Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ludo Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everyone,
I'm french and I've bought the book (in French) 3 weeks ago. Sorry for my english, i haven't spoken or written in english for 10 years.
I think I understand well the method, all the steps, how to be in the idal state.
I've tried the method with : books using all the steps, with many other books using only the photoreading step in order to have spontaneous activation.
I try to use on work documents, with all the documents I have to read and with magazines and newspapers.

I have difficulties with the activation step : I don't know when to dip so in consequences I read a lot in the book and all I remember is from my conscient reading so it's not good.
I don't have spontaneous activation but I think it's quite normal.

What I need is : a personal proof. What kind of try or exercise should I do to have a proof?
How can I do to have intuition while activating?

Thanks,
Ludo.

Ludo,

From what i'm reading ^, your purpose is not exact. You need to be very precise for your purpose. For example lets take Network Security for example. Your wondering about packetsniffers. You may have a generalized purpose such as "I need to know everything about packet sniffers"..this doesn't work to well from my experience. So that being said you need to have something very specific such as "How will packetsniffing help me when i'm a the network administrator"? You see the difference? Another example may be "What function in wireshark does this or that"? Obviously you would fill in the words for this or that.

Hope this helps

I'm also translation the ^ to french for you.

Ludo,

D'après ce que je lis ^, votre but n'est pas exact. Vous devez être très précis pour votre but. Par exemple prenons la sécurité des réseaux par exemple. Votre s'interroger sur packetsniffers. Vous pouvez avoir un effet généralisé comme «J'ai besoin de tout savoir sur les sniffeurs de paquets" .. cela ne fonctionne pas au bien de mon expérience. Donc, ceci étant dit, vous devez avoir quelque chose de très précis tels que «Comment packetsniffing m'aider quand je suis un administrateur du réseau"? Vous voyez la différence? Un autre exemple peut être "Quelle fonction dans Wireshark fait ceci ou cela"? Il est évident que vous remplissez les mots pour ceci ou cela.

Ludo Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your answer.
About the purpose, I try, as much as possible to have a specific, precise purpose. I've read a lot this forum and I've understood the importance.
Nevertheless you're right telling it to me because sometimes I start photoreading too fast and my purpose isn't enough specific and clear.

hum, I'm wondering If you're speak about the purpose we have before photoreading or if you're speaking about the key words and questions we elaborate after photoreading and that we have to review and think about while activating.

Each time I photoread I try now (when I have time) to think about how I photoread (when I've finished) to figure out what I must improve. And I often read again some parts of the book (of P. Scheele) to catch even more informations. I think this is normal.

Now I'm not perfect at all, it's sure but I think I know well how to photoread.
One of my problems or difficulties is that sometimes I don't have (or don't take) enough time to do it as I should do. But i'm correcting this and now I try to photoread only if I have time to be in the good state.

As everyone I assume, at the beginning I really believed in the method. While trying and not succeeding I became to be less confident in the method. So I came here and read a lot on that forum to have my confidence back and it worked.
But to have a big and strong belief I need a personal proof. What would be the best exercise I could to get a proof?

Go to London, get lost hungary and tired.

Now ask in English only for directions, order food, find a bathroom and a dark beer before climbing into some bed you found by speaking English.

There is no proof except in the doing or using the skill you expected to gain with Photoreading.

Keep the feedback loop short and to the point.

Ludo Offline OP
OP Offline

On this forum I've read something about a dictionnary game but it's not explained in the book.
I was wondering if there was others exercise (or try) to do?
Maybe trying with short texts without previewing and without postviewing would be useful to see if something is coming from the subconscious while activating?
Maybe there are others methods to activate which could be useful?
Maybe photoreading, incubating and activating with freenoting would be a good "exercise"? (without previewing and postiewing)

I don't know if my goal while posting here is clear : I'm searching advices, tips, exercises to do which could be easier and could convince me it's working (and i'm doing quite well).

With the method : having a clear purpose, previewing the book to understand what it is about and how the author has structured the book, being in the good state ... all these tips help me a lot because i used to start reading without taking time to understand the structure...
But as long as I don't feel any intuition from my subconscious while activating, I don't know if the photoreading step is useful and if i'm doing well.

What I understand from your post, Yukala is that the only way is to keep doing it, keep doing all the steps and wait for intuitions while activating?

Last edited by Ludo; 08/23/10 06:49 PM.

Originally Posted By: Ludo
What I understand from your post, Yukala is that the only way is to keep doing it, keep doing all the steps and wait for intuitions while activating?

Looking for proof on a personal level requires engaging in some activity that proves it to you. Not Photoreading itself but rather in applying the 'content' of that which was Photoread.

As in being lost in London and not a native English speaker or taking a test or building something after ONLY having Photoread the directions.

For a new language:

You need read, write and speak in that new language after you Photoread how to read, write and speak that new language. Are you using a translator from French to English right now here in this forum for instance? Using a translator will prove nothing for instance.

How can you know or prove without some kind of direct application that proves it? Intuition is only as good as it proves out by test of experience and logic, otherwise it is just speculation.

Any new skill is a 'what if' until it is not.

Ludo Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Yukala,
I think I've understood what you're saying.
To answer your questions : I don't use a translator to write in English (only for some words I've forgotten). I learned english as school (and also have lived 2 months in California for a summer job). I haven't spoken and written for a while but I've read a lot this forum before posting so my English is coming back. (It's easier for me to write than to speak).
So reading books in English won't help me to have a proof.

I'll search for an activity I can't do actually, photoread books "how to" and try to do it.

Thanks.

Well good fortune!

It can be a tricky mind-set to switch to 'I can because I do'.

Photoreading or that which is like it will not of itself give you new skills or 'make you a genius', only follow through of goodly thinking into a thing and doing by proof can.

Kind regards,

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Ludo,

If you are having difficulty with activation it's probable that you haven't asked any questions before you start activation.

To activate ask questions that relate to your purpose and find answers. Find the answer? Move on ask the next question.

The dictionary game is just a game. PhotoRead the dictionary and then think of a word. Guess where the word is on the page. Notice how close you are. It's just a game

Another purpose for the dictionary. PhotoRead the English to French French to English version a few times. Daily for a month perhaps and then notice your reading and recall of English. You might find yourself looking less at the translator.

When activating start with about 3 questions you would like the author to answer for you. As you see more, more questions would show up. If your purpose is clear you'll know when you have what you need and all that you need.

Alex

Ludo Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your answer.
When I do all the steps I write down my purpose and the questions I have, using the trigger words.
I've tried on a book that I've read before but not totally. I've found all the answers about my questions but without feeling any intuition. I've finished the book and I know all the important informations I was looking for. But if I did it without the photoreading, just reading the end of the chapters and then some parts of the chapters to complete my understanding I would have had the same result I think.

I have the same experience while reading work documents. I do it everyday now, with many documents. Thanks to the book of photoreading I can read faster and have a better understanding because :
- I have a purpose
- I have questions
- I am more active than before
- I don't try to read everything, I read faster when it's not important or sometimes I just don't read some parts because it's not useful for my purpose.
Everyday at work i'm looking for new documents to photoread and thanks to this, I've learned many intersting things.
I really apreciate those improvements.

Another positive point : i have better concentration, even when i'm just thinking thanks to the mandarine and the relax breathing. And finally i think i've improved my global view of my project. My right brain seems to be more active than before.
Maybe I'm on the way to become a photoreader and I just have to be patient.

I'll try the dictionary game and i'll try to photoread the dictionnary french/english.

Ludo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved