Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7137 01/15/04 04:08 AM
Kaiden Offline OP
OP Offline

I was wondering why I had only limited success with the Get Around To It paraliminal tape, when I came across this article on the root causes of autistic inertia.

I believe that "stuck states" and autistic inertia have very much in common, in that "stuck states" have nothing to do with lack of desire, so much as they are due to lack of skill/strategy. I've noticed that the most changes I've made in life were the times I was listening to Natural Brilliance on a regular basis. Now, many of these changes were dysfunctional and ultimately self-harming, but they were changes.

There are many things that mimic lazyness or procrastination, but are actually different strategies for not doing things. In addition to autism, there is also ADD, OCD, chronic fatigue, depression, bipolar disorder, and a host of other disorders and disabilities that can sap one's "get up and go."

In conclusion, I'd suggest that if Get Around To It just isn't working like it should be, then the problem is not procrastination, but rather something else entirely.

Hope this helps.

zak Offline

i myself has limited success with get around to it, and the article you posted seem to strike a chord with me, will be looking to implement the strategies outlind in the article to my life, by the way dont feel i am autistic but have suffered from depression, can you have inertia without autism, would love to hear your views

Kaiden Offline OP
OP Offline

Given the life experiences of many autistics, I would wonder if you could have high-functioning autism without being clincally depressed and/or post-traumatically stressed.

Depression is definately a will-sapping thing. It easily creates feelings of overwhelm when it comes to larger tasks, or even some small, routine tasks. One of the reasons 12-step groups use the slogan "one day at a time" is that routine activities can seem overwhelming when they're given a time-scale unbounded by limits other than death. E.g., brushing one's teeth... twice a day... every day... for the rest of your life.

Hi,

I read the article - interesting isn't it. I could see myself in some of the examples. I am sure many of us could.

However, given that "Get Around To It" focuses on the results you achieve; The questions I ask are these.
Are you getting the results you want?
Are your expectations too high?
Are your achievements within your easy reach?

I would go for "Easy Wins" first. Build up your "achievements" but start small. If it is to do with brushing your teeth before bed then "get around to it". Don't fly into relms of fantasy of "Oh God, what ... for the rest of my life...." You will probably end up saying " well how long will that be..."

The only thing you can do is to decide what to do with the time that is given to you. If you want to sit and twiddle your thumbs and worry about the ifs and buts then go ahead.

OR

You could say to yourself: Ok I may have been labelled with ADD, OCD etc but what can I achieve that will make me feel good.

Baby steps to start with will be good, whilst ignoring "labels that disempower" or give us a reason to "not" do something.

Do Something - achieve something AND feel good about it. By getting involved this far you have shown that you are remarkable in your ability to achieve already.

Continue to achieve . . . . Small goals first, feel good, then larger goals later...

Hope this helps,
Tom

[This message has been edited by solutions-r-us (edited January 15, 2004).]

Get Around To It didn't really work that well for me, either.

I always felt the techniques involved amounted to trying to fool myself.

It appears to me that sometimes the approaches used in the paraliminals are trying to oversimplify things. Or perhaps trying to apply a lever using the wrong fulcrum.

This is a problem when using tapes vs. person-to-person interaction. I remember reading that Milton Erickson really didn't like the notion of selling hypnosis tapes, because he felt that everyone is their own model and their problems cannot be sufficiently handled with pre-packaged, standardized approaches.

But Kaiden, are you saying that you are not doing things because you are unable to do them? That there is some sort of physical ailment preventing you? That you're crippled in some way? Disadvantages can make things hard, but for a fairly normal, health person I don't think they generally make them impossible.

I know sometimes I am a bit ADD regarding some things. I get confused and muddle-headed, but this does not mean something is impossible for me. It just means that it's going to take some work. Sometimes I decide that the amount of work required isn't worth the result. Sometimes I decide to take a break and then hack at it some more later (which I do).

Kaiden Offline OP
OP Offline

I tend to avoid the term "impossible." Right now, it's difficult to explain, because I do tend to have a Satre-like conception of my own "essence," and right now I have a headache, which is a physical ailment which hinders my ability to do complex planning. I'm attempting to arrest completely my half-gallon a day habit of diet soda, which means today is the day for withdrawal symptoms.

Well, talking of ADD and such ... don't many diet drinks contain substances that are at least slightly neurotoxic?

I know that many drinks contain warnings for people who cannot process phenylalanine. Apparently the artificial sweeteners contain it or some derivative of it. Phenylalanine has stimulant properties and too much can certainly make one a bit scatterbrained.

Kaiden Offline OP
OP Offline

I develop tolorances very quickly and lethargic withdrawal symptoms just as fast when it comes to caffinated diet sodas. I am cutting down... way down. Right now, I'm drinking tomato juice. I actually "got around to" my dieting again. (I was having difficulty unlinking the act of calorie control with the structure of 12-Step programs).

Autists do tend to be highly alergic people. Some people believe that autism may be the result of an alergic reaction to certain foods and/or other environmental stressors. Restricting certian foods is very helpful in maintaining appropriate energy levels and alert states. So far, the best diet I've seen is NeanderThin. It naturally eliminates much of the foods that autists find difficult. It's also great for weight control.

[This message has been edited by Kaiden (edited January 23, 2004).]

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved