Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ked Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm in a bind where I have chosen to take a class that has turned out to be extraordinarily boring, useless, poorly taught and, at the same time, rife with information overload.

The professor assigns hundreds of pages in dense legal case readings each week and just understanding what the book (which is poorly written) is talking about is difficult in itself. I've found myself procrastinating because it is such an unenjoyable task to do the reading.

And yet I need to do well in this class as law school is about a GPA at the end of the day, unfortunately. Even though this class fulfills no personal or professional goals.

Have other people successfully overcome an extreme lack of interest in a certain reading and applied the PhotoReading system nonetheless?

I do multiple passes with a purpose of "I need this information to do well in this class, etc, etc" -- but the information just doesnt' gel like it usually does (that's an abbreviated purpose -- mine is much better in reality).

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

If you do not need this class then drop out of it. However, if it is a class you need, then you need to focus on the big picture which is getting your degree. Your photoreading will be helpful by suggesting to yourself that this information is important and will be useful to you, and that it is important for you to recall this information when you want or need it. And yes, you will need it to complete the class with a good grade. Just do it! In a short time it will be over and you will be on to other subjects you enjoy.
If you need to be taking this class, you can do this knowing that boring classes do not last forever.

Duane V

Hello there from a fellow PhotoReader. As an avid PhotoReader myself, I hope that these suggestions will serve you.

I love the "Four Powers of Greatness" program by LSC. The four powers are Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. It's all about communication. Now, when you are Reading an author's Writing, they are actually Speaking into your Listening. Have you had the pleasure of reading something really good and it was so wonderful that you could hear the author talking, or hear the characters speaking? Sure you have. The mind is always searching for meaning and creating powerful connections in a variety of ways.

Think of reading as a conversation. You meet some people that are REALLY interesting and intriguing people, and you could hang out with them for hours. You even want to be friends with them. Then there are other people who may be kinda dry and even a little boring. Bless them as they have something to say which may be of value, although they are not the most articulate people or not the most expressive writers. Writing is indeed an art!

I'm reminded of a line in the Desiderata which says, "...And listen to the dull and ignorant, they too have their stories to tell..."

So, that being said, do the "Thinking Caps" brain gym exercise. All you have to do is being to rub both of your ears, simultaneously, starting at the top and make your way down to the lobes. Then start again. Do this about 3-4 times. Give yourself a vigorous ear massage as this simple exercise stimulates the body and brain and sends electromagnetic energy throughout the body and brain, and it tunes up your listening for what the author has to say. You may even feel a warm tingling through your body. Notice how it makes you feel.

Now, if this book is required reading, and it sounds like it is, there must be some value in it or the professor wouldn't have required it. Let's just be with that.

So, let's create a purpose around finding that value. So, let's try, "My pupose is to be attentive in my listening as I read this author's writing, and be alert to the most valuable messages he/she has for me, SO THAT I CAN, prepare an outstanding paper for this quarter..." The "So That I Can" is very important as it solidifies the directive for your mind.

And remember Purpose is an emergent activity. It can change, and that's okay. State your purpose before the activation as well and go for it again.

Remember to study in short 20 minute time frames so as not to fry the brain or bore it to death with "this material." Instead,, make a shift and have some respect for the author. Invoke his intelligence and invite him into a conversation with you.

"Mr. SoandSo, I appreciate the time you've spent in your life, putting this book together for future generations. Thank you for all of your hard work. I invoke your brilliance and ask help me understand your material so that I can apply it to my purpose and complete my paper, make my oral presentation, etc...Thank you very much."

Do it and see how it goes! And remember to NOPS - Notice It, Own It, Play with It, Stay with It!

Millicent St. Claire!
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

One of the things that make it boring is the fact that it seems overwhelming. A reason the procrastination bug shows up.

Chunk it down. Follow the idea of syntopic reading and draw a mind frame. In this case make it a base mind map with what you need to know to in order to pass the class. Create branches in readiness for the who, what, when, where, why and how.

Continue to PhotoRead the material and activate to fill those areas of the mind map. It will help you keep the focus and see progress through this dense material.

It is important that you know what you are expected to know / prove at the end of the class. That makes it easier to define your purpose and follow through on the questions.

AlexK

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved