Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73621 09/08/09 10:52 PM
Beavers Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone,

A bit new to photoreading, but having some seriously good results already. My concern is the relaxed state. I know the difference between alpha and theta and beta and all that, so using those terms would be great. Im having a lot of trouble staying in state and getting in deep enough. I can get a little bit relaxed, but I seem to revert back to beta once I begin to activate.

And concerning activation, Ive been using Mind Maps. What is the best way though, just like taking notes as I go? Or activating everything then writing it all down so it becomes hardwired in my brain?

Thanks,

Oliver

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

PhotoReading isn't a deep state. Once you're familiar with it you'll recognise the Zone. If you follow the steps like a recipe you'll get into the correct state.

Asking questions is the best way to activate. Mind mapping is a good tool but if you want to make what you read yours ask questions that you find answers to from the book.

AlexK

Beavers Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank alex, appreciate it. Ive gotten the hang of it better, its helping a lot with my schoolwork. Heres a question though, what if its a book I dont particularly want to read (textbook) and dont exactly know what questions to ask? And also, Ive photoread the dictionary a few times, do I just do it everyday and my vocab will get better? Or is there some way I need to activate it? Thats a lot of words to activate.

I understand the process of activation, but I dont quite get what Im supposed to be getting out of it that I couldnt be if I just skimmed it? Care to shed some light?

Much appreciated.

ked Offline

For me (and I'm not as experienced as some), but the best way to read textbooks is to do a few passes first and get to know the material. I know asking questions right away is best, but like you I sometimes don't know where to begin. So I will do a pass or two and immediately the gaps in my knowledge will become apparent, which leads to questions. Once you've formulated the questions, it's amazing how Superreading will allow you to zero in on the answers in no time.

I think the difference between activating and skimming is 1) you have photoread before so your subconscious mind is already exposed to it (which you start to notice, the more and more you use the system and 2) multiple passes helps you absorb the material in a way skimming never did for me. You'll notice that if you do multiple passes (which at first seem like skimming), you'll eventually "gel" the material and be surprised at how easy it comes to you and how well you know it -- feelings I never got while skimming.

As someone who has struggled to apply the system to academia for some time, I think the best advice is when Paul says "keep pushing through" (highly paraphrased haha) -- basically if it doesn't make sense the first pass, go back and get another look at it.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved