Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#788 02/07/03 12:01 AM
OP Offline

Hey, I read a bunch online about self-hypnosis. So basically you get so you are like ultra-relaxed in the hypnotic state. But you are still conscious and can think and everything. And then you give yourself suggestions "My memory is consistanly and increasingly becoming more powerful." or something positive? And then you gradually come out of it yourself? Or do you like record the whole thing and then just listen to it?

#789 02/07/03 12:56 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Either way works fine. If you can stay with it long enough you can do it without a recording since often you want to change it somewhat anyway. You can also produce a tape. This frees you of remembering all the steps and affirmations that you wanted to tell yourself while at the Alpha/Theta level.

Some people just grab a trance inducing tape and stop it when they feel that they are at the right level for implanting their own affirmations rather than pre-recorded ones.

Many roads lead to Rome. It's a matter of just picking one. Fortuately you can try a few techniques. Don't overlook the method Win provided in the Genius Code course. And the easy way to get back to your best experience . That is useful in Self Hypnosis too.

Alex

#790 02/07/03 01:03 AM
OP Offline

wait. Yeah, what state actually is the hypnotic state? You said alpha/theta. Is that really it? Can you just get yourself down to that level and tell yourself suggestions? How can that possibly work? Like with the robotnik and the calculator, how can just giving yourself suggestions really be that powerful?

#791 02/07/03 01:41 AM
Administrator
Administrator

It is. People using the Silva Method of mind control have been doing a form of Self Hypnosis for years. It is basically summed up with the statement "What the mind can conceive and beleive the mind can achieve."

The belief factor is one of the most difficult ones we need to deal with and the best place to deal with them is at the Alpha/Theta level. We are hypnotised to some degree or another every day of our lives. In fact all hypnosis is a form of self hypnosis. The best place to plant affirmations that is at the alpha theta level because at these levels our mind is dealing with subjective reality. An area of the mind where even the most fantastic ideas can be created and are accepted as possible by the mind because disbelief is suspended. It is these levels of the mind where the Fantastic Voyage like ideas become very real and very possible. (Just check some of your daydreams - those times you have gone into a trance and are functioning with a predominance of alpha or theta brainwave pattern. It is when these brainwave patterns are dominant that you are in a hypnotic state. For the mind to do something we must first believe it is possible. The best way to do that is check with the mind. If we want to change our beliefs about something we often need to experience the belief that something else is true.

The best time to program the mind is when it has a dominance of alpha/theta brainwave pattern. During this time we are focus within and on our thinking processes rather than expending the higher brainwave energy dealing with the outer world. The removal of distractions allows the mind to provide the answers to the body or conscious mind and we inform the mind that we want this information consciously. The information is always there we just haven't asked for itand developed our body mind connection. We ask the mind to perform a certain function and then we need to accept/trust the signals/answers that it gives us. Accuracy builds as the conscious mind becomes aware of the signals.

Self hypnosis coupled with the conscious belief that it is possible allows the mind to creatively expand what it is capable of. It will probably take a few self hypnosis session to overcome the limiting beliefs of the conscious mind before you see results.

Why not use advance civilization toolbuilder to discover how they moved the bain calculator into action? Perhaps within that you'll discover some ideas that you can incorporate into the Self hypnosis techniques.

Alex

#792 02/07/03 01:52 AM
OP Offline

how do you know that the suggestions have worked? I a computer guy so i tend to like to test things out. Do you know of a way that I can do it that will allow me to test if the results arent just placebo?

#793 02/07/03 02:22 AM
Administrator
Administrator

In one sense self hypnosis is like running a computer program you put in the program and then run it to see what happens. Then you work the bugs out by repeatedly using the program. Even when the program works perfectly for ages we suddenly have times when the program manages to do something weird and wonderful (it stuffs up).

With self hypnosis the placebo effect is the self fulfilling prophesy. The mind tends to live up to your beliefs. Whether conscious or unconscious. Rather than destroy this powerful tool of the mind... use it.

Testing it out is trying it and see what happens is the only way you'll set a path toward what works and discarding what doesn't. If there were one failsafe method that alway's produce the result desired inspite of what a person holds true then you are well on your way to creating a robot.

It is the makeup of our individual beliefs and disbeliefs that accelerate us to, or hold us back on, solutions to personal challenges.

That is why we learn at different rates things like: image streaming, photoreading, cooking, calculus, astromomy, mind sciences. Some things will never interest us enough to explore in the first place.

We don't know what works until we've built the prototype and there is always room for improvement (like updates and different versions of computer programs) The first program you write won't be the last. Once one is running you get ideas that you want to us to make it better.

Try it and see. And if it is the Placebo effect that is working... great! Because the placebo effect is a demonstation of the powers of the minds ability to produce the results you seek.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited February 06, 2003).]

#794 02/07/03 02:31 AM

Ok, you need to understand-- as you design your test-- that the power of suggestion and the placebo effect are one and the same. They are related to the same aspect of the mind that deals with such "programming". As to how, and how the alpha-theta state relates to this, the answer is that nobody knows for sure. In other posts I made explicit the fact that just alpha-theta or just alpha, or just theta, doesn't really mean much. The same person showing dominant theta patterns could be in REM sleep, hypnogogia, hypnotic trance, or deep meditation. All these states are qualitatively different. The fact remains that the patterns of electrical activation in the brain are very complex. Gross EEG measurements are only a rough indication of general brainwave activity. As for specific research done on the hypnotic state, I believe that in the book Cross-Currents, by somebody Beck or Becker (I cannot remember), I read that in true trance states the electrical potentials across the skin surface of the entire body is weaker, and that there was some change in the back-front vector of brainwave activity... I could be wrong about this info. so I suggest you check it out for yourself.
I have two ways of verifying suggestion effectiveness. First, in self-hypnosis I can create states by suggestion and perceive the change instantaneously-- for instance, if I say "I now float on a wave of euphoria", I immediately feel a strong euphoric sensation rising through my body. The other method I use to verify suggestion effectiveness is just plain-old experience. I keep track of my mind-states throughout the day and notice if any of them have been affected by suggestion.
One interesting phenomenological speculation about the mind, relating to self-hypnosis, is the power of intent. It seems that intent plays a large role in the formation of consciousness-fields (getting into metaphysics here), and that these fields may literally pervade our bodies, including our brain, by nature of their non-spatiality. Obviously, various levels of interconnectedness abound within our consciousness, and these "relationships", have certain elements which are beyond our individual intent unless we specifically address them...these we call subconscious or unconscious "relationships" or bakchak--literally imprints-- in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. I think that hypnosis is a state in which we have accessed a kind-of channel whereby intent can be directed at the subconscious imprints-- the sum of which we classify as "subconscious". Meditation and other forms of concentration do this as well but in self-hypnosis we use a very directed, verbally oriented route of access. Whereas in meditation one quite frequently is taking a purely "concentrative" approach, the goal of which is to be able to orchestrate "mind-states" which integrate subconscious resources in a different way.
Anyways, sorry about the lecture but I felt it to be neccessary in understanding some about the metaphysical implications of suggestion and intent. I recommend that one check out Rupert Sheldrake's ideas about morphogenesis, and his research on pet psychic powers to understand more about intent. URL: www.sheldrake.org.

#795 03/04/04 05:12 PM

I've been doing this with a positive affirmation tape for about 2 weeks. 10 days at about an hour a day. I can totally feel the difference. I've now created my own personal affirmations and have been using that only for 2 days. I am amazed at the progress I'm already making.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved