Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71885 05/05/09 07:17 AM
OP Offline

Hello again!

I have a little stupid question about skittering: I understand the concept of this activation technique, but there are things that bother me.
-As I understood you have to do it on every paragraph(cause the first sentence doesn't always explain the meaning of the whole paragraph), but isn't that really close to speed reading, where you have to rapidly move your eyes?
-And another thing: when i do the PR step i rely on my intuition, that should guide me to the right answer. But what's the point of it, if I am skittering through every paragraph

Thanks for reading my post!

Best wishes,
AndriDem

Learning Strategies Admin

You Rhymically Peruse the first sentence. Which is closer to traditional reading.

The only time I read the first sentence is when I'm dealing with academic material or textbooks. Otherwise I just skitter the whole paragraph.

No, skittering is not like speed reading.

Why are you using skittering if you want to use your intuition to take you to the right answer? Superread.

AlexK

OP Offline

Thanks for your time Alex!

I will formulate my question differently: Isn't skittering about " Rhytmically Peruse the first sentence and then rapidly moving your eyes through the rest of the paragraph"? If we do this activation method on every paragraph, what is the point of Photoreading the book? For example, after the Photoreading step we SR and dip using our intuition, so we are using definetly our subconscious mind. But what are we using when we are skittering? Won't we get the same result without photoreaing?

Sorry for those stupid questions, but I really need to know this!

Best wishes,
AndriDem

Rhythmical perusal is another reading technique. Check page 58 of the PhotoReading book 4th edition. See example page 59 bottom what you are looking at when you rhythmically peruse.

AlexK

OP Offline

No, that is not what i ment))

Ok, i will formulate differently: Do we need really to Photoread a book if our activation technique is "skittering"?

After the Photoreading step we SR and dip using our intuition, so we are using definetly our subconscious mind. But what are we using when we are skittering? Won't we get the same result without photoreading the book?

Originally Posted By: AndriDem
No, that is not what i ment))

Ok, i will formulate differently: Do we need really to Photoread a book if our activation technique is "skittering"?

After the Photoreading step we SR and dip using our intuition, so we are using definetly our subconscious mind. But what are we using when we are skittering? Won't we get the same result without photoreading the book?

Not necessarily. Try it and see.

Skittering is really worthwhile for academic books and textbooks. After PhotoReading. Superreading can be too fast to really get what you need from academic material and textbooks.

AlexK

From my view, if I want to get more information out of a book than super reading and dipping would provide, but I want to move at an even faster pace than rapid reading, I'll skitter. It's kind of an intermediate activation step, if you will. So if you need a little bit of really specific information, super read and dip. If you need most of the book, then rapid read. If you need anything between those two lines, skitter.

~NeverSpeak

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved