Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69936 12/19/08 03:21 AM
scooter Offline OP
OP Offline

well, I am finally in a position to start my active level one exercises! hooray for me!!! Anyhow, I am wondering if I should also do regular exercise daily also...? I'm really tired lately so I think this is the thing to help me. Also I am wanting to lose weight so maybe it will help me not be so sloppy with my eating habits.?.. and also my lack of motivation in general... would be nice if this helps with that also!

I am blessed to have this!
thanks for any input,
.......... scoots~* ;\)

scooter #69947 12/19/08 04:03 PM

Yes, you can exercise too, I do this as well, Qigong in the morning work-out in the after-noon.

Good luck,

JEFF

Without desire there is tranquility. And in this way all things would be at peace. -Lao Tzu
JeffreyC #69953 12/19/08 08:36 PM
scooter Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey JeFF,

thanks for your responce. I really felt the chi come back today after I did my first workout with the DVD. I have been shut down lately and not feeling the chi like I usually do. It's bound to cmoe back stronger as time goes on. I'm used to having quite a bit of chi so I'm grateful to get it back. Not sure why it has shut down so much. Maybe too much sleep for one thing! Anyhow, I decided to play it by ear and I also did exercise in the afternoon. I think I might exercise tonight too. I need it badly. I plan on meditating after the SFQ tomorrow. I have some guidance to do so from a Shaman I used to be more connected to. He is very wise and has insight into things.... If you want to go on his peace group, pm me. He sends drawings and a short message each month. It is an honor to know someone like him...

I'll keep you posted on my progress. This will help encourage me...

cheers!
scoots~* \:\)

scooter #69956 12/19/08 10:16 PM

No problem.
Don't worry about qi levels, just regularly practice.
Avoid strong emotions. moderation in all things.

JEFF

Without desire there is tranquility. And in this way all things would be at peace. -Lao Tzu
JeffreyC #69979 12/21/08 06:05 PM

To scooter and anyone else interested,

I agree with Jeff's words below.

Also:

All things in SFQ are "good, better, best".

As far as exercise, "best" is to do any exercise (with the exception of Tai Chi, for complicated reasons not worth going into here) with a "window" of 30 minutes in-between SFQ practice, i.e. either 30 minutes before or after SFQ. "Better" is to wait some time from a few minutes to 20 minutes in between. Still "good" is to do SFQ right on top of any other exercise before or after.

I do my SFQ and my T'ai Chi Ch'uan practice, together, because from Shawn here, from Patrick Dougherty (author of QIGONG IN PSYCHOTHERAPY and a senior practitioner, instructor and Master Healer in SFQ, as well as a therapist with 30 years of professional practice) on a phone coaching session and from Master Lin in person, I have it on good authority that, it is "best" to do those exercises together.

Most people will need other exercise to keep fit. I actually lost 35 lbs from May 2007 to early this year, just doing SFQ mostly (with very little T'ai Chi. I now do a half hour of T'ai Chi, including slow set, fast set and broadsword as part of my active exercise morning session).

To be fair, my diet also changed. However, I can trace the diet change , as well, DIRECTLY ;\) to my SFQ practice, meditation and healing from Master Lin. It was as if the energy directed me to the foods I needed to feel good and still lose weight. It is hard to explain, but it really does work!

On the other, other hand ;-), I was also doing about 2 hours minimum of SFQ every day! This is a lot of exercise, actually and for many people, might indeed be sufficient. I think for most people, though, a good mix of SFQ and other forms of exercise is important. Perhaps some good amount of resistance or anaerobic training, along with a little bit of cardiovascular or aerobic training (we need less of this than they used to think. Lately, resistance or anaerobic training is seen more and more as the new "youth" key, as far as exercise).

Having said all of that, the same principle applies to qigong as to any exercise:

A fitness instructor in the USAF, while I was on what was called not-so-affectionately, "the fat boy" program (ah, how motivational is that!), asked our class, "what is the best form of exercise?".

We didn't know.

She told us, "The best form of exercise, is the one that you will actually do!"

This is true for aerobic, anaerobic, yoga, qigong, or anything else. Obviously, there is always "good, better, best" in anything, and one should consult fitness and health professionals when starting a new program and/or when trying to improve one's performance.

Nevertheless, starting and doing consistently has a lot of power and efficacy.

Within SFQ practice, you can also help lose weight, by bending the knees slightly more than the "normal" SFQ stance. This opens up the belt channel in the meridians and helps burn calories and fat. This is pretty much a universal principle in all forms of qigong.

The trick is to not hurt your knees. Only bend them a little more. One can increase this gradually over time, but again, gradually.

I think the fact that I was doing a lot of SFQ and bending my knees more than the normal stance, helped me a lot during the losing of 35 lbs and going from 200 lbs plus (I am 5ft 9 inches tall) and a 40 waist to my current 36 waist. I remain consistently at that size and about 175 lbs.

Again, the diet changed also, and helped lead to these significant body and health changes, but I truly feel the change in diet was a result of a change in energy in my body. That was a direct result of my SFQ practice and a phone healing from Master Lin. It was the SFQ that led the way and opened up the physical, mental and spiritual channels that produced the results.

I really think that if someone wants to improve almost in any area of life, a focused, consistent SFQ practice will lead them to the other tools they will need to continue in whatever goals. It just works!

I started it just as a way of improving my health, mentally and physically. And that is all anyone really needs. Level I is actually enough and has pretty much what most people will ever need.

However, for me personally, now, it has become one of the most significant forces in my life. Most of my day and week is centered on SFQ activities. I have gone through level III and now a certified teacher of Level I. I love SFQ so much and it so important to me and I want so much to help others learn about it. It is such a gift--truly priceless, IMHO.

My point here is not that others should also become teachers of SFQ, or practice 2-5 hours every day, but rather that a consistent focused modest practice (a minimum of a half hour of active exercise every day and a half hour of Small Universe) of SFQ Level I, can help you with almost any issue you are working on. Might you need other tools, as well? Probably. But in my experience, my SFQ practice has opened me up to those other tools, as well as helping utilize them better.

Anyway, for what that's all worth. As usual, your mileage may vary. We are all unique and different. I only know what I know from my experience.

I hope it helps others here. I helped me to share it. SO thanks for "listening".

Originally Posted By: JeffreyC
No problem.
Don't worry about qi levels, just regularly practice.
Avoid strong emotions. moderation in all things.

JEFF

blessings,

Steve
shakurav #69999 12/22/08 11:32 PM
scooter Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Shaki,

I appreciate your helpful advise, experience and knowledge. I intend on sticking with this for a long while. It is good timing for me. I have to wait until the right time with things and this seems to be it for me. I do know Tai Chi and never thought of adding that to this. For now though I am going to start out small and follow the DVD and try to meditate after that. If I don't do all of that I will do part of it. I think tonight I will do quite a bit of breathing of the universe one.

happy holidays!
cheers~
Scoots~*

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved