Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
zebra Offline OP
OP Offline

I’ve read on the net at http://www.martialdevelopment.com/blog/experience-with-spring-forest-qigong someone claiming to quote Chunyi Lin as saying that 20 minutes of meditation in the Full Lotus posture is the equivalent of 4 hours in any other posture. Is this remotely true? I’m very inflexible in the hip joints now and I’m wondering whether to put in the necessary time and effort with yoga stretches to enable myself to do the Full Lotus safely and comfortably. Leaving aside the question of finding a physically stable posture for meditation, could I expect adopting the Full Lotus posture to significantly improve the effectiveness of my Small Universe meditation?

WEll, it did (improve the effectiveness of SU meditation) for me, but this one of those "YMMV" issues. I did some things to open up the hips, and I also tried some enzymes that helped me. But it has been well worth it.

You can try starting with one of the easier cross-legged postures, and other sitting meditation postures and working your way up. I have found that the so-called "Burmese" sitting posture, helped me when I could not (and sometimes when I still cannot for various reasons) get into Lotus position. This is a position where the legs are folded in front of you, but NOT crossed. Seiza (Japanese kneeling/sitting) position is also good and helps prepare for Lotus. And of course, there is half-Lotus, which if you alternate, will also prepare you for Full Lotus.

Hope this helps.

blessings,

Steve
zebra Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Steve. (I don’t know what YMMV means but I get the general idea.) What enzymes do you mean?

If anyone else visiting this page is interested in preparing for the Full Lotus, you may like to see the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAeDzIbM5M . I’ve also found the videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7lIsq77YWI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0FZRfLusM instructive.

I have absolutely no medical training or expertise in any kind of bodywork and it’s a matter for your own judgment whether or not to follow the advice given at these sites.

Jo

zebra Offline OP
OP Offline

I would still welcome any responses to my original question. Has anyone used the Full Lotus posture for meditation? Does it make any difference to the quality of your meditation?

Jo

YMMV = Your mileage may vary. I.e. every experience is unique and individual.

What I meant is for me, Full Lotus made a HUGE difference to the quality to all of my meditation, most especially SMall Universe (less time needed and more effective).

So, the point of YMMV, is similar to your last caveat in your last post above: it is a matter for individual judgement and what is best for one person may not be best for others.

Part of what Master Lin points out about Full Lotus aside from the stability of the posture (I always feel more stable in it), is the way that energy points are open to the earth and heaven with palms and feet up, five points are up: bai hui (top of head), Laogong (center of palms), and Yong Quan (bottom of feet- aka "bubbling well point" or "bubbling spring") and the bottom of the torso is pointing towards earth, channeling earth and heaven energy in the strongest possible way.

Anyway, I am sure more people will eventually chime in to give you more feedback.

However, you at least have one person (me), Master Lin for sure, and if you search the forum for "Full Lotus" or "Small Universe sitting position" etc, you will find a LOT of responses if you need more.

As for the enzymes, this refers to systemic enzymes which help break up deposits in the body. There are a bunch of different brands and combinations. You can read a little bit about it here:
http://www.systemicenzymes.net/
http://www.staytuned.ws/systemic_enzymes.html
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james174.htm
It was my SFQ brother, Hakim from England, an herbal healer from a long line of healers, who first pointed these out to me and they really do help.

blessings,

Steve
zebra Offline OP
OP Offline

This is very interesting, especially your use of the word HUGE in block capitals!

Many thanks
Jo

Hi Jo
I recently started Level two of SFQ, and the full lotus posture and it's benefits are explained in detail there. There are also exercises to help your flexibility, so you can work your way up to the full lotus. As of now, I cannot reach the position, but I will tell you that changing to the modified version of the full lotus has greatly improved the results I am getting from my practice. I am really surprised by the difference.

Probably the best way for you to discover the answer is to try it yourself, either sitting cross-legged, or in whatever approximation you can get to the lotus position.

Brenda

Originally Posted By: zebra
This is very interesting, especially your use of the word HUGE in block capitals!

Many thanks
Jo

You are welcome. And thank you for your appreciation of my use of the word "HUGE". I hope it helps.

blessings,

Steve
zebra Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Brendann
Hi Jo
I recently started Level two of SFQ, and the full lotus posture and it's benefits are explained in detail there. There are also exercises to help your flexibility, so you can work your way up to the full lotus. As of now, I cannot reach the position, but I will tell you that changing to the modified version of the full lotus has greatly improved the results I am getting from my practice. I am really surprised by the difference.

Probably the best way for you to discover the answer is to try it yourself, either sitting cross-legged, or in whatever approximation you can get to the lotus position.

Brenda

I am encouraged! Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Jo

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha zebra,

The journey to getting into a the lotus position for your meditations can be one of healing all of it's own. Remember that just like being a vegan or vegetarian, the ability to do the full lotus does not a good or healthy person make.

The sitting postures section isn't the "end all" of preparing yourself to work into the full lotus, however it is suitable for most situations. Take your time. Do the stretches (I'd suggest rubbing your hands warm and sending energy as they hold the hips and knees during this), and work your way through the easier sitting positions on your journey. Just as someone with back issues wouldn't be doing the dolphining of the body to the extent and speed Chunyi does in the course, nor would you want to rush yourself into a posture your body has not been prepared for. Working with a reputable yoga instructor in this area is advisable as well.

There are a lot of reasons why Master Lin talks about the benefits of being in the lotus position during meditation. Some of which are mentioned by our friends above. One big reason that hasn't been brought up yet it the opening of the superior bone and sacrum. This area affects the flexibility of the entire body and is key to not only healing of the lower half of the body, but the health of the whole.

If you are expecting the seas to part and a heavenly choir to ring in once you've got into it...well, it's not in most cases going to be like that. Will you be taping into experiences and energy that are perceivable as well as those that are not that you would not have had with a regular sitting position? Yes.

Are you going to get benefit from doing the active exercises and sitting meditations in the best way you can, even without being able to sit full lotus? Yes.

Let me recommend you first start by looking at how, what, and where your are currently sitting for your meditations -and right now in front of your computer while we're at it! wink straight back, feet flat on the floor, shoulders relaxed, hips above the knees. You'll be amazed at how sitting in a posture-friendly chair, rather than a "comfortable recliner or couch can improve your meditation, if only because your bottom isn't sinking below your knees and your back isn't slouching. Your Chiropractor has all sorts of information and support s/he can give you regarding your posture and everyday sitting.

Take a minute to stretch and warm up your hips, knees, and ankles as Chunyi shows, before your sitting meditation-even if it's just upright in a chair, and start on your road to a better sitting posture.

Much Love,

Shawn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved