Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73850 10/04/09 09:43 PM
Sheryll Offline OP
OP Offline

I understand how to set and measure behavioral goals. But for me, all of my goals right now are internal. For example, I love it when I am full or gratitude for everything in my life. I know that is where it is all at. I don't have the "desire" to exercise daily at this point. Hopefully this will flow naturally out of a more positive internal state.

Right now... I deeply desire a more permanent shift in my belief system, which is improving all the time.

I think what I am trying to say is that I don't feel "ready" yet to commit to anything much externally, but deeply committed internally.

I am worried that I am just rationalizing my old patterns of procrastination and laziness. For now, I am going to totally embrace them, because my goal orientation is what made me "sick" in the first place!

Any thoughts?

Imagine all the people...

Hello Sheryll,
What an interesting post.
I thought I would share a couple of thoughts with you. I totally understand your love of comfortable internal states. ES still manages to inspire me to experiencing high and consistent levels of internal joy and bliss. The ability to experience much more pleasure, joy, bliss and all manner of good emotions is a side effect for me when I indulge or treat myself to living internally in ES mode.
The contrasts I felt emotionally when I interacted with the external world were not always blissful and joyful - in fact they were often downright unpleasant and felt like I was off-track ESwise.
For me now this is a bit like inhabiting two different worlds, the happy, joyful space when I am alone and working privately (you call this internally) on myself. Then there is the unpredictable rough and tumble of interaction with the external world.
Over time I have come to realise that I make most progress when I allow the external world to expose me to a variety of experiences. I try to become conscious of myself in negative situations and release all the bad thoughts, emotions and body-stuff. And I try to rejoice in the good stuff the world delivers and to pat myself on the back for making ES work for me.

Finally, I recognise the dichotomy between internal and external which you so aptly label as having the 'desire' to do something or having a feeling of 'readiness'. In my view, this is the point when we become conscious of the need or rightness to make some change or improvement in lifestyle, attitude, whatever.... I believe it is my true self informing me that change would be a step in the right direction..... however acting on this impulse or knowingness can sometimes find me lacking in discipline.
I hope this makes some sense to someone other than me.
Let us know when the urge to commit to change externally finally moves you to taking action! The learning experience may not be blissful but it will be insightful, I'm sure.
Adieu,
French Claire

When do you think you will have the desire to work externally. Have you wrote out a clear plan.Tell me more details.

CPW1 #73956 10/14/09 05:17 AM

You might find it interesting to read a book called "Changing For Good" by James Prochaska. He expounds on six stages that successfull self-changers go through. The first he calls 'Precontemplation' and equates to 'not ready' for change. The second one is 'Contemplation'-when you are giving it some real consideration and developing the desire to make a change. The third stage is 'Preparation.' In this stage you are still working on ideas - what change you want to see, what you will have to do to make the change, what you will have to give up in order to make your change, how will cope with the hazards you identify as being part of your change, etc. It isn't until stage four that you get into 'Action.' People that go through all the earlier stages are much more likely to be successful at getting through to the fifth 'Maintenance' and sixth 'Resolution' stages than those who jump right into action.
So I congratulate you and support you whole-heartedly on not only recognizing where you are, but being patient with yourself -not pushing yourself forward until you are truly prepared to do so. May I express my confidence in you. You truly know yourself and will know when you are ready. And by following the promptings of that inner guide, you will surely be successful in those things that matter most.
May you create peace and joy in your days.
Margaret Ida

Paul McKenna in his book entitled "Instant Confidence" recommends people to spring into action as early as possible to change the dynamics around them. No action... no dynamics... same old stuff. He reminds that having all the elements for a plan is not as important as taking action.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved