Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#73368 08/09/09 09:56 PM
Stevers Offline OP
OP Offline

All,

Again the question: What am I willing to give up to be successful?

Yesterday I made a commitment to give up watching DVD films on a regular basis. Although I truly enjoy movies, I have also been aware that it is another kind of entertainment (like monitoring internet sports) that doesn't require the caliber of engagement that I want in my life. It takes a particular quality of film to bring out the kind of high level investment of attention that I find most nourishing, and entertainment alone, particularly when it doesn't require me to be actively involved, rarely gives me that sense of full engagement. It's time to make space for something else that does.

My commitment is to watch no more than one film a week, for the next month. I will report back in mid-September with what I notice over that time span.

I have been contemplating what it means to me to simplify my life. Although, by most people's standards (at least relative to the "average" American) I live simply, I am aware of how many of my activities are not only non-essential, but also distracting or else not all that enriching. Giving Up those things definitely is freeing up extra energy to manifest new possibilities for my life.

The paradox has been that I am observing new and fantastic layers of complexity rise to the surface as I let go of the inessential thoughts, behaviors, and activities that once kept me occupied but not truly "engaged". I am reminded of a quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes:

"I would not give a fig for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity."

I have a mind that thrives on nuance and complexity, but a heart that craves the simplicity of full engagement with life as it occurs. Giving up, for me, entails letting go of anything that doesn't nourish both my heart and mind. Following Inner Guidance via the process of ASKING, seems to be bringing a greater congruence to my actions and activities, and Giving Up has been absolutely essential to make space for truly life-giving energies to rush in.

So, what will you give up next? All players come forward!

Stevers

Stevers #73374 08/10/09 12:12 PM
Col Offline

Hi all,
I am finishing my week 1 of giving up (less internet, TV) and overall busy-ness (that is not goal-oriented). I have committed to these for August in create new a "new habit".

Successes: I am definitely spending much less time online and with email. Watching TV as well, however, that is more difficult as my husband and I had both gotten into that habit together. But overall, we have spent much more time outside, talking, connecting, and discussing what I have been experiencing with Sedona, etc.

I am also listening to my Paraliminals, reviewing ES and continuing with Sedona again. During vacation (and after), I had gotten away from all of it and restarted the habits of TV, and avoiding my goals.

Challenges: I have found myself not getting back into my newly formed habits of daily exercise and doing my ES daily disciplines since vacation. I am very organized and a great planner in many ways but NOT when it comes to doing something for ME. Everything comes before that, always has.

Then when I have no energy left for ME at the end of the day, I tell myself I'll get up extra early "tomorrow". And then I oversleep or wake up to a message telling me I need to go into work early, or some other filler. Amazing how the universe complies with our subconscious agendas. The fact that I am not a person who likes a lot of routine also doesnt help - I have trouble remembering to take vitamins every night and morning, that sort of thing. Hmm, is it th eroutine or because it is for me?

So this week (and onward), I give up not keeping promises to myself. And the need to put myself last.
This includes:
Creating well-defined space DAILY for me to do at least 15 minutes of journaling, 30 minutes of exercise, and 30-60 minutes of action toward one of my ES goals. Not vacuum, do the laundry, start painting the guest room, or anything else!

I've restarted doing paraliminals as I wake up and I listen to anything else while driving so I am pretty efficient then at least! I will also get back into the habit of listening to the paraliminals as I fall asleep, I felt I got more layers of meaning from them during sleep - so again, increased efficiency.

I also will reread some older posts on daily disciplines, tips on how others got through rough patches on this topic, etc. I do remember it being a common problem, it just hadn't affected me very much till now.

Onward and upward! Colleen

Col #73381 08/10/09 08:11 PM

Hi all
After giving UP unproductive busy-ness last week, I have had major breakthru's , and understandings. Without going into great detail- I will just say it has produced major growth for me, and really simplified my life. From this experience, the next step for me is to commit to doing an Evening Review- every night. I realize that this is not a giving Up - unless I look at it like I'm giving UP thinking that the evening review isn't important... a matter of semantics...

I can now see that the majority of my actions were holding me back, creating a smoke screen and preventing me from seeing and understanding what would bring me success. The Evening Review will help me focus on what actions I took, what intuitions I followed, where I can be better next time.

One of the realizations I had last week, is that my busy-ness was keeping me from acknowledging the creative side of myself. My artificial 'productiveness' left no time for creativity. So, from last weeks, challenge, I commit to taking a 2-3 hour block of time each week to engage in extremely non-productive play & exploration - to immerse myself in all the joy I can find. I will schedule this the same as I would any other appointment, and regard it an extremely high priority activity.

So, to continue on with the challenge, I will be conscious of whether my activities move me forward, or just keep me busy. If they feel good- they move me forward- if they feel draining, they are. I will schedule weekly 'play dates' with myself, and continue to allow my creativity to emerge, to see where that takes me. And starting today, I will spend 15-20 minutes journaling an Evening Review, focusing on my breakthru's , synchronicities, opportunities and challenges that occurred during the day, and whether I took advantage of them, or chose to let them pass.

Brenda

Brendann #73385 08/10/09 09:43 PM

Hi all,

What am I willing to give up to be successful?
I am going to have to get back to you on this one. I need time to decide .

Thanks,

Growing With You!
Successful
Brendann #73386 08/10/09 09:49 PM

I've given up being obnoxious to Jehovah's witnesses, and throwing scripture back in their faces. I mean, it's like shooting fish in a barrel! One came round tonight - nice chap - but I kind of felt bad after he'd gone. So, I'm going to make a commitment to accept all religions and belief systems, however deluded and insane.

Inchiki

I see that being open minded is not one of your strengths- perhaps you would want to consider giving UP judgement of others? This would allow you to get the attention you crave, without inviting anger.

Brenda

Brendann #73391 08/11/09 08:10 AM

We implicitly judge people as this is part of life.

Brendann #73392 08/11/09 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Brendann
Inchiki

I see that being open minded is not one of your strengths- perhaps you would want to consider giving UP judgement of others? This would allow you to get the attention you crave, without inviting anger.

Brenda

Hi Brenda. How are you?

Yeah, you're right about that.

However, surely the fact that you're answering my post, and with a little back-handed insult (water off a duck's back, by the way) marks you out as someone who needs to judge.

OK, we can get all New Agey and Hale Dwoskin, and talk about 'approval' and 'security' and all the main 'wants' behind our actions, if you like...but wait.., isn't your post motivated by a need to 'control', as is the anger I invited, in you?

Seems we're all guilty, dearie. \:\/

Rule number 6, dear, rule number 6!

"Seems we're all guilty, dearie. \:\/

Rule number 6, dear, rule number 6!"

Well- we are all human- I think..

You keep referring to rule #6- what would that be?

Brenda

Stevers #73396 08/11/09 03:10 PM

This from Stevers: I am reminded of a quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes: "I would not give a fig for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity."

Wow! I really like this quote. The clever language stopped my mind from its habit of skimming [and then believing the content - or impact - was truly taken in].

So ... the question of what am I willing to give up. I must admit a tremendous sense of resistance to this question. I notice lots of scurrying around in my head ... thoughts that campaign for aspects of how I spend my time. I don't think I can really bring the essence on page, but take my word ... it's quite amusing. \:\/

Recently someone told me that a brick wall [one finds they have come up against - or hit] is actually ledge [to jump off of]. I've been playing with that image - I'm a visual kind of gal - so with this question - that truly feels more like a challenge to my mind - I decided to find the place that feels like a wall in my life. The conclusion I came to is ...

I will give up my eating as soon as I walk in the door at the end of a long day habit for the next 2 1/2 weeks.

I am not allowing my mind to quickly fill in this time with all sorts of good ideas about what I can do instead. I will simply see what happens ... and report back on the last weekend of August.

Well folks, this is most definitely a ledge ... just making the commitment has me feeling like I'm in a 'free fall'!

Thanks for the challenge - er ... I mean question - Stevers!

Jense

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved