has anyone used the Memory course for learning a language?

AnneN.

#67667 10/13/03 05:03 AM

Good point!
Did I read or hear soemwhere that Ms Birkenbihl has a unique technique - The Birkenbihl Method (I wish I could remember where I saw that!) for learning foreign languages? Is it on the recordings, because I seem to have missed it if it is.
Can anyone tell me what her technique is. or am I imagining hearing about it?
Thanks

I'll be back - to learn some more...

#67668 10/13/03 03:39 PM

Here was the response from Mrs. Birkenbihl from someone interested in learning Chinese:

1. Important: Get totally familiar with the sound by massive passive listening! (Passive listening = listening very softly as much as possible, best for hours on end, creating a "in-the-country-surround-sound" for the subconscious.) The more familiar we are with the sounds the easier it gets.

2. After listening ACTIVELY (until we understand the lesson, or the part of the lesson we want to study today, go to passive listening (see below).

3. Do not learn isolated words (and find "pseudo-translations" for the strange sounds) but work with whole sentences in whole lessons only and visualize what it is all about. When you hear the Chinese sentence (are you hungry? or, he is very hungry, or similar) always a complete sentence, then picture a person extremely hungry. This will be your auxiliary thread. No "explanations" of Sounds because this introduces an extra point into the connections and SLOWS YOU DOWN LATER!

Think: smell travels via one ONE SINGLE neuron from nose into the brain. Things we see may travel via 3 - 5 neuronal connections. Things we think may need 12 - 17 connections. The longer (more complex the idea the longer) the neural path, the more time you shall need later. Thus: even if these little "explanations" may help in the beginning, they will hamper you later on, when you NEED words to express ideas, because you then have a layer of English additional explanations between your thinking and the foreign language.

4. In the beginning: do not speak until thoroughly familiar by active and passive listening. If the sounds seem very strange still, then first imitate the SOUND only (imagine the child wants to make fun of his elders!!!) and after you can manage this highly exaggerated fun-speech it will be easy to imitate the real thing. While listening actively (sometimes later, in the car etc.) and while speaking, always visualize your images of what you hear/say, never repeat mindlessly. You are no robot!

Hope this helps.

vera

#67669 10/14/03 11:11 AM

Thanks for the reply Sandy. Is that the system? I was kind of expecting something more specific, if Vera does have a method for learning languages. To tell you the truth, there is nothing in the reply from Vera that I haven't already heard before, from imagining things as you listen - Colin Rose courses, to the passive listening - a couple of language teachers have already recommended that to me. Is there any more that Vera can tell us? I mean, she's got some wonderful ideas, some of which as just so simple to use, it would be great if she had something on language learning too.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved