Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#68041 10/30/01 11:34 PM
mgrego2 Offline OP
OP Offline

But isn't some of creativity pushing yourself beyond the first answers that come to your mind? (Not suggesting it would be easy, of course) That's why I would be intrigued to see lists that are more wide-open. Colors would be tough unless you're extremely knowledgeable of all the oddball colors or speak another language.

Is abstract a color?

A beta tester is someone who tries out new products before they are released. Like, oh...I don't know...The Genius Code.

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
After seeing your list, i would not be able to think of different words. Your list w/ the exception of a couple words would be my list. After all it's PhRing.

The key is to know --at the same time-- why you chose that particular word. Might be better if you did another list like: animals or colors

colors: me--abstract, blue, cream, dark brown (my shoes), E?, flush(pink), green, H?,
indigo, juniper green, K?, lavender, M?, neutral, O?, pickle(green), quill(blue/ink), rose, S?, T?, uranium(grey), V?, willow green, X?, yellow, stripes(black/white zebra)

I have to go back & see how to make the ones i didn't get---Creative

#68042 10/31/01 12:35 AM

No, i don't think creativity is pushing myself beyond the first answers that pop in. Creativity is magical, effortless, meaningful. I think that the ABC lists are NOT creative in themselves, but i do think that they will promote creativity if practiced. Why? Connections.

No, i don't need to know all the names of colors to derive benefit from doing a color list. That makes it education & that's not fun.

For instance, when i said Abstract for A, i suddenly saw an abstract drawing of a tree that we studied in college. I remember how fascinated i was w/ the abstraction of that tree & it was black on a white background. That's impressive, all the connections that 1 word suddenly connected to.

Then i'd really like to be a LS beta tester

#68043 10/31/01 01:05 AM

One last thing is i just went to level & suddenly all kinds of things popped up.

So, probably being in an alpha state of mind will be of great help for ABC lists.

W/o any effort at alpha i saw: a= arithmetic & my 3rd grade classroom where we had to stand & recite our mulitplication tables front/back w/o any mistakes or we had to start over again. b= books , c= classroom, d= long division, e= effort etc. Each one has a reason for coming to my mind. There's just no way to actually write it all out. But i think that's how it's supposed to work.

Someone correct me if i'm off here. Thanks

#68044 10/31/01 01:38 AM
mgrego2 Offline OP
OP Offline

If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, we have different concepts of creativity. It would seem that your concept is more aligned with the idea that creativity is a gift from the muses. This would imply (to my thinking) that creativity cannot be taught. Is that a misinterpretation? Based on my readings, true creativity is attainable by anyone once they move beyond the easy answers and the quick thoughts. Creative people have more connections but that is because they continue make connections and looking for new connections long after the "non-creative" people have satisfied themselves with the first thought that popped into their heads.

Having said all that, you're probably right that I'm expecting too much in thinking that ABC lists should be creative. The point isn't to be creative but to build connections, threads, links whatever. Creativity will come later. Thank you for that point.

I like your experience with alpha. I need to spend more time pursuing that angle. I do know that I image stream better (accidentally) while listening to paraliminals than when I am trying consciously to image stream. (The images are much more vivid and spontaneous). I assumed that could be because I was in a state of alpha when flowing with the paraliminal.

[This message has been edited by mgrego2 (edited October 30, 2001).]

#68045 10/31/01 02:49 AM

I don't think "true" creativity can be taught any more than natural athletic ability can. But everyone can benefit from gym class & a kind teacher, right?

That said, i do think creativity can be encouraged via all kinds of activities. I also think that all human beings are in need of feeling & acting in a creative manner. Creativity is perhaps the most important ingredient for living a successful life. Listen i feel creative even when i cut grass b/c i do it differently all the time. Or, i will do some intuition work & thanks to the physical activity of cutting the grass, i seem more relaxed & ideas flow.

The earliest feelings of creativity go to the toilet. Children being toilet trained have a real fascination w/ what's going on there & it is a feeling of creativity. So, i guess we really can't be taught to be creative, we already are.

I really like what you have written here & agree w/ it. Only thing is that sometimes the first thing that pops in is the most creative. That's how intuition works. Grab that first hint.

I know this: Your negative comments on your PhRing list were uncalled for. Your list was truly wonderful. So, right there is something for you to look at...at an alpha level of mind or even a theta level of mind. Why? Well, i'm not so sure you know just how creative you are; or, maybe you don't trust your creativity. Your writing is always creative & interesting to read.

quote:
Originally posted by mgrego2:
. This would imply (to my thinking) that creativity cannot be taught. Is that a misinterpretation? Based on my readings, true creativity is attainable by anyone once they move beyond the easy answers and the quick thoughts. Creative people have more connections but that is because they continue make connections and looking for new connections long after the "non-creative" people have satisfied themselves with the first thought that popped into their heads.

edited October 30, 2001).]

#68046 10/31/01 03:13 AM
mgrego2 Offline OP
OP Offline

I can't disagree with you on the intuitive flashes. They certainly happen and when they do, they're often gold. I just believe that when they don't, you can still coax out excellent results by continuing to push a bit. This suggests that creativity doesn't have to be a "free-spirited" thing and I'm OK with that.

I once worked for a company that went bankrupt because they decided to develop a software package. They maintained that the programmers were creative spirits and they couldn't have their creativity hampered or imperiled by things like deadlines or expectations. Having been a programmer, I knew that was a load of crap. I argued my case and lost. They never did produce the software but we all lost our paychecks. My point, I think, is that you're right that we're all born creative. Some more so than others. BUT...applied effort can be just as effective as the occasional blessing from the muses (and perhaps more consistent). If you read the creativity books by Michalko, Hall, Clegg, or von Oech, they all seem to believe that creativity is a process that can be learned and applied regularly and consistently. How the heck did we wind up here? :0

Thanks for your comments on my posts. I always enjoy and learn from your insights.

It's not that I distrust my creativity. It's that I'm rarely satisfied with it. I'm sure there is an issue there that could stand to be addressed. Thanks again. I'm glad we have a new forum in which we can theorize...

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
Only thing is that sometimes the first thing that pops in is the most creative. That's how intuition works. Grab that first hint.

I know this: Your negative comments on your PhRing list were uncalled for. Your list was truly wonderful. So, right there is something for you to look at...at an alpha level of mind or even a theta level of mind. Why? Well, i'm not so sure you know just how creative you are; or, maybe you don't trust your creativity. Your writing is always creative & interesting to read.

#68047 10/31/01 03:35 AM

mgrego2:
I learn a lot from you. I am only on the B side of tape 2.

I hope Pete or Dana will verify whether or not we need to just grab the first word that comes to mind or not for the ABC lists.

I thought she said that our lists will vary depending on what's going on w/ us. Like an animal list on Tues. will probably be different from an animal list on Sat.

I may have been a little simplistic here in thinking that if i just do the lists, somehow my creativity & ability to make connections for other stuff will just kick in automatically.

I really hope it works like that. I'm doing too many things to have to "work" at the ABC list.

I'm the same way w/ my creativity. I get excited w/ what comes up & then a couple days later i wonder what i was so excited about. This whole topic should have been under the ABC lists. Sorry.

#68048 10/31/01 03:53 AM
mgrego2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Margaret,

I think you were correct in grabbing the first thing. I was making too much of it. The point isn't to be creative but to make connections. If you can justify what you've written, you've created a successful thread. In the book, she seems to suggest that you write down the first thing that comes to mind. Occasionally, you'll have to "cheat" as Vera suggests. That's where the creativity will come in. I find myself rejecting things that pop into my head because they aren't creative enough. Dumb idea. Why agonize over a single list when you could spend that time increasing the benefit by coming up with another list?

You should see the crossed out items on that Photoreading ABC list I also did one with fictional characters and nearly crossed off the cartoon characters. What's up with that? I think you're exactly right and I'm complicating a simple procedure.

This IS off topic but at least we're learning, right?

BTW, I'm not sure where you are in the course right now. I'm using the CD's, so we're comparing apples to oranges. I'll look forward to you catching up and the others chiming in.

[This message has been edited by mgrego2 (edited October 30, 2001).]

#68049 10/31/01 12:19 PM

Hi guys,

Beta testing for LSC would be realy interesting.

I haven't looked at the ABC list on PR yet as I am going to do one and don't want any influence yet.

I don't think we would be gumming up the works by remembering childhood stuff. I think it would free up our minds and allow more of our personality to show in our life. The information is already in there, might as well have access to it. I don't remember much of mine either.

Gregory

#68050 10/31/01 01:22 PM
mgrego2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Gregory,

I didn't mean to suggest that we'd be gumming ourselves up, just LSC's server. I think there would be definite value to recalling things from my past, especially if:

1. I could learn from past failures/successes.
2. It would enable me to make more and more connections so I could get value out of that 11 miles of jungle.

I kid my wife that I don't remember much from my past because the aliens periodically wipe my memory when they're checking the implant in my nose. I don't believe that, since the obvious reason is that I am a clone that was developed during a secret government experiment...

My wife has very clear memories from her past, and not just a few highlights. Not me. I recently met up with two guys I had grown up with. I hadn't seen either in at least 8-15 years. They both mentioned a party I took them to when I was in college (I met with them separately over that weekend). They each had vivid memories of this party, including the house where it was held, things that happened, etc. It wasn't at school, it was at someone's house and took place several hours away from where I went to college. You would think it would stand out for me. I had NO recall of this party. It was extremely odd to have two people talking about things that happened as if it were yesterday and I couldn't begin to pull up even a hint of it.

Does this count as sharing history with the virtual tribe?

[This message has been edited by mgrego2 (edited October 31, 2001).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved