Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76972 11/01/10 12:36 PM
OP Offline

I've been with the photoreading system for some time now but i've run into a odd situation. I picked up a book, that pertains to not only my college degree, personal interests, as well as my job but this book in particular was one of the most fascinating one's that I have enjoyed reading.

Usually I prepare, preview, photoread, postview, formulate my questions during postview as well as trigger words, write them down let it incubate then activate. The problem with this book in general was that I could not super read and dip it, the information was far to techincal and the signals in my head told me I needed everything. Looking back on that I was correct, everything I read really had some impact on me in some way shape or form. That being said sometimes when you read a book that is very technical in nature, and it's a interest of your's is this bound to happen? I didn't try treating the book as a new book in itself per chapter because I really think that takes more time to do that than if I were to just read the book front to back.

Can anyone explain to me what's going on? Perhaps offer some tips? I started photoreading to read faster and absorb more knowledge.

Last edited by diablo69er; 11/01/10 12:38 PM.
diablo69er #76983 11/04/10 07:56 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

I don't understand why you don't treat each chapter as a book in itself? When a book really interests me it gets a rapid read with the addition of treating each chapter as a book in itself. I did this during my PhotoReading seminar on the weekend. During the students activation assignments. I did what I needed to do for the lessons and then spent the remaining 3 to 7 minutes activating a chapter. All told I finished the book in 40 minutes including 6 pages of my own notes and ideas expanding on what I learned.

Alex

OP Offline

Alex,

How long was this book? How techincal was it? I don't read anything but technical books. I eventually started to treat each chapter of the book as a separate book. I also super read and dipped / skittered. I really find unless I have a specific (very specific) purpose, skittering helps me to quickly absorb everything that pertains to what I want to learn. More often than not I don't make multiple passes through the book. I started photoreading in hopes of reading more material in less time.

diablo69er #77018 11/08/10 08:14 AM

How technical is technical. That's in the eye of the beholder. And depends on the purpose I expect it to serve.

Technical books I always do multiple passes. If I try to do it in only one pass I have to slow down too much. It's faster superreading it more than once than to skitter or rhythmically peruse in just one rapid reading I'd only be reading books a bit faster not really making the best use of my reading time and ability to get better information from another book.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved