Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tasha Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,

I have problems concentrating to study for a class I'm taking at MedSchool. It takes me 3hrs to "finally concentrate" to get some studying done (about 30-40min). During those 3hrs my mind very often wanders away. I made an appnt with a psychiatrist to get tested for ADD but I really don't wish to resort to drugs (but I'm pretty desperate). I have Focus& Concentration (is not very helpful for me), Memory Supercharger which is a little helpful for energy and to get me in the study "mood", but I need to actually "focus" and make my mind stop wandering around. So I purchased: Fresh start, Peak Performance, Personal Genius, Power Thinking, Self-esteem supercharger, Simplicity, and Success Built to Last.

Now (finally) to my question. What paraliminals should I listen to (what order &/or times) to actually concentrate and remember what I study/learn?

This is the first time where I truly have to study. Before (good old times) cramming, last minute reading, etc yielded good/very good results, even in advanced classes. I already know that I'm facing a lifetime of study issues but I don't have time to deal with all of my past at the moment. I just need to focus and study (which sounds very simple but for me, it isn't). This class has a lot of hard core memorizing.

I deeply appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Thank you.

I would reccommend "Get Around to it" and "Memory supercharger". Hope that helps.

I also recommend what Candis01 did along with Peak Performance. Whichever you feel is most helpful, listen to that before studying, or even alternate them.

Since you are having "focus" issues, I would also recommend studying for intevals of no more than 20 - 30 minutes at a time, with 5 - 10 minute breaks in between.

In 3.5hrs you would effectively have 6 separate study sessions. The breaks in between give your mind time to rest and recharge.

Finally, you may want to consider the Photoreading Home Study Course. With all the material you need to cover, it may help you to retain more of the information you are studying.

Tasha Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Candis and Tina.

It's not that I can't concentrate for 3hrs straight, during the time that I try to study, I start to study, 1 or 2min later my mind starts to wander. Then, I bring my mind back and then the same thing happens. So, I'm staring at a paragraph for 3 hrs (with walking and stretching breaks in between). After 3 hrs of fighting with my wandering brain, I can focus for 30-40min in which I do get some studying done but, by that time my body is tired (not to mention that in almost 4hrs I only get through a fraction of a lesson). What's worst, the next day, I can only recall about 10% of what I studied the previous day (which is very discouraging).

Thank you again for your advice Candis and Tina.

PS. I do have the Photoreading Home study course, but because I'm stressing out about this class, that brings unnecessary stress to learn to photoread (as is mentioned in the program). I'm still thinking of finishing the program but my class really is taking over "my world" at the moment.

Do 30 min of good cardio exercise before studying and when you are finished studying listen to memory super charger.
As far as photoreading go don't try to learn it play with photoreading and don't look for results. What I mean by that is after you finish studying just flip back through the chapter then close the book.
I really think good cardio exercise before hand will do the trick. When I use to go to church services or school classes I would fall asleep or my mind would wonder around about random stuff but when I started lifting weights and jogging before hand I would be focused like a laser.
Your diet has a very big role with concentration too.

For everything that we succeed or don't succeed to accomplish in life, we use a certain strategy. We use the wrong strategy if we don't like the results we get.

You need to become aware of how you are doing this mind wondering. This doesn't just happen outside of you. You are creating it, albeit unconsciously, that's why it feels like it's happening to you.

Watch yourself what do you do when you start reading. Do you loose motivation? Do you think about things that seem more important? And whatever the method is, change it. If you start thinking in your mind, change the voice. If you are getting visualizations of some place change that. Basically you need to break the pattern you are using to help yourself wonder.

Maybe try some neurofeedback first, then go back to the Paraliminals. I believe the Paraliminal Accelerator is a very good program to help you coordinating a group of Paraliminals.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:
I can focus for 30-40min in which I do get some studying done but, by that time my body is tired (not to mention that in almost 4hrs I only get through a fraction of a lesson). What's worst, the next day, I can only recall about 10% of what I studied the previous day (which is very discouraging).

You didn't mention this in your e-mail to me. The ability to only focus 30 to 40 minutes at a time is normal. 4 hours unlearning takes place.

As I said in my reply which bounced back a few times. Set a timer for 10 minutes. Do what you can in that time and then come back and check your purpose. Then set the timer again for another 10 minutes.

It's only 10 minutes so permit yourself to stay focused and do the task you've set for yourself. Check your purpose each time the timer goes. Did you achieve what you set out to do? If not now you can get back on track for the next 10 minutes. If you don't have a purpose you don't have a reason to be focused.

AlexK

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved