Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71447 04/08/09 02:20 PM
Col Offline OP
OP Offline

Feel free to edit - new to forum. May be too much detail...
Hi, currently focusing on Level 1 (I have all 3). Moved into a 1976 home in Nov 2007. Do know the mountain is NW1. Neighbor is on SW side of home - to the right if you are looking out the back door.

They have two large, guard-type dogs. One has documented "behavioral issues", apparent when you see the dog. There is a cyclone fence between the yards, but that wont stop them if they really want to come over, plus seeing = barking. We cant go outside at all without extreme barking sessions. They bark at us IN our house thru our windows. They even bark at leaves.

Wife, urged us for months to tell her if dogs ever got to be too much. We hesitated, since we had a "feeling" about the husbands reaction if we did. Finally did approach her. Decent conversation about improving the situation. She'd keep them quiet later at night, and (I suggested) we'd come over to their yard with her there, so dogs could get to know us. All agreed.

Instead... well we were right about him... a week later, husband put up flourescent no-trespassing and beware-of-dog signs along our back yard. Wife had always been friendly, husband not really. We never approached them again. Dogs got worse, if she isnt there. Husb. lets them go for hours even if it is very cold out. Other neighbors have approached us, told us they feel the same as we do but they never approached them.

A few months went by and 3 of the 4 signs were suddenly torn down. Think she did it. Two weeks later bigger metal signs were bolted into their trees. All without any additional interaction from us.

Tried still salt water noticed some help for general boredom barking, but not if they see someone.

The cyclone fence is not enough - we really cant have people over or children, etc. We would like to put a 6 or 7 foot wooden fence along that side only. We realize that they dont react to noise much but react strongly to movement. Some arbor vitae may also help with noise reduction since they bark at anything out front (even neighbors lit Christmas nativity, seriously :o).

Thank you for your assistance!
Peace

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Col,

You could put on along the left of your house, the "dragon" side of your landscape feng shui.

On a side note, have you ever checked out the "Super Bark Stop" or something similar?
I knew they had something out there like this, but hadn't looked for them until your post. Your local pet store may have them or you can find them on the net. I'd ask questions regarding distance of effectiveness, satisfaction guaranty,etc. Looks like you can put a battery in it and attach it to your tree high enough to clear the fence, facing the neighbors.

Maybe your other neighbors would want to chip in if it works!

Quote:
Reviews
by SARA from KENNEWICK, WA Date Added: 04/20/2007
We live in the city with neighbors behind us with two very vocal dogs and neighbors beside us with a VERY vocal beagle. My husband and I were going crazy with all the barking from each neighbor. Many times yelling for the dogs to shut up out of our kitchen window and at 2 in the morning walking to the neighbors house to tell them to control their dogs barking. We talked about moving as well. I purchased two of these bark control devices and I will tell you they are heaven sent! I had not even set my first one up yet, but was just carrying it in my arms and my back neighbors dogs (like always) greeted me at the fence. The bark control went off and they high-tailed it to the other end of their yard!I just had to chuckle and show my husband. Now we can enjoy our own back yard and sleep in peace and quiet!!!!

Much Love, Shawn

Col Offline OP
OP Offline

Fence is going in as I write this!! - we've waited a year and a half so hope this will do the trick. We know it will help - what they dont see they dont bark at. Plus we needed some Dragon energy over there, we were very exposed.

And yes, those bark things did help with the older dog, but the newer dog (with behavioral issues) got worse around it. She couldnt figure it out. We also werent sure if that was a "high path" approach so were hesitant to try it again. Now that it's a little older, worth giving it another try.

Thanks again!

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved