Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#75391 03/20/10 11:26 AM

Starchild, well, you see, if you plan to create a great forum, you will never accomplish your vision by selling something AND maintaining forum. It has to be the main goal, and not to create a forum, correspond with people, and then you can seel something. It should be sort of a hobby.

I am helping one monastery, pay and help to maintain their Web site, and there is a forum on that Web site. It took more than a year for that forum to keep it up and running, and you just can't imagine how difficult it is to keep clean from spammers every day, to delete and grant subscriptions, and so on. It's not difficult, but the work is routine, and it sometimes kills me smile Still, if there is a good idea, and there will be at least 20 active members, it is possible to think of some sort of forum project and discuss wisdom stuff there smile

Reverend #75400 03/21/10 12:12 AM
Starchild
Unregistered
Starchild
Unregistered

Thank you Reverend: that is one of the reasons why I do not do it: I would have to spend my entire time just doing that. Later on, perhaps in private, as we are already doing, I'll tell you the main reason why I will not do that.

In the meantime, have a good Sunday!

Starchild

#75406 03/22/10 01:27 AM

If you want to run a forum, then make it private only so you don't have to worry about spammers, etc. You invite whoever you want from other forums.

Starchild
Unregistered
Starchild
Unregistered

Frankly, Uniquesoul, I would'nt know how to do that, how to create a Forum I mean.

Starchild

Originally Posted By: uniquesoul
If you want to run a forum, then make it private only so you don't have to worry about spammers, etc. You invite whoever you want from other forums.

In such a case forum will never be a real forum, it's a discussion that can be coreesponded by e-mail smile

Actually, there should be some time taken to moderate every forum, and of course, it requires some work on your part, or on someone you trust, or hire to do such a work...

#75416 03/23/10 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Starchild
Frankly, Uniquesoul, I would'nt know how to do that, how to create a Forum I mean.

Starchild

Go to the Holosync Ning Forum:
http://meditationgroup.ning.com/
On the righthhand side after you scroll down towards the middle of the page there is a link called "Create a Ning Network". It should help you to create a forum which you can set to private to avoid spammers, etc. and make moderation easier. You can invite people you like and get them to propose new members.

I disagree, Reverend, about a private forum being replaced by emailing. You can do that through YahooGroups, but it serves a different purpose. If a forum is set up in an orderly fashion, then information can be retrieved from it in the future. It is more complicated to do it through YahooGroups which can be more open to spamming. Past discussions can be very helpful and can be easily updated on a private forum. Also people tend to be a bit more open about private matters on a private forum than they are on a public one. Of course, a small forum may also become deserted after a while. Moderating a big forum is a hell of a lot of work even if you set up a group of moderators. Unless you make a forum accessible through a fee or full of banners which pay you some money, you cannot hire anybody.

Go to the Holosync Ning Forum:
http://meditationgroup.ning.com/
On the righthhand side after you scroll down towards the middle of the page there is a link called "Create a Ning Network". It should help you to create a forum which you can set to private to avoid spammers, etc. and make moderation easier. You can invite people you like and get them to propose new members.

They have very poor forum engine, so to chat only privately maybe will be useful, but not more. Also, setting such forum will not guarantee you frequent backups, so you may lose all the database in one minute if they experience severe hack attack on their servers, anf then you won't have any possibility to retrieve it.

I disagree, Reverend, about a private forum being replaced by emailing. If a forum is set up in an orderly fashion, then information can be retrieved from it in the future.

Well, maybe yes, I would agree by retrieving information in the future... Still, what use of private forums when it's much more interesting to read many views of the point you are talking about?

Quote:
Past discussions can be very helpful and can be easily updated on a private forum. Also people tend to be a bit more open about private matters on a private forum than they are on a public one. Of course, a small forum may also become deserted after a while.

Are you participating in any private forums, BTW?

Quote:
Moderating a big forum is a hell of a lot of work even if you set up a group of moderators.

Not as difficult as it may seem like. Setting up takes something like a week, or a bit more to test if everything is working, then moderating - not more than 20 minutes a day, and you can still moderate it 3 times a week if you want.

Quote:
Unless you make a forum accessible through a fee or full of banners which pay you some money, you cannot hire anybody.

Your forum must be REALLY good to earn something on banners. We have a forum, discussion on Christianity hosted on the Web site of one monastery in Ukraine. There are more than 100 visitors daily. We used to put a Google Adsense there, and it earned around 10 EURO per month, so we took it off there, since those ads were a bit annoying...

If you set up a fee to join a forum, I think very few people would choose to pay. Earning from banners, or context ads is more preferrable, but forum has to be really popular to earn at least 200-300 USD per month.

Reverend #75422 03/23/10 08:48 PM
Starchild
Unregistered
Starchild
Unregistered

Thank you for the information, Uniquesoul:

I did start to set up my private forum yesterday, but halfway through itI decided Not to because I realized that nobody is interested in what I would like to share anyway: I can see from the LSC forum responses or, better, lack of them.

Anyway, thank you so much, have a great day!

Starchild

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved