Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Learning Strategies Admin

The purpose of understanding concepts never works for me. If someone wants to teach me something I want more than concepts. How on earth can one apply a concept to work? It's vague because concepts are vague. It's like telling someone to tell you how to swim without going anywhere near water. That's a concept.

Understanding fundamentals, an example for the subject of swimming, To swim is propel through a body through water, by kicking kicking with feet and paddling with arms.

There you have the fundamentals of swimming.

If that is all you need from the book and that is your purpose then go with it. But if you're actually going to jump into water you want more than a concept and fundamental understanding of swimming.

If I need to know how to swim. That's simply not enough.

If a book is teaching me about brain surgery I want more than concept if I'm learning brain surgery because I want to do it or I want to know what the surgeon will be doing. I want to know what to do, how to do it, when to do it, What can go wrong and if I goof how to fix it. I need more than a fundamental understanding and concept. Give me the who what when where why and how so that I can use the knowledge.

What do you need to know and what do you expect to use in your work. Know what you need to know and expect to learn. Then you have your purpose.

Alex

That is interesting. That is what I was also not very confident.

I am sure you are knowledgeable in Accounting concepts (i.e. income statement, cash flow, balance sheet etc.). One of my objectives of learning Accounting is being able understand financial statements and develop reports at my MBA class and at my work. This is only one of the topics I need to study. Economy, quantification, finance, strategy, leadership are other subjects I need to work on as well. With some of them, I have knowledge and understanding to make more accurate purpose settings but others I do not know what to expect. I guess I need a bit more direction on setting a purpose for a topic. It will be great if you can give me an example besides swimming and tell me how purpose of learning Accounting should sound like.

I feel like accurate purpose setting is my issue.

Thanks again
Chris

These guys are not free. the 15 day free trial keeps going unless you cancel it. We got ripped off for $70 a month, for 5 months for a lousy binder filled with two cds. Why is there a monthly charge for something that does not occur monthly? Why won't they give me my money back if I am not satisfied with their service and I did not use their service beyond the first month?

lmcwade who did you buy the course from? Please contact me personally. The PhotoReading course consist of 8 CDs.

http://www.learningstrategies.com/Guarantee.asp

Alex

Hi, Alex,
I want to find something about how much time it take for activation, and finally I notice this:
Originally Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus

Go through the chapter superreading first, find one or two answers spend something like less than 6 minutes with a 10 page chapter, Then skitter 2 or 3 times. 7 minutes each layer for that chapter. Assuming you did one superread and 3 skitters you spent 31 minutes with the chapter and eyeballed them 5 times already. Compared to the 75minutes to 2 hours that you spend with traditional reading to eyeball the pages 3 times. you spent 31 minutes with the PhotoReading system.You still have the option of a rapid read.
Alex

So, for the textbook, it generally spend someone 5 hours to read 100 pages? (10 page:0.5 hour so-> 100 page:5 hours)
Ok, maybe it depends on the purpose, but how about if the purpose is: To pass the license examination?
Then with the Mind mapping, in general how much time it takes approximately for 100 pages ?
Since it spend 7 minutes to skitter around 10 pages. So for 20 minutes per layer, the time is not enough to skitter 100 pages (I've tried it for couples of months, but I can't do it within 20 minutes, actually It took me 3*20 minutes to skitter 100 pages only once). So how to skitter 100 pages in 20 minutes?

LT

It's not unusual for someone to spend 100 hours on a chapter. When you consider that sometimes whole semesters are devoted to part of the material of a textbook.

It always depends on your purpose. If you want to apply the knowledge you will activate and research more.

If it looked like you were going to spend 3 hours plus to skitter 100 pages I'd have stopped you at least 9 times and asked you what your purpose was. So you check in whith your purpose. Also I would have challenged you to start from the middle of the chapter not at the beginning. Returned you to focusing on getting what you need from the book in the order it relates to you and the knowledge you already have.

It's a mistake to think you have to read and understand everything the author is saying the first time through. Build in layers build onto your existing knowledge. Authors have no option but to write in some logical order. They may not teach you that way if you were sitting across from them in person. I know I wouldn't. Books are structured in some sort of logical sequence. Another author might write with a difference sequence. That's not to say either author is wrong. It's your job to read for meaning, and build on your knowledge. It's also your job to know if you already know it, to move on. And if you're not getting it, make a note to yourself and move on. The note is a reminder to come back to it on another layer. It's quite probable you could have finished the 100 pages in an hour or less.

Alex

Hi , Alex,
How could the purpose changed with activation?
If my purpose is something like that: I want to read this chapter such that I would be an eligible prosecutor.
Then if I'd activated after a layer, how this purpose would be changed? Is there any example? I have no idea, because I use the same purpose till it gel.

Quote:
be an eligible prosecutor.
That's a goal not a purpose. It doesn't explain why you are reading the book now. It's a nice long term student goal but not a motivating purpose for a book.

Look at purpose as the journey toward your goal. Your goal is a point on a map marked X. There are many routes toward your goal and on your way to that goal you need to collect a few items (of knowledge, understanding and abilites). You'll select a route to collect the first item, then plan (your purpose) for the next item. Your purpose has some stops along the way toward a higher goal. Purpose is path towards sub goals that lead to your main goal. Your purpose says which way you're going because your intention is to collect what you need on the way to your goal.

Which way I'm going ... I'm reading this book [title] to learn (item you want to collect) so that I can [how will this knowledge benefit you?] e.g pass the exam so I can continue with the next level or study. So that I can work in an office. So that I can teach / explain it to... So that I can write about it. So that I can use it in my career. So that I can... [unlimited reasons]

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved