Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7055 01/01/04 04:56 AM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

I am having some trouble and I am hoping that somebody can give me some advice.

I try to visualize some of the goals that I am want to achieve, but for some reason I am having trouble seeing them. It's like I have some sort of mental block against it and I can't see myself being successful. The paraliminals have helped some, but I am still having trouble.

Can anyone recommend any visualization techniques to get around mental blocks like this? I am considering the Silva Method, but it sounds a little too New Age for me.

#7056 01/01/04 08:32 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Actually when it comes to goals it's not the visualisation we have to get right. It doesn't show up exactly how we visualise it anyway.

It's the feeling that you expect to experience when you achieve the goal that you need to concentrate on. How will you feel when you reach the goal, generate that feeling, is it good enough can you expect to feel better a feeling higher than that? What would give you that feeling?

You still visualise the end goal (never visualise all the steps to get there - they definately are better off generalised. Only note areas where there is conflict and imagine / visualise a course of action that will overcome the conflict or barrier.)

For goals use all your senses, seeing, what you would see, hearing, what are you saying and what are they saying, and most importantly how you feel.

A good book on a method for developing goal visualisations is Silva Mind Mastery for the 90s - by Dr tag Powell and Dr judith Powell In it they explain a method call the Reel experience. Like making a movie reel of your goal focusing on each of the senses one at a time so in a sense you're replaying the goal 5 or more times in your mind. It doesn't have to be a lenghty process 5 minutes for a goal is often enough and once you've created it you only need to remember it.

That particular book covers Silva along side NLP so if you have little knowledge of NLP it's provides a brief look at it and how you can apply the functions. In the case of creating a "reel experience" it helps you to find the best eye location for triggering each of your senses. For visualisation your eyes tend to look upward, Left or right depending on whether you're recalling a visual image or creating one. By deliberately moving the eye into position you tend to trigger the brains response accordingly. Most of the time we do it without conscious knowledge anyway, just nice to come across a book that explains what we are doing.

Alex

#7057 01/01/04 10:29 PM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks a lot, AlexK.

I will give the Silva Method a try. I can't find it at any of the bookstores in my area, so I will probably have to get it off of Amazon.com.

Hoss

#7058 01/02/04 02:50 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Remember to try the local library. It might have made it onto the public library shelves.

Alex

#7059 01/03/04 03:39 AM

Alex,

I was glancing through this BB when I read your brief review of The Silva Method book. I then went to an on line book store (no advertising) read the review there also and bought the book, as background reading and also to "photoread" when it arrives.

Thanks for the advice.
Rgds,
Tom

#7060 01/06/04 10:53 PM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

AlexK,

Thanks for your advice. Is it useful for behavior modification? That is one of my goals.

#7061 01/07/04 07:33 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Yes. Only limited by our imagination how we use any technique. That's why we like to share on the forum someone might have an idea we hadn't thought of

Alex

#7062 01/07/04 08:39 AM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

That's my main problem. I know the kind of qualities that I want to develope in myself, but I just can't experience them in my mind. It seems like I have some sort of mental block. Is the book helpful in overcoming this sort of thing? Also, how has it helped you?

Thanks again for the advice.

[This message has been edited by Hoss (edited January 07, 2004).]

#7063 01/07/04 09:01 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Made me a survivor, knowing the Silva method. Looooonnng story, I'll save you that.

Even with the Silva method you look toward and people who have the skill you wish to develop, then imagine what it would feel like if you had those skills. You don't worry if the imagination has it 100% right (it won't have) chances are there are benefits you haven't thought of.

If you got the genius Code course then use the modeling technique from that along with the information in the book.

The 'reel' experience helps you to build what it would feel like if you had the qualities you're after you don't need it set from the first layer.

Go easy on yourself... remember wanting something keeps pushing it away from you instead imagine what it would be like if you had it... even if you don't know what the feeling really is.

Alex

#7064 01/07/04 09:14 AM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks a lot, AlexK.

There are a few, rare occasions when I can experience it vaguely, but my mind does not seem to accept it. I have had a lot of negative events in the past having to do with a social phobia. These things really affected my self-image and it is very difficult to see myself in a more positive way. Paraliminals do seem to help, but they have only taken me so far.

You make a very good point about the effects of wanting something too much. Wanting implies a lack of having because nobody wants the things they already have. If you are trying to accomplish something more difficult, it can lead to frustration and a lack of motivation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved