Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Dear all
A few weeks ago I started the level 1 course. I am overjoyed with it, and consider myself very lucky to have been introduced to it. Thanks to Master Chunyi and Learning Strat. and all the rest that help spread this beautiful gift.

Here's my problem. Every time I practice the Active exercises I get a chest pain that lasts for a day or two.

I'm 40 years old, Kg62, in good health and try to eat as healthily as possible. I used to get the same pain after doing 7 mins of sun gazing (about 1 year ago). Back then I figured it might be an energy blockage. I also get this pain if I get very worried about something so I was a bit disappointed after getting the pain after the active exercise. The active exercise should help clear blockages. I can feel the energy very strongly as I had also completed level 1 course in Pranic Healing (about 2yrs ago). If I don't practice the active exercises and just do the meditations then I'm fine. Does anyone have any clues to what the reason could be. Master Chunyi says that some people with arthritis may feel some pain, but I never suffered from arthritis so far. I would really like to find out what I'm doing wrong because I love doing the active exercises as much as the meditations.

Love to all
Colin

OP Offline

Sorry, forgot to mention, the pain is in the centre of my chest (the heart area).
Thanks

Hi Colin,
Some considerations:

Don't attach the idea of experiencing pain to your exercises, or having a blockage , a self aware state, or anything. Pain can be something opening, pain can be a blessing of healing, pain can mark a boundary to work with and transform.

Approach each session completely neutral, no history, no future, just the present moment and staying focused on the focus's given. 'No thinking' around that , that is not supportive, constructive or useful. That is simple to say, a lot to accomplish. Don't look for pain or expect pain.

In SFQ, you start out by building the lower dan tian and building up kidney energy. This is an important foundation for higher center development or opening. Even in higher levels of SFQ, you spend significant time in the lower dan tian. Your higher center development is directly related to your lower center foundational energy. The stronger your lower foundational centers, the more wisdom you can receive or hold, the more healing power and love you can channel to help others. Just developing, say the brain(sun gazing?), is not as good as developing the lower dan tian relative to 'then' developing a higher center like the brain or third eye. If I had one sense of stressing something, it would be for you to focus more on your lower dan tian. Especially relative to experiencing pain , or any past practices that didn't develop that ground/foundation. See if you can make your focus stronger, seeing your lower dan tian very bright in response to discomfort. Develop that focus. See if you can sort of absorb all else in that lower focus. Sink the energy down. Whatever the energy experience is. Feed it all to your lower dan tian.
You can repeat, " universal energy to my lower dan tian", with each breath to help you stay focused. No rush, slow it down. You could repeat, " universal energy and divine light to my lower dan tian", and see that additional light come in. Again, slow everything down, sink the energy, or your sense of energy within your body/feelings. Heart is feeling, it is heart height, thinking is head/head height. Most of the time we feel and think. Your response to your active is feel and think. Try sinking the energy and focusing there. Apply visualization( very bright), sound, ohm, or repeating as I said,,, communicate with the lower dan tian, to help you build foundational energy to help your heart center opening.

Reapproach doing active. One of many possible approaches: A minimal set could be bouncing, just the starting standing position with passwords, stand, just breathing into the lower dan tian, then harvest qi. This can be a very nice set, if you stand a bit. Standing can be very powerful and grand. You stand at the beginning of creation. As long as you breath into your lower dan tian, you accomplish good foundational work. From there,as you progress, you could add just one exercise from level I. Try different ones, alone for your whole session. If you are more sensitive to one, that is probably the best one for you. Again, pain can be opening, not necessarily blockage. A center developing..
Active exercise is like walking. Let's say my heart is weak, or I have hypertension, or any physical heart issue. Active exercise, done with common sense, just like walking, is good for the heart. You wouldn't stay away from active exercise, or walking, due to a weak physical heart either. In general, if I did have physical heart issues,I might just change my hands to being more palm down, again, to lower energy, direct energy down. I might spiral/pat energy into my heart here and there with my palm like in level II, to feed my heart, calm down my energy if I am feeling some fatigue or tension there,,,putting in a message too. Anxiety sort of rises too. Again, lowering, calming , slowing down, focusing down. Anxiety effects the stomach system, the stomach can swell and create pressure on the spine as well as the heart. Feed it all to that lower caldron.

No matter what goes on for you, heart center opening, or heart blockage, active exercise is an essential ingredient to self healing and transformational growth. Engage with it, try different combos. Baby steps if necessary, a few minutes, build on it. Don't back off when experience happens, engage and work with that energy. Learn level II at some point too. MOre tools, more perspectives to know and apply, more self confidence to be gained.

Again, my overall sense is that you would benefit from lower dan tian focus, body focus, active. That is my main response to you. Relative to what you experience, and where you are coming from. love, gallen

OP Offline

Dear Gallen
Just to let you know what happened. I stopped practicing the active exercise for quite a while and just did the meditations.
When the pain had gone for quite some time I started again slowly as you suggested and focused much more on the lower dan tian as you suggested. I also adopted the attitude that should the pain return it was going to be good for me (as in it being healing pain). I was actually looking forward to it. I have not had the pain since I started again. I've now been practicing daily for some weeks with absolutely no chest or other pain.
Thanks for caring and answering in such a detailed way.
Colin

Colin,
Very happy to hear your self practice is going well. Interesting for me to see what I wrote back in October! There 'are' some underlying consistencies or truths to a qigong practice, and also, many possible ways, creative ways with the practice as given, to progress through seeming roadblocks.
I don't have a sense of how the pychology of your thinking came into play, although I would still say that any anticipation, good or bad, is extra energy you don't need. I realize you just are sort of moving past this,,,reflection is useful. Going forward, really let this all go and give yourself to the practice focus's, minus any story surrounding it. We sometimes tend to think of extra energy as just relative to physical blockages, not something like anticipation.
Although one can start , I believe, in level II, which moves more focus to the heart level, beginning with level I, and moving on to level II, has a nice grounded progression to it.
Love,
Gallen

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved