Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Steve,

I know this is out of order with your posts, just bear with me.

Bypass conscious study? Not exactly, activation is the conscious study. It is NOT recall until you activate, because it hasn't ever been "called" upon in the first place. Just like it's not re"membered," because it was never made a "member" so to speak of your conscious comprehension. That's what this is about. Conscious comprehension, so that you may USE it to help yourself, give a speech, pass a test, etc.

Now the example you gave, of the spanish thing, doesn't really say that the brain isn't capable of what it CAN do, rather isn't aware of what has been done or accomplished. Now, can the brain think? Can the brain assume? Can the brain be aware of things?
It's hard to say, because then you might as well say that it's our finger's typing, our mouths talking. Usually we say it's US talking. It's just a perspective, no one is right or wrong, it's just the way it sounds can be debated.

"Don't you see? You just DID!"
I don't see, and what did I do? =D

I know exactly what you were saying about the brain being like a muscle, and while, yes, different parts of the body share some characteristics, i.e.: being able to grow stronger, it's truly not a muscle, in reality, but yes it shares the characteristic of being able to grow in that it holds more information, as muscles hold more protein or whatever happens.

Anyway, I'm glad we can discuss these different views as we can learn many things from each other. Feel free to respond to my post.

-JackTuff13

seng Offline OP
OP Offline

another questions, when doing revision for exam, can i just do some review questions as activation and to restimulate my brain? i'm too lazy to draw mind map. I'm also dun want to resort to linear passage in textbooks for revision because the time is very limited and my concentration is not good.

OK, NOW you're repeating me!

Originally Posted By: Jacktuff13
Steve,

I know this is out of order with your posts, just bear with me.

Bypass conscious study? Not exactly, activation is the conscious study. It is NOT recall until you activate, because it hasn't ever been "called" upon in the first place. Just like it's not re"membered," because it was never made a "member" so to speak of your conscious comprehension. That's what this is about. Conscious comprehension, so that you may USE it to help yourself, give a speech, pass a test, etc.

STILL, you obviously knew it to a degree. I noticed something a while ago, and vera alluded to it ALSO! Memories aren't really recordings of what was "learned" per se, at least they USUALLY aren't. They are basically units made up of existing parts. If I asked you to go to a store, and you went there, you might simply remember that you went to that store to get whatever. The details of the trip may be mostly from other trips to the same place. If I gave you directions, you might use directions from a place you already knew about that is closer to the destination. Likewise, the memory could exist without a route to get there. Remembering a piece you used to get there, etc... might reconstruct the entire memory.

In other words, the mind may be like a mind map, or the tag directory on a compressed file. ZIP,GZIP, etc... store files as just a bunch of pointers to tags(which are parts of the file that are the largest common pieces). If a tag repeats 50 in a file and is 2GB in length, you just saved almost 98GB! Like learning, the BULK of it is easy. That TAG directory is the hardest part of the file to construct. For the brain, that tag directory would be the original learning.

Now the example you gave, of the spanish thing, doesn't really say that the brain isn't capable of what it CAN do, rather isn't aware of what has been done or accomplished.

Right, so it is IGNORANT of that.

Now, can the brain think? Can the brain assume? Can the brain be aware of things?
It's hard to say, because then you might as well say that it's our finger's typing, our mouths talking. Usually we say it's US talking. It's just a perspective, no one is right or wrong, it's just the way it sounds can be debated.

Yes but, ideally, you will only depend on what you KNOW. Even ALEX told brain to depend only on what he knows.

"Don't you see? You just DID!"
I don't see, and what did I do? =D

You said "Now, on the brain being ignorant of its capabilities, I don't know if you can necessarily say that with certainty."

Sho you can't be CERTAIN of what it knows! It is IGNORANT!

Third meaning in dictionary.com: 3. uninformed; unaware.

I know exactly what you were saying about the brain being like a muscle, and while, yes, different parts of the body share some characteristics, i.e.: being able to grow stronger, it's truly not a muscle, in reality, but yes it shares the characteristic of being able to grow in that it holds more information, as muscles hold more protein or whatever happens.

Oh yeah, I know. The brain is almost like a foreign creature to the body. Certain things are needed by the body that can hurt the brain, etc... There is the blood brain barrier, etc.... Both muscle and the brain were, at one point, said to not really grow as far as the number of cells. NOW, they know better. Currently, some DOCTORS speak of the number of muscle fibers growing, and they at least TALK about glial cells replacing dead neurons. EINSTEIN was said to have a lot of them!

They REALLY don't know much about the brain though. When it all comes down to it, they know about what the average high level and barely curious programmer knows about computers. Think about it.... And I know FAR more than the average high level programmer, but I wouldn't attempt to build a CPU from 100% discrete components. Until scientists get to THAT level, maybe they shouldn't be so quick to talk about limitations of the brain.

Anyway, I'm glad we can discuss these different views as we can learn many things from each other. Feel free to respond to my post.

-JackTuff13

Glad to hear it.

Steve,

"STILL, you obviously knew it to a degree. I noticed something a while ago, and vera alluded to it ALSO! Memories aren't really recordings of what was "learned" per se, at least they USUALLY aren't. They are basically units made up of existing parts. If I asked you to go to a store, and you went there, you might simply remember that you went to that store to get whatever. The details of the trip may be mostly from other trips to the same place. If I gave you directions, you might use directions from a place you already knew about that is closer to the destination. Likewise, the memory could exist without a route to get there. Remembering a piece you used to get there, etc... might reconstruct the entire memory.

In other words, the mind may be like a mind map, or the tag directory on a compressed file. ZIP,GZIP, etc... store files as just a bunch of pointers to tags(which are parts of the file that are the largest common pieces). If a tag repeats 50 in a file and is 2GB in length, you just saved almost 98GB! Like learning, the BULK of it is easy. That TAG directory is the hardest part of the file to construct. For the brain, that tag directory would be the original learning. "

I don't get why you would say this, as it doesn't contradict anything I've said, nor does it add on to it. But thanks?

"You said "Now, on the brain being ignorant of its capabilities, I don't know if you can necessarily say that with certainty."

Sho you can't be CERTAIN of what it knows! It is IGNORANT!

Third meaning in dictionary.com: 3. uninformed; unaware."

When I say ".....I don't know if yo can necessarily........"---it doesn't mean that I'm not aware of whether or not you can, as I know you obviously can say it no matter how certain you are. Rather, it wouldn't be correct nor incorrect if you said it, as how can the brain be aware of something? Then you might as well say the brain watches the tv, the brain types the term paper, the brain talks on the phone. Instead, we say "I watch the tv, I type the paper, I talk on the phone."
So now, yes, WE are unaware of what we can do, but is the BRAIN truly aware?
Based on what we say, I would say no, but I'm no expert and this actually is an irrelevant argument for photoreading, but it was fun to have.

Anyway, I have to go now. I'll be back later in case you want to post another reply saying anything, about anything.

-JackTuff13

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Originally Posted By: seng
another questions, when doing revision for exam, can i just do some review questions as activation and to restimulate my brain? i'm too lazy to draw mind map. I'm also dun want to resort to linear passage in textbooks for revision because the time is very limited and my concentration is not good.

Try it and see. And if you determined yourself too lazy your self talk can show up in your grade.

Steve I like this
 Quote:
the memory could exist without a route to get there. Remembering a piece you used to get there, etc... might reconstruct the entire memory.

Yep that's the basis of spontaneous activation. The stuff you PhotoRead goes into long term memory. If you haven't made an active effort to call on the memory then it's difficult to call on it when you need it.
 Originally Posted By: seasoned
Alex,

You earlier said:

"Learn the system on a book of not more than 250 pages. Once you got it you can use it on all material."

Obviously, seng is trying to determine how you know "you got it".

Do it often enough so you confidently know all the steps of the system. Like driving . You just know when you got it no one else can tell you.

Quote:
Hopefully I am wrong, and Alex can correct me if I am wrong, but usually the brain is rather ignorant of it's capabilities.

Talking about the brain knowing itself is like trying to see yourself from the back. Impossible. We can only experience reality by doing and noticing the feedback.

Quote:
I would love to feel as confident as alex appears to be. I don't even scan as fast as I used to.

Release, Notice, Respond, Witness that's how confidence grows.

Now in future please try to keep on topic. Your discussion has probably confused Seng unfairly.

AlexK

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved