Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeanne Offline OP
OP Offline

Really sad events in Sedona: Two dead and 19 taken to hospital after falling ill in 'sweatbox' at Arizona spiritual retreat

Evidently, this was being run by James Arthur Ray.

Yes, and it makes you wonder how safe these "cleansing" process are for certain people! I am sure there is no maliciousness from any party, but two people died. Is this another example of the LOA?

What exactly happened.

Jeanne Offline OP
OP Offline

Nobody seems to be sure about that. However, this morning the national news had a headline saying the deaths were being ruled HOMICIDES. Very strange.

Also a stark reminder to choose your gurus carefully, if you use them at all. Some clues I got in viewing the pictures of the place where it happened--a yin-yang symbol on a teepee. NOT a Native American symbol, so not very likely an authentic sweat. Also, just from the pictures with the story, it really doesn't look like a well-kept site. If they're careless about the grounds, it's possible that they're careless about far more important things.

Not to make light of the tragic events, but honestly--$9,000 for a sweat? Come visit me in Oklahoma in the summer (in August, typically lots of days over 100). You can warm yourself up for a lot less! ;\)

Last I heard, a few are still in hospital. Healing thoughts being sent in that direction.

UniqueSoul: Indeed, everything actually IS subject to the LOA.

Last edited by Jeanne; 10/16/09 04:00 PM. Reason: (left a word out)
Jeanne Offline OP
OP Offline

More on this strange story here . Also, he made a conference call to all (living, presumably) attendees, as described here . Some have suggested this could be considered witness-tampering...but I'm not an attorney, just an observers.

I read somewhere that Kirby Brown's family stated in interviews that she was very fit and competed in sporting events. So this looks interesting as there is probably little evidence of some pre-existing illness behind her death.

One of the articles reports that in similar events held previously, people fell ill. So it will be interesting see what caused the illness on other occasions.

I am not sure it was proper to state that people had passed away out of their own choice. During such tragic events any statement should be avoided until the investigations are over and formal conclusions are drawn.

OBE's are safe as people always "come back into their bodies using a connection to a virtual umbelic cord".

Jeanne Offline OP
OP Offline

I've been looking for a complete transcript of that call, but so far haven't found it posted anywhere. No doubt it will turn up at some point. I don't think Ray et al did themselves any favors with that call. The families of the deceased will not likely take much comfort in some of the things said reported in this article.

Do you have any of Ray's books? What is your take on this guy? From these stories, I'm not terribly impressed--but then, media reports can be misleading, too.

I have the Millionaire's Gift, which I bought about an year ago from LSC because it came at a huge discount. I found most of his teachings no more than repetitions of what other people had said before. He also comes across too strongly for my likings.

I believe that in cases of tragic events, all the parties, who can have potential legal liabilities, should do nothing apart from collaborating with the investigators. Supposedly Ray has hired his own investigators to collaborate with official ones.

Anybody like Ray who gets involved in a mess like this, unless the enquiry fully clears him of all liabilities, is not a person I am interested in listening to. We are definitely not short in "teachers" about New Age subjects!

This might destroy his career as a self help guru. Perhaps it's for the best if doesn't know what he is doing.

This not only put him in a bad light, but also The Secret.

Jeanne Offline OP
OP Offline

According to this article , there's now a third death. Very sad.

UniqueSoul, I agree with you--I would look at anything he says with a little skepticism after this, especially since people were reportedly ill in previous incidents. You know, it's just common sense that when people become ill at an event like this, you should really investigate WHY.

Bjhn, I agree this could destroy his career, OR it might be the wakeup call that brings a positive transformation--depending on how he handles it all.

That conference call he made, though, could look very bad in court. Lawsuits will almost certainly ensue, and that transcript will likely play a big part.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved