Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68790 09/27/08 07:00 PM
kLMN Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, I'm Kyle and I'm a freshman college student.

I need to come up with a research topic about something that is arguable, specific, interesting to me (which it very much is), and "manageable".

I've read thresholds of the mind and a few others books that are similar, and i've used holosync from centerpointe research for almost a year now.

I feel as if i should argue that regular meditation can help college students or people in general with their lives and with success.

But i feel like i need a better way to look at it, or something more specific. I need some ideas for other angles i could use in a research paper. The more help the better! Thanks in advance!

Why don't you write down both sides of the meditation question and see what happens. What could you come up with that indicates that Meditation has merit and benefits those that practice regularly-any scientific research that validates this view.

Take the other side and try to discredit it as a waste of time.
Devolped by some Lazy Monk or Yogi who was high on fresh air and out of touch with reality. Sitting up on a mountain not contributing anything to society except his intangible "meditation".

I'm sure you could find a manageable arguement in there someplace.

The subject is vast, you are at the beginning of a journey...

Go to the library and Photoread every single book on the subject, at least a hundred of them and let it cover the last 150 years of discourse...

You will then know how to argue it...

And the rest of your life will be a breeze.

I think you should forget the books and do nothing, you'd be way ahead.

I disagree. The first step in anything starts with awareness about a certain topic. Photoreading is a handy method to acquire a vast amount of information quickly. However, unless the acquisition of knowledge triggers change of habits in real life, no progress will take place.

And if you go off searching for the guts of meditation by reading everything and analysing it all you will always be stuck in the dualist mind.

Do nothing, be one with the Universe, Relax and then Relax even more. Go with the feeling Luke, not the thinking, there you will transcend all the mental machinery and just enjoy it.

Otherwise,this other path leads you to become an educated idiot.
Of course this is only my humble opinion.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

What are you hoping to tell them?

Are you proposing to source out proof that validates this argument?

Quote:
I feel as if i should argue that regular meditation can help college students or people in general with their lives and with success

The how or the why?

Don't overload yourself with too much PhotoReading. Be selective and use syntopic reading.

There is actually there's quite a bit of documented research that supports this simply for health and well being.

It would be more interesting to understand why people don't meditate. And how not meditating isn't supporting them.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved