Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi,

I've just finished the PhotoReading course and I'm now practicing PRing and activating different books from my own shelves. I would love to hear about any tips or experiences from people who use the PR method to read materials that are not in their native language. I'm referring to subject books, not books about learning a language.
My native language is Engish but I live in Spain. I'm a fluent Spanish and Catalan speaker but as my preference for reading has always been in English, I've never read much more than the newspaper in Spanish. But now, my greatest access to reading materials from the local library will be in Spanish and Catalan since the English collection is tiny!
Evidently, I'll have to PR them in whatever language they're written in but I'm wondering whether to activate them using my own language (English) or the language the book is written in. I guess I'll try both since activating in the second language will also improve my vocabulary in that language but I wonder if anybody in the Forum has any thoughts on this and how it affects recall or understanding at a deeper, more lasting level.
Thanks!
Rachel

Learning Strategies Admin

Activate them in the language. You might surprise yourself.

My reply is based on my experience and experiment. Which I reported on the forum already.

Alex

OP Offline

Thanks for your quick response, Alex. Was your previous post a recent one? I tried doing advanced searches before posting my query with a variety of key words for this topic but didn't come up with anything.

Alas, searching is imperfect in finding specific threads. It was originally posted in 2002.

here's the link
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=69035

Alex

OP Offline

So I'm finding (or not)! Thank you, again!

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved