Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68731 09/24/08 03:28 PM
ked Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi --
I'm a photoreader who has had several years of application with the system both for leisure and at school. I am a big fan of the system, especially mind mapping.

I recently started law school and am finding my ability to apply the system to break down. I recognize that it is because I have an extremely high desire to capture ALL of the information in the readings, and this causes the system to not work as well (as Paul always writes, the more you let go of the need to have information, the more that comes to you). But because I am reading so much on a daily basis and I need to know all of the details, I find the stress of law school to make applying the system difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is anyone else in law school or in the law industry?

An unique aspect of legal reading is reading law cases. These readings are very small in page numbers, but contain a wealth of information -- so super reading and dipping seem to not work as well.

Let me know if I can be more specific in what I am doing, otherwise any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ked Offline OP
OP Offline

An additional question I thought of: usually I use the multiple pass method to go through a novel or a long chapter in a textbook to get the information I need from the text. I find super-reading in "layers" is helpful to "gel" the material (I love the gel concept).

But when reading short law cases, I dont feel there is enough time to get into the superreading "gel" mode. When I read a novel, it takes a few pages to get into the mode where my brain absorbs the information instead of reading it. There is no time for my brain to adjust in short 2-4 page cases.

Does anyone else relate to what I"m saying?

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Someone I know recently finished a law degree. Said that he didn't go into the detail of the cases and actually only read maybe one case during the course. He admitted he was rather lazy and didn't take the PhotoReading process as far as he could have.

Remember you're dealing with textbooks that take 100 hours of traditional reading. Build in layers. Go quickly over the pages and repeat more often and faster. Then start skittering. Superreading and dipping is probably not the best choice for activating a law textbook.

Use mind mapping more it helps you to focus. That's one thing he did a lot of. He had a lot of mind maps that helped him with his review before the exams.

Oh one thing the recent law graduate did. PhotoRead the textbooks often. Not just once and then activate.

AlexK

ked Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much Alex! You're always so helpful, I really appreciate it.

All of those thoughts sound great. I already tried skittering and it seems much more helpful than superreading/dipping.

I have also heard that the reading is less important than the studying (ie. mind mapping). I mindmap my classes and despite odd looks from classmates, I find it very helpful.

One additional question: suggestions for photoreading the whole text book? So far I have only photoread the cases as they are assigned as I don't like the prospect of photoreading a 1200 page book. Should I just bite the bullet and photoread it? How often would you suggest photoreading the whole casebook -- once a week enough?

Thanks again.
K

[quote=ked
One additional question: suggestions for photoreading the whole text book? So far I have only photoread the cases as they are assigned as I don't like the prospect of photoreading a 1200 page book. Should I just bite the bullet and photoread it? How often would you suggest photoreading the whole casebook -- once a week enough?
K [/quote]

yes.

You made a reference to the stress of law school. This could be eliminated with EFT, http://www.emofree.com . In the absence of stress you have a calm and receptive mind.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved