Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hey everyone. I looked through the forum but couldn't find a discussion on PhotoReading a dictionary or encyclopedia. Has anyone been successful doing this? And if so how did you handle the 20-25 keywords along with the rapidreading and dipping? And what's the best way to go about this PR'ing these kind of books?

Thanks,

I think Hando311 is asking how you activate the dictionary.

Not why it's in the course.
I have the same question. I have a goal (lofty as it may be) to memorize the entire dictionary. Or at least become good enough at PRing to flip through it a few times and be able to mind probe the definition for any word.

Hando I would say just keep using the system on other books until you get a good grasp of the system. Then when you're an intermediate level PReader, your intuition will tell you how to activate the dictionary.

Hando311 for me the best way is to just play with photoreading everyday in not look for results. Work on your eye relaxation , then things will start popping up in your mind that will make you ask yourself how did I know that.

OP Offline

Thanks everyone for the replies but your answers aren't really specific to my questions. By saying that I should PR a dictionary or encyclopedia like every other book are you saying that I should be pulling out 25-35 keywords every few pages like I do when I photoread other books? What if my purpose in PR a dictionary is simply to increase my vocab or too simply saturate my brain with information? And that activating stays the same as well? How would one go about mindmapping a dictionary? Or is this skipped? How about rapid reading and dipping? Thanks!

I recommend you acquire of copy of 'Roget's International Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases'

A 1928 copy, revised and amended by C.O. Sylvester Mawson.

It smartly well classifies by key words in trees the English Language entire with quotes and phraseology.

Hando311,

Your question is sort of like if someone were to just sit down one day and read a dictionary. Now you want to apply the photoreading techniques to it, which is fine, but how often do people just sit there reading a dictionary? Not often,

Instead, what they do is they look up words they want to know after coming across them.

What photoreading will do is enable you to identify words when you come across them.

If you want to activate, don't bother with trigger words as there's no main plot or theme. It's all just words.

Just super read and dip, skitter, and rapid read.

Learning Strategies Admin

Hando311 it depends on your purpose. Do you really want or need to know the 185,000 words in the English language? Or are you just trying to learn another language?

Same with the encyclopaedia. do you intend to participate in some sort of contest. Then your activation would depend upon the types of questions you think you might be expected to answer.you wouldn't consciously need all the information in an encyclopaedia, nor would you consciously need all the words in the dictionary. Consider your purpose, how do you plan to use the information?

AlexK

okay, so if the purpose for pr the dictionary is to learn a new language then how would one define ones goal and which of the steps would be used to reach that specific goal?

One doesn't learn a language from a dictionary. It's a reference book. To learn a language focus on the rest of the course material for your purpose and PhotoRead the dictionary as an aid to learning. Play the dictionary game if you desire. Think of a word and guess it's position in the book.

AlexK

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved