Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

What should I do if I can't activate the material well enough? Do I have to photoread again or just practice until eventually I would become able to do it? Thank you.

Last edited by Intermittent.Bee; 11/28/08 10:48 PM.

Hey,
At first, 1/3 the time it would normally take you to read the book would be the presumable time to get detailed comprehension using photoreading.
It gets faster the more you use it.
The key is to keep activating the book in layers. Super read the book 30 minutes or so after photoreading.
Then super read and dip the book. Then if you want more comprehension, super read and dip the book again.

Each of those segments should take about 30 minutes, except for the photoreading step of course, which will only take between 5 and 15 minutes depending on the size of the book and the time it takes to get into state.

-JackTuff13

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Check your purpose, and your mind probing questions. Remember to set a timer for activation. Stick with it until it gels.

AlexK

Comprehension and activation should be done in layers. It might also help to try 3 or 4 30 minute activation sessions. Alex is right - know your purpose, know what information you need to get out of the text.

I sometimes find, as I practice activation, that I am spending a good bit of time with a book--but, once I get to that point I perceive that my comprehension is higher than it would be with regular reading, with less strain, and no tiresome highlighting.

I got a very good sense of Bob Woodward's 450-page tome The War Within, including grasping his two key arguments and the examples that sustain them, in about 2.5 hours. Back in college, had that book been assigned, I suspect it would have taken me 10 hours to get to that point.

Highlighting is something the mind does when purpose and/or dialogue with the author combine with having done the PR step.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved