Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Happy new year to you special people on the Effortless Success forum.

In the past months I have become aware of a tendency to 'consume' self-help courses, and just grab another free download from the internet..... to what purpose I ask myself?

Consequently, one of my resolutions for 2011 is to ensure I actually implement what I am reading/learning.

In recent weeks I have been rising at 6 a.m. and spend two hours on "Time 4 Me". I read, meditate, write gratitude logs, plan my day, write my journal, study, am mindful .... a time set aside especially for me.

I have also determined to make changes slowly. Once one positive change is implemented, and embedded (I consider 6 weeks of daily practice to be sufficient to call it a habit), I can set about implementing a new habit/ practice. Over the course of one year, I should have several positive alterations to savour.

I'll tell you why I am adopting the slow approach to change, rather than trying to go the whole hog immediately. Well, I'm 51 now and I need to seriously achieve some goals - not just play at them. Time is of the essence now. Yet I love myself enough to want to be gentle and loving in how I achieve change.

I recently read about the slow and steady approach to felling a giant tree (Bear in mind I am tree-mad, so that metaphor is powerful and highly visual for me). Imagine a giant oak or redwood or some mighty tree in the forest. You are given a sharp axe and only allowed to whack the tree trunk three times per day. So off you go each morning and you take three mighty swings of the axe and you make the best effort you can to cut into the trunk each time. That's all. Three fine whacks and then you go home. Not much to show for your effort after one day, is there? But after a week, a month, six weeks etc real progress is made. Every day before you take your three metaphorical swings, enjoy the impact your axe blows have already made over time. Know that with sufficient time, even the mightiest, toughest, tallest, strongest and most resistant tree will eventually be felled by your axe.

To achieve my goals this year, I am going to take the 'three swings of the axe per day' approach. Just comfortable steps but taken with monotonous regularity until I achieve my objective. No mad dashes for me.

Watch this space and see what I actually achieve.

I wish you all an Effortless Successful 2011.
Adieu, French Claire

Thank you for your insights and sharing your new objectives. I too have found myself asking if I'm actually making progress in personal growth or just burning through a lot of different programs. I think sticking with techniques, such as the Feeling Exercise, and mastering them through practice is preferable to building a bigger tool box. I'm looking forward to witnessing your greater life mastery in the coming year...and mine as well!

Last edited by thaffner; 12/31/10 03:45 PM.
OP Offline

Hi thaffner ;),
Thank you for your comment and for your words of encouragement.
I see that you are a fan of the Feeling Exercise (also from a later post), and I shall make it my business to research this and treat myself to a new technique if it fits my needs.

Wow. What a thought. "Witnessing my greater life mastery in the coming year" - that means this year, the clock is ticking and I have actions lined up. I'm off to accomplish the first one right now - every big/little step counts.

Yes, I am going to add "Life Mastery" to my list of divine inspirations this year. Thank you. And I wish you mastery in your life too!

Adieu, French Claire

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved