Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

As we all know,some subjects such as biochemistry are hard to learn because there are so much to remember!I tried to use photoreading when study these kinds of subject,however I seemed to get nothing in my conscious.So I wonder whether photoreading can help the process of memorizing.I hope you can help me.

I am memorizing a lot of physiochemistry and it seems to be working for me. Keep at it and I think you'll surprise yourself.
Lisa

How long does it take to have the experience of recall? I have been practicing for last 5 days with no evidence of recall or conscious memory? What was your experience Lisa, which kept you trying?

Chris

Learning Strategies Admin

Chris, Are you doing the activation step?

Oyoung, When you apply all of the PhotoReading system you will benefit in being able to remember what you read better. It is important to be active and use the activation techniques taught in the system.

Alex

OP Offline

Thank you for your help.And I still have some questions waiting to be answerd.
Subjects such as physics and maths need a lot of logical thinking.When I activated these subjects,I could not feel the process of thinking.After several rounds of activation,I still did not feel I had got a better understanding of the context.
The condition is serious especially when I photoread a derivation.Without a conscious understanding of most of the concepts appearing in the derivation,how can I really apprehend it?

Activation is bringing to conscious understanding. How are you doing your activation?

Have you learned the system on other text first so you can understand how to activate for conscious understanding and recall?

Alex

Hi Chris,
I photoread, sleep or take a break and activate over and over. It took about two weeks for me to really realize that I was getting it and that was after I took about a break from it and went back to the book. The best part was when I was asked a question from my mentor about the most common amino acid in the body, I came up with the answer out of nowhere! I couldn't believe it! My biggest problems was getting over the fear of not being able to do it--relax and do it anyway. THe worst case scenario, I'm going to have to regular read it anyway, so either way I'm going to get the material. When I relaxed it came together for me better.

Alex, Lisa,

I am currently photoreading a summary book for MBA. It has several sections covering all the topics of an MBA program. Almost every page is containing to-the-point details, formulas, tables, graphs etc. Instead of photoreading the whole book, I am reviewing, photoreading, postviewing and activating section by section. I am superreading and dipping for the activation but most of the time, I am ending up with traditional reading. Since the topics and the contents are all essential and dependent, my mind probing questions are pretty long and detailed. My mind maps are not too complicated or detailed but they are containing all trigger words and questions. To be honest, after weeks of experiment, I feel like all I recall is what I have dipped but not beyond. Do you have any suggestions on the method for such material?

Thanks
Chris

Use other sources as well. Like lectures and other books. They help open the mind.

Also avoid regular reading. If all you feel you can recall was from dipping you would have to regular read again. That would take about 30 to 45 minutes of traditional reading 10 pages of a textbook and you have to do it at least twice. So you you would spend an hour to 90 minutes with one chapter. That's normal for textbook material ideally you'd want to rapid read it last and that would take about 15 minutes for the traditional reader. You want detail but this method is too slow, right?

Use PhotoReading and use repetition.

Go through the chapter superreading first, find one or two answers spend something like less than 6 minutes with a 10 page chapter, Then skitter 2 or 3 times. 7 minutes each layer for that chapter. Assuming you did one superread and 3 skitters you spent 31 minutes with the chapter and eyeballed them 5 times already. Compared to the 75minutes to 2 hours that you spend with traditional reading to eyeball the pages 3 times. you spent 31 minutes with the PhotoReading system.You still have the option of a rapid read.

If you're not getting recall after 5 activation layers of 10 pages it means you are still passive in your approach. Your purpose isn't clear so your questions are weak. Know your purpose know what you aim to learn form the text and how you can apply what you learn and your questions are much more valuable.

Alex

Alex-
I will practice your suggestions for the new section and see the difference in result.

I guess the difficulty is the text that is very condensed which in a single page, there are 10-15 important definitions that might not be possible to ignore for dipping. Eventually, the list of questions I want to answer is becoming also long. If I get an answer to 2-3 questions per superread, I would need to repeat it dozen times.

Secondly, I understand the importance of the clear purpose but I guess I need a bit more direction on setting the purpose and the details I need to add to the purpose. My current purpose is in and around understanding fundamental and essential concepts, topics of section X, in order to apply them to my current work as well as comprehend the relevant topics discussed during the MBA class and pass necessary exams. It sounds a bit vague but this purpose is pushing me to trace all italic / bold character words and tables/formulas as they are already at a summary level.

I will appreciate your suggestions.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved