Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ked Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all --

I certainly realize the benefits of 5 minute breaks between activation passes, because when I don't take them I always get tired of the material and stop studying as long as I need to. I'm a law student, so I have to study for several hours at a day each day.

In my 2nd year of law school (which is less intense than the 1st), I'm finding trouble motivating myself to do all the reading. The first year was "easier" in one sense because you had no time to do anything but read. This year I have leisure time, but would like to get my work done efficiently so I can enjoy the leisure time w/o stressing.

I know the solution is to take more regular breaks during my activation passes so that I don't get bored (which leads to losing my motivation), but I'm having trouble finding things that I can do during the "break" which don't bore me.

***What do other people do for their 5-minute break when they have a lot of reading to do?

I know that this may sound like a strange question, but what I do in my free time or for fun does not involve any five-minute activities -- except for browsing the internet, which I find distracting and a waste of time.

Any advice/suggestions for what to do to clear the mind and be motivated to read/mind map for several hours? I don't find that walking around for five minutes does much good. I'm also limited to things I can do on campus (leaving the library every 20-30 minutes is inefficient and requires me to pack up my belongings).

(Note: I know that the photoreading system recommends no more than 4 hours of reading at a time, but I'm not ever doing that much because I break up studying with mindmapping, meals and attending classes -- achieving 3-4 hours straight of studying would be an accomplishment for me.)

go outside for fresh air

or making a tea or coffee or making smoothie of fruit

then come back carry on.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Stand up stretch, do some cross crawls (particularly helpful if you are getting bogged down.) Cut up an apple to chew while studying (chewing brings oxygen to the brain and helps the learning process) Or unwrap sugar free gum. Refill your water glass. Pat the cat, take a fluid adjustment break, toss the ball for the dog, get the meat out of the freezer for dinner, get your mail from the letter box (sort through it the next break).

Anything that just gets you out of the seat for a few minutes is enough, the 5 minute break doesn't need to be a full 5 minutes and surprisingly enough most of the examples will take at least 2 or 3 minutes. When you sit down again and review you might still be on the break however you've changed your state. Taken time to check that you are still on track to your goal / desired outcome.

AlexK

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved