Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
alucard Offline OP
OP Offline

I watched the video in which the seminar participants were asked to photoread a book in 30 minutes and then go on to stage to answer some questions about the book they photoread.
My question is: in half an hour, how is it that they prepare, preview, photoread, INCUBATE, activate and rapid read?
I dont see thereīs enough time to do this with a book, how do you have to go about to achieve this in just thirty minutes without the incubation time? As far as Im concerned the incubation has to be at least 20 minutes, so it means i have 10 to do the other steps.
If anyone can help me out with this one, itīd be really appreciated since that would help me tons.
Thx

Incubation is not totally critical to the process, and Preview/Rapid Read are two steps that are actually completely optional. Once you get it down to Prepare/PhotoRead/Activate, 30 minutes actually makes a lot of sense.

All you're going for is to get the core information out of the book. Prepare can take seconds, PhotoReading step 5 mins or less, and then that leaves 20-25 minutes for a nice single activation pass to get the core information from the book.

Bah bam, son! Your work is done. =]

It probably consists of SuperReading - going through to get the key information from each chapter. I tend to have a tougher time getting good comprehension (or enjoyment) from a novel doing a single 20 minute activation pass, but for any nonfiction book that can be all I need. That is not to say that I haven't successfully activated novels in 30 minutes or less - it's just a rarity for me because of a number of reasons.

Incubation is recommended to be AT LEAST 20 minutes and ideally a nice 24 hour period before coming back to the material. For your school textbooks - PhotoRead those suckers once a night, followed by PhotoReading whatever chapters you're studying at the time in addition to the entire textbook.

Hope this helps.

alucard Offline OP
OP Offline

Thx Youngprer. Never seen it that way, but this arises a couple of questions. One is about purpose, and the other one is about post viewing.
So, first of all you said that incubation isnt really that necessary, which means that your brain processes all the information right away and organizes it to have it available right as you go. Secondly, the thing about previewing is that it lets you modify and adjust your purpose, so does postview, the latter also give me time for mind probing, formulation of questions and so forth. So, how can a book be really that well understood to answer questions if you take like fifteen minutes to consciously activate it without any previews knowledge of what the book is about. So whatīs the importance of incubation after all? I know purpose is escential, so it means u have to have a good and really well formulated purpose cause thatīs whatīs going to be till the end, no time to change...

Incubation is important, but it is not absolutely necessary. The act of actually asking questions after a first 20 to 30 minute activation session can serve as part of activation itself. Incubation simply shows to give better results because the mind has had more time to organize information. The idea behind waiting 20 minutes is that it is long enough to make a difference with your subconscious processing of the material, but short enough to prove practical. Still, if you NEED to dive right in because of time constraints, there is nothing that says you can't! It's simply ideal not to do so if you have the time. Waiting 24 hours is good because it allows your mind to process the material during sleep.

I would still go with doing a postview and formulating a good purpose - purpose is the driving force of good comprehension during activation. Remember that purpose is knowing exactly what you want out of the material. You can still do mind probing, too, but you should be doing it (if you ONLY have 20 to 30 minutes) on an intuitive, conscious basis instead of taking the time to write questions down.

If your goal is to get really good with doing a single 30 minute session, you might want to try a few other sort of "stepping stones" first. Can you get good comprehension using various techniques of your choice in 90 minutes total? How about 60 minutes? Then try 30 minutes. Practice makes perfect, and honestly - depending on the material you may or may not be able to do it. Some books are just going to take longer than 30 minutes for solid comprehension. Just like with many other things, though: practice makes perfect!!!

Your speed is going to be affected by all kinds of factors, like previous knowledge of the material, the amount of information you're seeking to retrieve, your purpose with the book, and so on. Always remember the first part of PhotoReading: don't beat yourself up. =]

Last edited by youngprer; 12/16/08 02:54 PM.
alucard Offline OP
OP Offline

Thx very much for the tips. I will surely try that out.

alucard,
The thing with this, or anything, is that it comes down to belief. If you believe that you can photoread a book and activate it right away, and let that belief internalize, it will work for you.

There is an often-repeated story about a boy who had fallen asleep in math class, and woke up and saw a problem on the board. He wrote it down, thinking it was part of their homework. It took the good part of the night, but he solved the problem.

Little did he know, that the teacher had written the problem on the board to show the class an example of an "unsolved" maybe even "unsolvable" problem.

The boy solved it because he didn't KNOW he wasn't supposed to be able to solve it.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Hagbard
alucard,
The thing with this, or anything, is that it comes down to belief. If you believe that you can photoread a book and activate it right away, and let that belief internalize, it will work for you.

There is an often-repeated story about a boy who had fallen asleep in math class, and woke up and saw a problem on the board. He wrote it down, thinking it was part of their homework. It took the good part of the night, but he solved the problem.

Little did he know, that the teacher had written the problem on the board to show the class an example of an "unsolved" maybe even "unsolvable" problem.

The boy solved it because he didn't KNOW he wasn't supposed to be able to solve it.

Bill

That is a very nice story, sounds very close to the majority of my public school experience!

I find I still use it however, except I just go to bed very early thinking about what I want.

I like to say, "Okay brain, figure it out!" It does.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

The 30 minute challenge was exactly that a 30 minute challenge. We were given a book and challenged to see what we could learn from that book. No doubt at the end a few would have loved more time with the book.

The challenge was to demonstrate what the experienced PhotoReader is capable of if they aren't so rigid in their approach.

AlexK

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved